Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by kaylee, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

mssaprl

Hi!!
    Hey, do you get your teeth whitened?? They are REALLY white in the pic..... :)

2. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I wanna get mine whitened. I have gross teeth.

3. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah I get em' whitened!! I haven't done it in a while though and I need to!

4. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah, I didnt know what the hell was causing my hair loss til I found out my T was high (get your androgens checked ladies!!). I cried and cried because it was so high my Dr. thought I had a tumor..how scary is that! And finally I got the PCOS diagnosis...yet Im way thin..weird.

5. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I didn't know high T could be a sign of a tumor... tell me more, I'm interested now! :)

6. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Yeah, if testosterone is VERY elevated it could be a sign of an androgen producing tumor in the ovaries or adrenals. But they are very rare and usually cause deepening of the voice.

7. alicat

alicat Guest

whitening is awesome! i use crest white strips and they work wonderfully!!

8. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I know I have used the crest whitestrips too...they are pretty good if you use alot of them!

9. alicat

alicat Guest

use a lot of 'em?? like more than a box to achieve what should happen with only a box???

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I mean I didn't notice they were whiter until I used the whole box, and then to me it was only a slight change. But then people would comment on how white my teeth were...so I guess they worked better than I thought! Comes to show that we are our worst judge!

11. alicat

alicat Guest

i notice a difference half way thru the box. we're all different. i love white teeth :) ...but not TOO white.

12. VANESA

VANESA Guest

Also somebody asked what you can do if you are indeed diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin resistance). THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS.

There are 3 most important things which can change your life:

1) Eat LOW GI foods
    2) Get lots of exercise - reduces weight and insulin levels
    3) Take Metformin - balances insulin and blood sugar levels - Allows you to lose weight.

4) Losing weigh is important as less weight means less insulin resistance and metformin plays a big part in being able to do that.

Doing all three reduces free testosterone, raised SHBG, and reduces your chances of lots of diseased that people who are insulin resitant and who have PCOS can get longterm such as

A) Heart diseas and stroke
    B) Diabetes type 2
    C) Uterine, breast and all types of cancer
    D) Alzeimbers disease
    C) Aging in general - high insulin levles cause inflammation and inflammation is the main cause of all ageing of the body.

NB: AS I SAID -Taking Metformin is the only thing which enables some women to lose weight. .. as when you have high insulin you have 3 things going against you.

1) You put on weight very easily with High GI carbs
    2) You cannot burn this fat due to the high insulin levels so it sticks around stomach and wasit mainly and stays there
    3) High insulin levles increase your APPETITE.... mine was bigger than my fiances and he works a physical job and I work in an office - it was embarassing...

Now I am on the metformin , my appetite is normal and my sugar and carb cravings MUcH reduced.!!

13. alicat

alicat Guest

oooh. if i go on metformin i hope my sugar/carb craving will subside! i could eat sugary stuff all day.

14. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I ate a whole cake this morning and my mom is bringing me a chocolate sundae soon! :)

15. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

this is interesting because i live to eat sugar, love sweets and eat all i can even though i know sugar is bad for hair and skin but i cant help it, if i dont get it i feel shaky and crabby look out LOL

16. kaylee

kaylee Guest

hehe...my mom does that. And a lot more lately because she knows how sad I am.

17. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Uh OH, can sugar make your hair fall out? Cuz I eat a ton of it! Though Im not IR or even close!

18. alicat

alicat Guest

sugar won't make your hair fall out! i think what she meant was that sugar isn't the BEST thing for our body! obviously there are better things out there with vitamins in 'em that will make out hair/skin look better :)

19. kaylee

kaylee Guest

OH Good I love sweets! And I need it to feel better!

20. alicat

alicat Guest

look at all the girls who eat junk and have good hair! a lot of it is probably our stupid genes...