Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Amy questions about toplace!!!

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by piperkitty, Apr 18, 2005.

1. piperkitty

piperkitty Guest

Amy, I am going to order a toplace system. Did you order the video to help with the template?

I went for a consult with a former Farrel guy who told me to get a lace system with lace front and place it an 1/8th of an inch behind my hairline. I know you have lace, do you think I could use clips if I had a proper perimeter? This guy seemed to think I could and just glue the front down. He also claimed that I could match my part with the part on the topper and my scalp would show through.

Does this make sense to you? Any input would be most appreciated!!

Lisa

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Sorry to butt into your convo and not be any help but I was just curious about your former Farrell consultant ? was he a wearer ? could you tell if it was real etd ? I am having a bad day and looking for answers

3. Amy

Amy Guest

Piper,

So you would glue the lace down in front of your hairline or on top of your own hair? I am confused. Unless you glue down the lace to skin, lace will not work bc it cannot really hold a clip I would not think. If you want to have a clip in the front then you will want to have some other sort of perimeter like thinskin or poly. As far as matching up the part... hmmm... I am not sure about that. I guess if you had not hair there then it would work. You also could always line the inside with some sort of fabric to create the illusion of skin (like a silk or something). I hope this helps. :D

Amy

4. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Amy hope your well mate :lol:

5. Amy

Amy Guest

Hey Sally! I hope you are well too. I am hanging in there! :D

Amy

6. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

oh mate me too me too .... :?

7. piperkitty

piperkitty Guest

I didn't realize when I posted, that I'd be too busy to get back and check. Sorry.

The lace would be glued just behind my hairline. It is thin enough in the middle, that I could see doing this. I actually do the silk thing with my LOL even though it is a mono. I like the whiter scalp matching my own. I just don't want to get mono because it is so much more bulky. Thanks Amy for your help.

Lisa

8. Kitty what do you think of the lace vs the mono?

9. PsychicBarb

PsychicBarb Guest

Pics on Toplace site

I was just over there looking around, and something bugged me...

The pics of all the MEN were clear... but the FEMALE pics were all blurry... I wonder why that is? I am not sure I can trust a place that wouldn't notice or maybe bother to correct something like that.

10. There's a recent pic of a woman's front hairline here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1118708581 (scroll down a bit)

Looks damn good to me, but I've got a POS Paula Young wig with a front "hairline" that looks like a tattered Barbie doll's hairline, so anything looks good to me.

11. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

wow the hairline looks amazing ... I want it !

12. marsha

marsha Guest

Hey girls,

I am wondering if one of you can give me a really good description of a lace front. Pretend like I am totally out of it, and know nothing. Which might just be a teensy bit true :oops:

I have a fabulous ehh topper I just got that is gorgeous. I am just very curious as to what a lace front is, what the advantages and disadvantages are. Is it something to be worn under bangs?

TIA,
    Marsha

13. HeavenTree

HeavenTree Guest

Ladies,

That is my hairline you are seeing in the Toplace website, I wouldn't recommend it. Although it might look good in the photo, the hair is really dry and faded after two washings and the hair line does not look as good in person.

There is so much hair in this hair piece I don't know what to do with it. Although it was very inexpensive, I do believe in this case you get what you pay for. Cost for this piece was $295 US.

Just a word of caution, Toplace does not like to deal with women, they have said this themselves on their forum, they feel we are a hassle. I have heard that women have had better results with Cool Piece. I have not used them though.

14. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Hi Heavan Tree

I often go onto Toplace to read on there .. I have read recently teh one on Russian European hair .. I dont understand why they wont do female peices unless men are happy to wear any old "crud" on their heads .

I am sorry you were not happy with your peice .... I do beleive us women are far more fussy over things liek "hair" than the guys ... we have higher standards... so you not wear your peice any longer

15. HeavenTree

HeavenTree Guest

Hi Sally,

I have not worn it for about a week now. I am at a point right now were I am really down about my situation. I am usually positive and try to stay that way, but I am disappointed at having to spend money once again on a system that is sub-standard. With so much technology out there you would think that someone could come up with a product that is reasonably priced, looks good, lasts and is comfortable. As for the TL unit, I could probably send it back and get my money back, but I'll keep it for working out and as a back-up piece. I have to say one positive thing about it though, it is way more comfortable than wearing a wig.

I think that with Top Lace it is hit or miss with them. One time you might get a great product and the next you get garbage. Really, the piece I received looks like it came out of the bottom of the bargain bin. It looks like old hair they had laying around and they thought what the hell, she'll never know the difference. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Anyway, I went to a local hair replacement place in my city and I'm having a Euro piece done with a skin base, I have seen the work before I put my money down this time and the guy so far has spent 5 hours with me. This system looks and feels amazing, however, the cost is $1400 and will only last 6 to 12 months. I so don't want to get my hopes up again, but I really need to find a solution. I can't image having to spend $2800 a year on hair. I'm no Mrs. Brad Pitt with tons of cash laying around.

I was on the wig support site looking for help but so far they have been pretty unresponsive in terms of replying to my posts, so this as well has gotten me a bit down. I was hoping I could find a couple of off the rack wigs that were comfortable that I could wear on a daily basis that looked good and kept my pricey unit for vacation and special occasions. I guess I will call a few local salons here.

I am discouraged, I can deal with the hair loss, I'm just tired of spending money on garbage and starting over every day.

Thanks for listening.

16. Ooh, Heaven, I read BA's comments about working with women and they irritated me to no end! I hadn't realized I was so annoying, what with my wanting to look like a normal person and all...

However, I do think your piece looks a million times nicer than what I currently have, but I am currently wearing this mess, which is: perpetually knotted, frizzy and greasy at the same time, and the front hairline can only dream to be as nice looking as that.

I hope I get a good piece from TopLace, because I am counting on it for a big trip next month... it would be an utmost disaster for it to not work out. Which pretty much guarantees that it'll make me look like Morticia Adams.

Does anyone know of any sites that sell decent looking stock pieces, just in case I need one?

17. HeavenTree

HeavenTree Guest

Sweetie,

I don't want to rain on your parade about your vacation, however, don't expect TL to meet the delivery date they set.

They told me 6 to 8 weeks, it took 11 weeks, with a few follow-up emails in between. Contact Cool Piece and see if they have any stock pieces that they are willing to sell.

I really hope that they get you your piece in time and that it looks fabulous, give yourself sometime to find someone who will do a good cut in for you and make sure you have contacted Debbie and have a variety of glue and tapes on hand as they take some getting used to. My hair line on the TL website is after about a week of practice with tape and although you may think it looks good, in person I would not wear my hair off my forehead.

With a lace front it's really important to keep the lace clean, free of glue or tape residue and make-up.

Please let us know how things work out for you.

18. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Oh Heavan Tree I am sorry about this muck up .. I cant beleive that hair loss people have to spend a small fortune on hair peices and they are still sold rubbish ...

That BA in toplace aI am sorry to say sounds like a right loser .. he only gives a toss about the men and on there it seems to be guys BUYoiing each other up ... I dont think I will go on that site again now ...

19. Peony

Peony Guest

Hey ladies, I've been really happy with the Louis Ferre 4002 toppiece I got from Kathy. I wash it at least twice a week and the color and cap have held together and continue to look good. The scalp is not nearly as good as a top quality wig, but it can be styled to look realistic enough to have me out of the house and doing things I could not do without embarrassment before. Order it from kathy, not elsewhere on the internet, it costs about $200 depending on length, but here's a link to a pic of it:

http://store.wowwigs.com/hairpieces4.html

Note that the 4002 I wear was only $225 through Kathy!

Also, as it is just a little round cap, so it doesn't take over your head and you can run your hands all around your head and not know you're wearing a piece.

20. Merry

Merry Guest

Kiki Topper

Hi Ladies - I just want you all to know I was absolutely desparate for a hair replacement solution....then I got my Kiki topper which is the next best thing to my own hair. I have pics on Wig Support and Hair Habit.....I am really satisfied with this one! You absolutely get what you pay for in human hair. Take care, Merry