Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Andi (age 38, Androgenetic Alopecia For As Long As I Can Remember)

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by andiruns, Aug 25, 2017.

1. andiruns

andiruns New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I'm Andi, age 38, with diagnosed Androgenetic Alopecia. I've had thin hair as long as I can remember, with it getting really bad when I was in college (diffuse thinning all over). It's essentially been the same since then. I've tried Spironolactone, Rogaine, and now just use concealers, although my hair loss is still very noticeable and obvious. I look at pictures of women's hair on this site and I would be so happy if my hair looked like so many of yours :)

I go through stages where my hair bothers me less and stages where it bothers me more. I've recently lost 40 lbs and gotten into the best shape of my life, so I'm very happy with my body. Sadly, it seems my discomfort about my hair is coming back in full force.

I recently ordered my first topper. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm really hesitant to start wearing hair and need to do that all the time (because of the inevitable damage to my bio hair from wearing supplemental hair). I feel like I'm too young to commit to a lifetime of supplemental hair, and frankly, the care and maintenance and expense of supplemental hair seems overwhelming to me. I run and/or work out 5 days a week and can't figure out how that would fit in (as it is, I now wear hats or headbands when I work out).

Anyway, I'm not happy to be here but happy to have this community.

2. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Andiruns :)
    Although I'm younger than you (23years) I feel your struggle. By now I have lost almost 60% of my once super thick hair and that all happend in more than one year and I'm afraid what will I look like in 5 or
    10years.

I'm not wearing hair or topper since I still have enough to cover my head without scalp peeking through but if i was you i would give it a try with a topper. The only thing that makes me not to worry is the thought that there's plenty of wigs and i'm sure i will find the right for myself when the time comes. I know you are worried because you are still young but i'm even younger and i'm willing to wear wigs if i need to for the rest of my life because i'm sure that will make me 10 times better about myself and that is only that matters.

I wish you all the best and try not to worry to much,everything is 'figureoutable' :)