Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia and Infertility / IVF

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Blahblahblah, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Ladies. I've been reading this board for almost a year but still haven't found the courage or the energy to introduce myself. I will say that your courage and openness about this devastating problem have been my lifeline in some very dark times.

You'd think that having Androgenetic Alopecia is enough "luck" but in addition to it I am also myrtle infirtile. Well, both me and my husband - we both have issues. The doctors do not believe that my hair loss has anything to do with infertility; rather I just got a lousy draw genetically as pretty much every woman related to me on my mom's side has severe to moderate hair loss. None of them had issues getting pregnant and thus didn't have to make these awful decisions.

At this stage we are looking at IVF and the protocol my RE wants to put me on is the Lupron Down Regulation. Of course after I got home from that consult and googled Lupron, I discovered that 18% of women who take it experience hair loss. I really truly do not have enough hair or enough sanity left to lose. The RE didn't have much to say about hair one way or another, intellectually I understand that I came to him to get pregnant and he never promised and never set out to help me keep my hair and cannot understand the utter misery that life with Androgenetic Alopecia is for a woman. But I need to be my own advocate and hence I am here combing the internet for info on protocols and hair loss. I am just not coming up with much.

Do any of you have any experiences to share of words of wisdom on IVF and the most Androgenetic Alopecia-friendly protocols? Thanks.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter had IVF (and a lovely little girl). She has much better hair than I do and never had any issues that I am aware of.

3. mrm

mrm Guest

hi,

i don't think there is much correlation between infertility, IVF & hair loss but I haven't done the research. also, pregnancy enhances hair growth - i also had infertility issues & have Androgenetic Alopecia right now (i'm 45) - It DOES stink - However, I now have 2 beautiful children. I was told by a prominent RE that i wouldn't be a candidate for IVF b/c i had "diminished ovarian reserve" (at 40) - He gave me the donor egg speech. I got pregnant naturally 2 mths later. If you are a candidate for IVF and get pregnant, I don't think the drugs will negatively impact your hair loss but this is just my thoughts.

If you want any other info, please feel free to pm me. I will keep you in my good thoughts. please let us know what you decide.

mrm

4. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your responses. I am 32 and do not have egg quality issues. I dont have PCOS either. The doctor believes me to be a good candidate for IVF.

But the information I found about Lupron is that it causes hair loss in 18% of women taking it. A form of Lupron is used in chemotherapy - that's a huge red flag for me. I don't know how Lupron would affect someone who already has Androgenetic Alopecia but I am not sure I want to find out. I want a child more than anything in the world... I am just not sure I can be the kind of mother and wife I need to be if I go through a medically induced shed. There's just not much hair left for me to lose.

5. dying curls

dying curls Guest

To know if you hair loss and fertily issues are related, you need ot know the cause of your fertility problems.

I do not know of hair friendly protocol though...I hope there is one ..