Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by beelum, Nov 15, 2016.

1. beelum

beelum Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys, long time since I checked this forum. Basically my Androgenetic Alopecia never really resolved with Spironolactone and Diane 35 though I still have a full head of hair albeit thinner and not pretty like three years ago. I am 11 weeks pregnant and it seems like the hair loss has slowed down by 30 to 40%. More like if I was losing 50 strands in the shower, I now lose 20-30ish in the shower. I'm still having hair loss and I'm a bit concerned because I thought pregnancy makes you not shed any hair. With my last pregnancy when I didn't have Androgenetic Alopecia, I stopped shedding completely, like maybe one or two strands a day! But now that I have Androgenetic Alopecia to begin with, I guess my body is reacting differently to the pregnancy. Anyone here who has been pregnant with Androgenetic Alopecia? How was the hair loss for you during pregnancy? Did it take a while for your hair to stop shedding? Did it not stop shedding at all? It would be really helpful to hear about your experiences. Thank you!!!

2. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm about 8 weeks pregnant and my shedding hasn't stopped but it has definitely lessened. I used to lose about 130-150 hairs/ day but now I'm at about 100. I don't really know if this is because of my pregnancy or it's just another one of my fluctuations, which I've had off and on this entire time. I don't think you should expect pregnancy to completely stop your shedding though. How much are you losing a day now as compared to before?

3. beelum

beelum Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine has slowed down too but not significantly, before I was losing around 100-120 now its more like 70. I didn't have Androgenetic Alopecia Before my first pregnancy but after I stopped the pill, my hair started to fall and this kept on for a few months before I got pregnant, even then it took a while for my hair to totally stop shedding but I think at 12 weeks I was not shedding anymore. Now im 12 weeks and even though its slightly better its not at the level where I would like it to be, that is for my hair to actually get a little thicker or grow more during pregnancy. just thought pregnancy would be able to save some of my hair before I go through the crazy post partum shed again. I developed Androgenetic Alopecia after giving birth three years ago. :(