Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia - Anyone Had Counselling?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by SarahBee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. SarahBee

SarahBee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I'm new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone has had any kind of therapy or counselling to help them deal with their hair loss. I'm not coping too well and wondered if it would help.

2. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't, but if you feel so down about it getting some help might help you. It's definitely worth a try. I haven't ruled out getting help (have just had other health issues that have taken a front seat)

3. SarahBee

SarahBee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your reply. I think i will definitely look into this. I've had counselling in the past, but it's just been for my anxiety (which is largely triggered by alopecia) and the problem is that the counsellor hasn't really understood my issues. I need a counsellor that understands the impact of hair loss, but I'm not sure where to find that person.

4. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have too, but not for my hair. It can take a few goes to find the person that's right for you or has expertise in treating certain area's. Unfortunately I think, often, hair loss is one of those things that only people who suffer from it really understand. I find not even other women are understanding all the time, most don't even realize hair loss can be a thing in women.

5. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have! I actually did it at betterhelp.com so I FaceTimed with my counselor (via their secure website). It helped. It didn’t solve everything. Of course I’m still upset about hair loss! But it allowed me to let go of obsessing about it and just riding it out. I did about 5 months of weekly hour long sessions. It ran me $140 per month. I’d say it was worth it to be free from the obsessions. I can recommend the name of my counselor if you are interested. She’s had experience with several other women who dealt with hair loss.

Jawahir likes this.
  6. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also seeing a counselor for it and she's really helped me. It's not just hair loss that I'm stressing out about but significant signs of aging as well. I feel like I've aged a bunch in the last year since I found out about my hair loss. It's been a rough year.

7. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I did hypnotherapy for a little while and found it helped a bit. It was nice to work with someone who didn't try to convince me not to care about the hair loss, but who just helped me relax and cope with the anxiety of it.