Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia hair transplant

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by colline, Sep 2, 2010.

1. colline

colline Guest

Hello there

I am so confused and the only people i could turn to was you guys as are all expert hair loss googlers i would say and if not then expert consultant finders.

I have Androgenetic Alopecia or i think i do my hair is thin at the front and is now thinning at the sides with the back slightly thinner.

I went to two consultants in the uk one said i should get a strip done and as i thin at the sides i will need to get it done again later on and the other more professional guy said i could get 2000 grafts for FUE and my donor area although thinning was better then nothing and could be used. He said that noone looses all their hair in this capacityand as i have lost nearly 70% of my hair i can be a candidate.

I did online consults for hair transplant and they said that the thinning of the sides and bit of the back mean i could be transplanting minituarised hair so i dont know what to do - hair transplant or not?

I wondered what you all thought? I feel awful today i just like you all want to be normal!!!

COmments most welcomed.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a physician to discuss a transplant and he said I wasn't the best or the worst candidate. He would do a "goose egg" size transplant at one time and I would have needed several - a lot of money. Personally, I feel that unless you have male pattern hair loss, you aren't the best candidate. Women with Androgenetic Alopecia like me have fairly diffuse loss - worse on top, but thin all over. My donor area also sheds so who knows whether those transplanted hairs wouldn't shed over time? I now wear a clip-on HH topper. JMHO

3. colline

colline Guest

Re: Androgenetic Alopecia hair transplant done

I have done the transplant now. Awful horrible not the actual surgery but the thoughts of how you look why you are that way whether it will help!

I did the fue method and the physical said that i shouldnt do another one as i have diffuse but he did what he could so of course i got upset and told him on the consulation you said i was fine to get this done so did i waste my time. He said i didnt this will help but the hair is weak - so now i worry maybe it wont stick then what!

The thoughts rushing through my head were unreal - hmm trying to be positive!

4. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

hi there,

i agree that having diffuse loss is not ideal for a transplant. i have very male-patterned hair loss and was considering it, but i am too afraid that other hair on the top and crown will go in the future anyway to go through with the surgery.

my mom just had her second transplant done and she feels it was not successful. she has a decent amount of hair in the back but very little hair in the front and top of her head.

good luck with the decision,
    kay

mcat11 likes this.
  5. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:

6. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My loss at this time seems confined to the front hairline and temples, with some loss in volume on top, the back of hair is still thick and strong, two doctors said I am a good candidate, however, I am scared to death of shock loss or the procedure not working and getting worse. I don't know what to do, I don't want to use minoxil, I would use spirolactone but one doctor said it doesn't work for frontal loss; another suggested PRP but yet another said PRP doesn't work on post-menopausal (?), I don't know who to believe anymore. If I could regrow the front hairline, and one temple area, I would be happy and not get the transplant. I have had unsuccessful surgeries in the past (eye, nose) so don't want to 'rush' into this, although living with my increasing loss is very difficult for me.

7. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    All the 4 docs i saw said women should have the FUT not the FUE which is only primarily used on men who wear hair short and dont want to see scar. That is what they recommended for me FUT.
    at any rate i want to give a couple more months. In meantime desperate as i am i bought 5% rogaine foam, and i also bought toppik. I dont know that i use that properly though or the color is too light. I am at a loss. I am hoping my readjusting my thyroid and hormone meds that there will be regrowth but i not optimistic