Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia or have you neglected yourself ???Must read

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by LoosingItAll, Jan 29, 2015.

1. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    :confused::ermm::shakehead: So we are all scared we have Androgenetic Alopecia..... Let me tell you young ones a story ....I'm 40... Never took Birth control of any kind...I have never been anemic ( low ferritin) Never had an issue with hair loss after eigther one of my boys . Both delivered by trauma caused to the body by C - section. I have NO hairloss issues that run in my family... I have no dam reason for hairloss at all !!!!!

:wow: Here we go !!!... January 1st 2014 I caught the swine flu.. OMG I thought I was dying... 9 days later I was feeling back to normal. Exactly 3 months later I lost over 3000 hairs in the shower at one time ... YES 3000+ I gathered them all up and screamed and cried and shoved them into a zip lock baggy and flew my butt to the Dr. :broken: Please keep in mind at this time I had very thick dark corse curly black hair .... The Dr. said we have a problem .... ( I love my GP ) He made me a emergency visit with a ignorant , unsympathetic , bald Derm !!! Yep cost me $250.00 to hear. You still have plenty of hair and lets run $2000.00 worth of blood work. ;) I had no insurance but I did it any how !

As I waited 1 week f$3000.00 in blood work only to show I do not have lupus. For 4 months I was loosing 300 hairs a day and 500 when I washed my hair . Then BAMMMMMMM...

My hair changed... each strand became spider wed thin and lighter in color. ( Miniturization) ??? All at once ?? really ??? NOOOOOO !!!

After my originol TE began March 31st... I freaked out and starting drinking alcohol every day just about. !!! Alcohol causes estrogen dominance in women and even in men . It also taxes out your adrenal glands and you produce enormous amounts of the stress hormone cortisol wich messes up all other hormones.

I did this to myself . !!!! I stopped eating well to drink. I drank to cope... B vitamins and zinc, folic acid, along with calcium will not obsorb with alcohol. I now have many different Vit deffiencies ....

Yes it appears by looking at my hair ** As I Knew it *** It is miniturized !!!! It is , But not from Androgenetic Alopecia .... Lack of nutrients from all my drinking and hormone inbalance mimics Androgenetic Alopecia. It will even show this on your scalp cameras, and by biopsy.

I have recently learned I am allergic to alcohol... I can not drink it anymore. If I do ... My hair falls out right away and I begin a huge sneezing session that last for 10 hours.

From speaking to 8 different Dr.'s and 2 dietitians I have learned Alcohol is not the only culprit to this type hair loss !!! Many drugs can do this as well . Illegal drugs . Many narcotics that are prescribed for pain. Chronic inflamation in the body . ( which I do have ) Back pain and neck pain . All of this adds up to the body not taking in all of the nutrients it needs !!

Now that being said . STRESS !!! will make TE and Androgenetic Alopecia worse ! Stress causes more inflamation... triggeres more cortisol, causes weight gain, then adrenals dont work as they should wich will create hormonal imbalance !!! Even in a young lady .

I was told by my OBGYN ( female Dr.) NEVER take birth control pills containing hormones unless it is for a HEALTH reason .... Thank God I didn't do that . I didn't for medical reasons... He said.... They make condoms for a reason !!! ... And handed me 50 LMAO...

because of what I did to myself I now need progesterone cream to couter act the estrogen dominance ....
    :badmood: can't afford it !!!

Here is the conclustion to my issue ::: It appears I have a mild case of difusse Androgenetic Alopecia.... I have lost 50 percent of my hair in less than 4 months time . Shedding slowed when I slowed the drinking but didn't stop. Then hair strands lost half their size so it appears I have even less hair... Not so .

My folicles are not dead .... I sufficated them by not allowing them to get the food they need because my heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, needed what little food I was putting in to stay alive and my hair was put last !!!!!!! along with nails and dry skin.

If your not eating a proper diet . 50-60 grams of protein a day . taking a multivitimim. eating green veggies and yes I do mean spinach , brocoli , kale, brussle sprouts. and red meat 3 times a week, with fish 2 times a week your not getting what you need. and it will shut your hair production down .

Processed food is getting worse every day . I'm not saying go organic... But get in your greens. get in your protein. eat your eggs. Bioled is best.

Take your fish oil. omega 3 's... take the biotin... take the B complex. and a very good pr natail vit with zinc, and folic acid !!! If you do not get 20 minutes of sun a day, take 2000 IU a day of Vit D3 along with a magnesium tablet. Them to need each other to work.

I have learned the hard way and have proven to 2 different Derms their diagnosis was **** !!! I had to be honest to 6 other Dr's to get the right testing but it all boils down to mal nutrition... LMAO... even though Im over wight by 20 lbs.... That is from the stress hormone cortisol and alcohol turns into sugar. Since I stopped drinking... I lost 16 LBS in 1 month .

My new hair that was growing in was grey. Hmmmm... So I colored it . BEST thing I have done so far. Soft pretty dark *thin* hair !!! Not perfect. but I'll take it .... The only thing that wil re thicken my long azz hair is to gradually cut 3 inches off at a time and to eat right and no alcohol.

My pony tail use to be 3 inches wide... now it is one inch.... I have alot of breakage in my hair and coloring it helped that ALOT!!!

Drop the stress. Work out 30 - 40 min a day !!!.... get off this computer for 3 days and take a mental break. condition the crap out of your hair !!!! Stop the blow drying. And eat Food not crap !!!

It has been 30 days and it is working little by little ......

Message me if you need more info !
    Best wishes
    Shannon

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you have found the answer for you.

3. LoosingItAll

Dislikes Received:
    ​Thank you Lily ♥♥♥

4. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Shannon. I totally concur with all of your thoughts. I know at this point I wouldn't trust the friggin Doctors diagnosing too much of anything. I have tried to become my own advocate for my health in these last few months because I find it incredibly hard to believe that your hair can be so normal and then all of a sudden in one day of extreme hair fall, you can be diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia? I too am trying to better myself through nutrition and vitamins. In addition, I have been a long term smoker; smoking the illegal Indian cigarettes we can buy here in Canada (who knows what they contain). I have suffered some health crises over the years that included alot of stress. Everything you say about cortisol is so true.

I have been a fainter for many years, gone to several Doctors; even traveling to different cities for tests. It all comes back to a form of what is referred to as POTS. Because I refused to take the experimental steroid for it, the Doctors told me to eat lots of salt and drink lots of water to alleviate fainting. Ironically, when this hairloss started was when I decided I needed to lose some weight. I quit eating potato chips and my hair starting falling out. Not enough sodium maybe? Anyhow, I did some digging, and learned that it all has to do with cortisol levels. It is so important to keep them level.

I don't want to go on and on about something I don't have definitive answers for. But you are so right with all your statements. Thank you for sharing. I am not prepared to go running to a Doctor that I know will diagnose Androgenetic Alopecia without delving into anything. What does Androgenetic Alopecia mean anyways? As we age, I believe we all suffer from it in some small way. How you take care of yourself might have alot to do with as to what degree.

5. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree w you Loosingitall!! I'm 34. No reason for this kind of hair change yet. All my family members have hair. Not the thickest hair but they didn't lose more than 50% like I did. For me it's been gradual over years. The crazy miniaturasation started a year ago however pretty much overnight overall and that part is not even Androgenetic Alopecia - like. Also started to have a lot of grey regrowth! Which I beleive is also not normal. I did have a lot of stress in my life a lot of hardship I'm sure that contributed.

6. longingforpeace

Dislikes Received:
    Me too!!! It's been since summer of 2013....no bc ever and started all of a sudden..still hasn't stopped...regrowth is thin..weak and hair seems to have lost some pigmentation.. texture completely different. Diagnosed te by two derms. Androgenetic Alopecia by one. Scalp biopsy showed te with no miniaturization but it persists. Evening primrose oil has helped a little but not much. I actually fit a lot of symptoms of hypothyroid but am in range. Seeing a naturopath tmrw

7. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What does evening primrose do exactly? How much of it to take for hairloss?

8. longingforpeace

Dislikes Received:
    Hi my girl there is some good info at thyroid-info.com....read number 7. It talks about how almost anyone with hairless can benefit from epo. I'm obviously not a medical professional but I noticed a small decrease in shed when nothing else has helped and my hair softened a bit after being very dry and coarse. I'm still worried sick and this has not by any means solved my problem but I am all about anything that helps. I also use Pura d'or gold label shampoo and conditioner that I bought off Amazon and I really like it.. so I do those two things plus my 700 other supplements lol. I refuse to believe this is Androgenetic Alopecia.. not because I'm in denial but I'm 33 had ridiculously thick and strong hair and no one else family has this. Plus I lose a ton of hair underneath..ughh

- - - Updated - - -

I wrote mvgirl it corrected to my girl lol sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Shannon did u get your cortisol tested?

9. LoosingItAll

Dislikes Received:
    I did have a cortisol test... It was a salava test and it was sky high . My testosterone was ok... My DHEA-S ( wich is considered the mother hormone ) was very low !!! That in it's self causes Hair loss.... But if it is to high it will create to many male androgens and cause hair loss... My test to see if I was in menopause at age 39 showed I was ... LMAO So when I told the Dr. I was drinking Alot of vodka every night and he looked at my test he said you have with out a doubt estrogen dominance ... He has been doing his job for almost 50 years. He said I do not need to see a number on a paper to figure this out . He explained that alcohol its self raises estrogen instantly. And when you drink alot every day it remains elevated. Then he went into the fact of the vit defeciency... that alcohol will not allow your body to obsorb B vit's folic acid, calcium and zinc. He told me you have to have all that for healthy hair . My b12 and D3 is super low and he said if that is the case I'm low in everything.

He even looked at my hair . He is an OBGYN but took the time to view my hair ... He then said it absolutly was due to mal nutrition and then asked me if I needed rehab to stop drinking. Well ummmm //// In all honesty.... I should have told him yes but I did it on my own and it was pure hell for a week .

If you have an exsperienced OBGYN They know what hormone test to run for hair loss.... I took him in all the copies of my blood work I had already had done and he was able to put it all together for me .

I do remember him saying that if I was to test all your female hormones it had to be done a certain time in your cycle ... and because of my estrogen domanance my periods are all messed up and I never know when Im gonna start so my labs would not be right .

My origional TE shed was due to the swine flu. I was so so so sick. But I freaked out really bad and just could not deal with life at all and started drinking EVERY night to the point I was smashed drunk and hung over the next morning. YES I WOULD SAY I AM AN ALCOHOLIC !!!

3 months into my drinking My crazy 300 a day sheds had stopped but this is when I noticed the change in texture, color got lighter, and each strand that is still strongly attacked to my head was 1/3 of the thickness it use to be . Now it is so fragil it is breaking off.

I am taking a crap ton of vitamins but we all know them take 6 weeks to show improvments.

I still have hair. If you did not know me before my hair loss began . You would not think I lost over half my hair . I do have a crazy looking cow lick thing going on at the crown of my head that I have to really work to hide now and my temples are just gone .

The Dr. Did tell me that my hair may never be the same again. I just turned 40... by the time I get my body back together I will be entering peri meno pause ... Wich means more thinning. He said the only thing then he could do was to give me a low dose birth control pill for MAX of 3 years because I will then have low estrogen . We laughed. And he said but you have a pack of ciggeretts in your purse. He said he hated Birth control for many reasons and one is causing blod clots in smokers exspecially at my age .

I hated to admitt I DID THIS TO MY OWN SELF but I really neeeded you all to know ..... Sometimes it really is not Androgenetic Alopecia it really is due to nutrition, to quick of weight loss will also mess up hormones. And it is because we abuse our own selves sometimes with out even knowing .

Any one have private questions. I'll be happy to answer

Love to all

Shannon♥

10. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great post. I think my vegetarian diet and use of Nuvaring (on for 6 months, off since November) made this happen. Of curse I am vitamin and iron deficient.

11. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes working out, eating better, getting some sun, taking proper vitamins, etc... all these things matter!!! I am an example of this!!! Sometimes I think my hair loss is because my health was so poor when I was younger, but then again I don't know if I can believe that because there are lots of depressed overweight people walking around who have a full head of hair.

I think mine has to be Androgenetic Alopecia (but an early onset of it perhaps brought on by the extreme stress) and this is what leads me to believe WHY the Rogaine seems to be working for me. If I didn't have Androgenetic Alopecia, would it be this effective??

Thanks,

Michelle

12. Ginger1113

Ginger1113 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    LoosingItAll,

I do agree that an unhealthy life style can bring hairloss on and I believe that this is what happened to me. I have always been a stressor but really spent the last couple of years worrying and dealing with some depression. I was totally living off of junk food and sugar. I would never exercise and was a tiny thing at 105 ponds. Now I am even less because of the Spironolactone I am on. A side effect can be weight loss. I am under 100 pounds. I also was drinking a little too but only a couple a week . I took no vitamins. I believe it all caught up with me and kicked my Androgenetic Alopecia in early. It just sucks! So, I get mad at myself sometimes when I think of the things I was doing to myself, especially the stress which really hasn't changed much , even more so now because of the hairloss. Ugh!

13. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for this post, it really hit home with me.

my hairloss came after a period of crazy stress and trauma, followed up by some serious health issues (and still my docs says Androgenetic Alopecia but that's another story).

The first thing was an accident where me i witnessed the death of my husbands friend and then, in a separate incident, I broke my ankle, completely smashed in 3 places.

my reaction to both of these things was to seriously increase my drinking. Not getting drunk, ever, but just that consistent 1 or 2 a night, every night. It helped me to relax and to sleep, especially whilst I was in pain and the pain went on for months. I was also on some heavy duty pain relief for some time. Boredom whilst injured led to some interesting food choices too and not in a good way.

of course, thought all this, I put on weight so a crash dieted 7kg (14lbs) in 3 weeks and ended up in hospital with gallstones and a very messed up gall bladder.

Few months after the gall bladder issues my hair fell out.

less hair = more stress = more steady drinking, more eating crap. Crazy self destructive circles.

This year I really need to sort myself out, eating right, curbing the drinking, sleeping better and getting my fitness back. It is a work in progress.

your post has really spurred me on!

14. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda the opposite but whenever I have a few drinks (once or twice a month) I shed so much less that next day! Ive been noticing this for a couple years and can't figure it out!!

15. hairlossmaniac

hairlossmaniac Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    its so good to hear from u loosingitall after so many days....i hope u continue to find answers n u get ur hair back....i am very confused n sad at the moment.......my shed decreased from handfuls to much less about 3 months back and just after my cut it seemed so much better...my front was full n part seemed to be increasing as well as crown experienced regrowths but then it again fell off occasionally during washes and now my part is again visible and i am shedding a few thin long stands that look weak...i dont get it it was getting better for a month then again it got bad..what is going on?

16. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    In my case I don't think I eat very healthy but it's also nothing extremely destructive. I do struggle with weight loss and in the past 2 months with my heightened stress thanks to my hair loss I've put on 21lbs that's so difficult to get rid off. Though it's been the story of my life (in 2011 put on 20 lbs in 1 month!, in 2013 put on 20 lbs in 1.5 months!). I do think I have thyroid issues (especially as you mentioned the TSH levels being too high) because of all the symptoms like no sex drive, fatigue, etc. But even though my stress levels are high at certain times (now because of hair loss, then when I was studying for a major exam, beginning of university, etc) I think a lot of times it's around the same as a normal person...that's why I don't understand how this triggered Androgenetic Alopecia, especially since my parents have hair and my grandparents only lost it in their 70s! I know this girl with 4 brothers...3 of them bald in their 20s, dad who was bald at a really young age too and so they think they got it from him, but she's now late-30s and has all her hair!

As for drinking...I only drink one drink everytime I go out. I rarely drink to get drunk, only a social drinker. Do no drugs, don't smoke. I exercise regularly but maybe not enough. And then caffeine is a bit of a problem with me, lots of coffee consumption. But other than that I do take pretty good care of my health, at least good enough that it shouldn't cause such a lot of hair loss in my 20s! It's why I feel angry, ugly, wronged, etc because I feel like this is a dark cloud looming over my head.

17. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hairloss, I really don't know that I would totally believe that Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosis. As mentioned in previous post, some TE can mimic Androgenetic Alopecia. I really don't trust that the Doctors hers in Ontario or anywhere in Canada for that matter are informed enough about these issues. I truly believe that your TSH is way high. Lorna Vanderhaege (the womens' health practitioner) indicates that a TSH over 2.0 will cause hairloss and combined with your low ferritin; definitely. I honestly believe that this is causing your hairloss. Especially given the rate in which it fell. My understanding is that Androgenetic Alopecia is fairly progressive and surely you would have noticed thinning in the past years. Have you experienced any scalp burning? From what I have read, a TE shed will normally cause the burning right after the shed and then disapppear.

18. LoosingItAll

Dislikes Received:
    It truley will need to be a life style change .. It sounds as if you have had alot of rough spots recently. I noticed in 2 months time I gained 20 lbs. I'm gonna begin the tred mill tomorrow . I'm trying like heck to stay away from the alcohol but when it is your go to comfort and your addicted to it . Well lets just say it suxs . I'm really trying to add more protein in my diet and less junk and I never was one to eat 3 times a day but I have began to do that as well. It is all about the baby steps . I also have been having a reacurring ear infection since August. I have been on 5 anti biotics in 6 months and now I'm on number 6 .. That can't be helping me out much . I do not expect to see any improvements in myself for 3 months But I will remain positive !

I'm wishing you luck !

Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

Hey sweetie..... Sometimes TE can last along time , And then it takes a long time to recover. I have had many people tell me that their hair had to go through several cycles of regrowth/ falling out before terminal hairs stayed put. Hang in there.

19. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've lost 10 pounds so far using the 17 Day Diet. Book is available on Amazon.

20. LoosingItAll

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go LiLY !!! I will have to check that out ! Thank you ♥