Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenetic Alopecia Post-Partum

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by ElPatoEllington, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I haven't been around much because my hair shedding has slowed down so much since I've been pregnant... I don't even think about it most days even though I still probably shed about 40 hairs a day. It's been such a vacation but sometimes I freak out thinking about the return after the baby is born. I have some thoughts and I was hoping for a little feedback:
    1. How inevitable is the post-partum TE? I don't remember it with my previous pregnancy but honestly I wasn't paying attention back then.
    2. For anyone who already had Androgenetic Alopecia before their pregnancy, did being pregnant change anything in the long run?
    I used to shed about 90-120 hair's a day before I got pregnant and I guess I'm really just hoping (probably very foolishly) that I'll somehow be cured.
    Help!

2. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

I haven't posted very much on here but I have been lurking for a few years now. I think I have Androgenetic Alopecia type hair loss due to wacko hormones= prolactin, thyroid and cortisol. I have had hair issues for about 20 years I'm now 42. I have 2 children a 4yr old and 8 month old. My hair took a hit both times post partum but quite differently. I think the difference was due to the imbalances you are left with post partum so its very important to eat well and take care of yourself while pregnant and straight away post partum - get checked for iron levels, thyroid etc. For me after my first child when I was 38, my hair loss was quite normal, didn't notice anything dramatic. However down the line my hormones went all crazy, my thyroid started slow right down, my TSH got to 4.2, my prolactin was elevated even though I did not breast feed and these hormone readings where from 2 years post partum. My hair just didn't regrow, it didn't fall much but it wasn't getting replaced. So I had to rectify these hormones in order to sustain another pregnancy which I did however this pregnancy was very tough on me. I couldn't eat much, I had quite a bit of stress in family life and so I knew I would pay for this with my hair and I did. I had text book telogen effluvium post partum, starting at 3 months post partum and it lasted 3 months. Even though I was prepared for it nothing prepares you for brushing your hair and having 300 plus strands fall. Its very stressful.

I now have stabilised and lose around 15 to 30 strands on brushing per day - I wash my hair everyday because its so thin it gets oily very fast. I don't shed much throughout the day. I have regrowth mostly on the top of my head, it doesn't really add any volume yet I would need 50 times more I think. Back sides are both quite thinned and have a little regrowth too but less than the top of my head. I believe that if I correct my hormones I may recover more hair and increase its thickness. That is what I am working towards now, through supplements etc. I do not use Minoxidil nor have I ever - too afraid of the dread shed.

Apparently around 30 to 40% of women get TE post partum. So its not only due to the hormones changing, I think you can lessen the shedding by making sure your iron levels are good and that your thyroid is also good. I'm not a doctor but doctors are useless when it comes to hair loss anyway.

Post partum = Don't stress, eat well, ask for help with baby if you need it, get rest/sleep, all the things I didn't do!

Goodluck :eek:

3. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I experienced postpartum TE after the pregnancy of my son at around 4 months after birth. I was not diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia prior to my pregnancy, but looking back on pictures I was definitely in the process of thinning. My hair has not fully recovered after several TE triggers, including the death of my Mom and childbirth in April 2014 and a surgery in March 2016. I now have to wear scalp concealer. That being said, my hair loss spurred me to dig deeper into my health, and I recently discovered that I have an autoimmune thyroid disease, low estrogen, high cortisol, and I've been battling low ferritin for years.

I'd really like to have another child, but these medical complications and the fear of losing what hair I have left have stopped me in my tracks. I feel like I have to choose between a baby and my hair, because if I lose much more and it doesn't regrow, I'll need to start wearing hair. The thought of that as a 36 year old woman is terrifying.

I know this isn't helpful but I just need to say it to someone who understands the fear. Thanks for listening!

4. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had postpartum TE after both pregnancies, but it was less pronounced the second time.

5. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Scorpio8

I had the same fear after my first child. I wanted another but I wondered to what extent I would lose my hair. I did have my second child and I don't regret it. The hair loss is traumatic yes but it was worth it to have my complete family. I strongly believe that women can recover from hair loss but the underlying cause needs to be addressed. For me that is Prolactin, cortisol, thyroid, and ferritin. I'm taking Vitex and Pyridoxine Hcl (B6) for the prolactin, this also helps to increase Progesterone levels. Withania for the Adrenals to regulate cortisol. Some Iodine, selenium for thyroid function, my TSH is now 2.4 so still a little high. Evening primrose oil for GLA and some vitamin E, vitamin C, Magnesium and Zinc plus B Complex and that's the abbreviated version lol! Going to add flaxseed to deal with Estrogen excess.

My hair is quite thinned out by the post partum TE but somehow after it stabilized I feel so happy and believe it can only get better now. Until menopause that is, that's my next fear and to be honest I am now more focused on balancing hormones in preparedness for that big change.

Also I have come to realise that I have been stressing about my hair for 20 years. That's a long time and really limits the enjoyment one gets out of life. I now think of it as a syndrome that I need to control and tweak.

Stay strong ladies :salut:

6. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your responses! IDK... I was scouring the internet looking for the percentage of women who actually experience TE. Do you happen to remember where you found that statistic? Everything I've read is EVERY WOMAN EVER but I'm 99% sure I didn't have it during my first pregnancy.

7. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    Could it be that your density overall was different back then, thus you didn't notice it? I've never been pregnant so no personal anecdotes, but my sister just gave birth to her second in January is already dreading the postpartum shed, and said she started losing clumps exactly three months after she had her first. My friend also just had her second a few months ago and did a huge chop on her hair (to her shoulders) because her postpartum shedding was really bad and she just didn't have the energy to deal with it. She had also said it was just as bad with her first child, though she doesn't have Androgenetic Alopecia, so it all eventually came back for her.

8. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ElPatoEllington

I'm sorry I can't remember where I came across that statistical figure as I scoured the net so much whilst in shedding phase that sometimes I thought I was going crazy. The reason I remember that well is because I was personally convinced that not all women go through this. Recently I met up with a friend who gave birth a month after me, and my second is now 9 months. I asked her about hair loss and nope, she hasn't noticed any shedding so go figure. With my first child I also didn't experience TE, my hair did thin out a little bit but it was very gradual and certainly not the 300 strands per brushing scenario that I experience with my second child. I think stress hormones play a large part in post partum shedding. My second birth was more traumatic, actually, it was the stay in hospital not the birth itself (planned ceasarean) that was stressful.

There are some really good articles on Anthony Pearce Trichologist website - I thought that maybe I came across that stat there but no. But lots of articles about female hair loss http://hairlossclinic.com.Alopecia Universalis there is a blog section there with lots of info.

I have saved a ton of tabs on my poor computer if I come across it I will post it up here :)