Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenic Alopecia Or Te? Or Is It Regrowth? Very Confused And Scared

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Lynn555, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, in my 40's and going through perimenopause. Since my hormones have changed I've noticed my hair thinning. But I am also anemic (although my levels are finally going up!), and last year I had some severe stress and also was very sick. Suddenly, amongst all this, my scalp was extremely itchy and sore. It was horrible, drove me nuts!

Then I started noticing how thin my hair looked. Ugh. I went to a dermatologist and she said it was probably stress, telefron effusion, or could be androgenic alopecia. My hair was really thinned around my sides and front. I can see my hairline but a lot of hairs are small and fuzzy. I have always had fine hair but lots of it.

I'm scared though that I have a receding hairline ☹ but I'm unsure if its new growth? Here are some pictures. Help ☹☹

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      145.2 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      126.2 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
    • this.jpg
      this.jpg
      File size:
      93.8 KB
      Views:
    • sss.jpg
      sss.jpg
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
  3. Simona1986

Simona1986 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how your hair was before, but i think it's regrowth. You use rogaine?

4. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well some of my hair looks like that around the hairline and even temple area idk if it’s regrowth for me because it doesn’t seem to get any longer but I guess time will tell Ive heard it may take a few cycles for it to kick in my hairs been like this over a year they are dark though not colorless I don’t know if that’s a good sign or not but I’m still hoping

5. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    No I don't use anything, no rogaine. I do take ferramax as I have low iron. But its gone from 10 to 30 so its a bit better. I take Vit D and biotin as well. I will see if I have any pics from when I was younger. This one is from 2012 but it might be too hard to compare.

Attached Files:

6. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is it in early spring. So thin. ☹

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      134.6 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
  7. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Thy resembles my left side as well do you see any regrowth on the sides? Do you have thyroid issues? High testosterone? Dheas? Any tests done at all?

#7 TinaM1968, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. Simona1986

Simona1986 Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's regrowth :):):)
    All my test are fine.(inclusive dht levels
    ). I am on rogaine from 1 year and a half and on Spironolactone from 2 months. Like you all the doctors said it's stress. 16 years of stress? It's Androgenetic Alopecia with cte at me.

9. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nope my thyroid is totally fine. My hormones show I'm in perimenopause but no high testosterone or DHT. Just my FSH is high and I have't had my period for 3 months.

I was vegetarian for 5 years and that is when my iron dropped but I've always been on the low side. I don't absorb iron well from plants or even the pills, so I ahd to start eating beef again and now finally it has gone up.

I do see a lot of regrowth around my temples but the hair seems more fragile.
    My brother lost his hair so I think it has a genetic component. But also I was severely stressed last Jan. My Dad was diagnoised with terminal cancer, I had a terrible cold that ended up being a bad sinus infection, my husband was at sea and I had a leak in my house. That was when my scalp and feet started itching like mad! It was awful. I had a rash on my head as well. Yuck.

Thankfully that horrid itching is gone. I guess only time will tell with this crazy hair. Ugh.

10. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I will take more pics of the sides today. I do see lots of hairs but I don't know if its minuturization or what. I also wondered about traction alopecia on the sides because I always used to wear my hair up tight in a bun.

11. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a part of it the bun hairstyle that is. I know for me it looks like shorts hairs there too I’m wondering the same thing. I had severe stress for 3 years just ongoing. A 6 month wait for a cancer scared started my stress and I just got sick in stress mode. And the hair thinned more my thyroid looked good too if they go by tsh but free t3 was low iron low etc plus like u I’m in peri I hate it all the thinning the not knowing and most of all the drs guessing. I hope yours is regrowth heck I hope mine it too we have similar hair issues areas and all. I guess keeping an eye on it and hoping it continues to grow is all ready really can do to see if it truly growth. Do you have a lot of thin strands that seem to “flyaway”

12. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I see the hairs in the side your talking about. That’s what mine look like. For me I never wear my hair up. Oh my dht has always been good so has testosterone have they tested Dheas?

#12 TinaM1968, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. Lynn555

Lynn555 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My t4 free and t3free and tsh were all normal. Dhea was tested back in 2013 so I will need to get that done again, going to my gp today and will ask for that plus my iron to be tested agan. Yes I have lots of fly away hairs! ☺ I have my haircut shorter now so,I never wear my hair up anymore. Try not to put any stress on the hairs.

14. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure they test Dheas it’s different from dhea and ferritin along with iron panel it will show your iron stores yea the flyaways are a pain I have more short hairs around my hairline now I think hard to tell as I don’t dye my hair anymore they look grey to me I just keep hoping they grow out instead of fall out! Who knew peri menopause and stress combined could cause so much hair disaster good luck at the drs let us know how you make out!

15. fishface

fishface New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ya
    I don’t come on here much anymore really because there is no success stories and it was affecting my mental health so badly. I think we have the same thing I am undiagnosed because honestly in then uk no one cares about women and menopause stuff. My hair started to fall about 2 years ago when I came off the cerazette birth control pill. No one but no ne ever warns you about this . I wish so much I had nevr come off it. Anyway I am pretty sure I have Androgenic alopecia and chronic telegenic effluvium the hair falls out not in clumps but just every single time I wash It and the hair that grows back is very very thin and weak. Everyone says they can’t notice but my ponytail has reduced by nearly all of it . It’s so scary and you know what ? AFter years of doctors, dermatologists, homeopathic remedies I Am now on anti depressants! How sad is that . Honestly here in the uk no one cares about women’s health it’s appalling. I struggle daily with anxiety my poor husband thinks I’m mad but I know my hair and I know that at least half of it is now gone. I just want to know if it will ever stop but I’m too scared to ask I will try and post a picture but am in an airport lounge at the mo lol ...

16. fishface

fishface New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to see before and after pics as I’m so Undecided about using rogaine

17. Simona1986

Simona1986 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have pictures in "tell your story". The thread it's "16 years of te and Androgenetic Alopecia".