Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Androgenic Alopecia, Telogen Effluvium Or Ferritin ?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by llaa, Oct 3, 2018.

1. llaa

llaa New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this website so was after some advice and support really.

It all started around October last year when literally overnight my hair started falling out at first I noticed there was a tonne of hair everytime I showered, brushed it or ran my fingers through my hair.

I went to the Dr's in November who said my iron was a bit low so put me on iron tablets (I never really understood Ferritin levels so never asked what the levels were). On February 18 I got referred to a dermatologist who said it was TE and not to worry.

In March I had a blood test and was told my iron was fine and to stop taking the iron tablets (which I stupidly did).

Fast Forward to now and a second Dermatologist appointment I've been told its Androgenetic Alopecia.

Both Dermatologists never really looked at my hair properly, there was no pull test or biopsy.

Recently I've been reading up on Ferritin so decided to call my GP and get the exact numbers...

November 17 - Ferritin levels were 15, this is when it was at its worst and had just really started.

March 18 - Ferritin levels were 42, I noticed slight regrowth at this stage but as I was told by the first derm it was TE I was just assuming my hair was sorting itself out. this is when I came off iron, (Dr told me there was no need).

September 18 - Ferritin Levels 25, Still shedding and minimum regrowth, this is when I have been told its Androgenetic Alopecia, I have always had thin hair around my temples and my crown has always been wider, so I'm hoping this is something to do with my Ferritin and is being confused with Androgenetic Alopecia.

My second derm said my Ferritin needs to be 80, I'm so annoyed with my second GP as just because the normal range of ferritin is 20 -160 doesn't mean its normal for you! they should of seen I had problems with my hair and that I needed my ferritin raising....

Has anyone else had similar?

2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For me my ferritin levels were low like yours when the loss started. I can’t remeber the numbers exactly. I was hoping it was just an iron issue doe me. I raised them to 70/80 and still no stopping or regrowth that i see. Sounds like though for you iron could be at least part of your hair loss cause. It’s common in menstruating women to be iron deficient and have hair loss. But be careful taking iron you really need to keep on top of testing it as you go along as not to over do it.