Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Any advise about Nioxin ? please

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by esperanza, Nov 26, 2012.

1. esperanza

esperanza Guest

Hello,
    First I do have to apologize not to be more active in the forum, as regularly I coming and read all your post and all of you knows how valuable and supportive is to talk on here and see how many brave women are outside fighting for their rights to be happy, no matter the hair loss, and facing everyday!! My English is not good and always will let me down in a middle of written.
    Anyway wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences.
    My personal situation is I think a result of menopause period which I Am facing now, it has been 3 years of worries and taking any possible product from the market, not results.
    Finally I decided to have a topper which cost me a fortune and only have wear once , think the quality and density is not the best for my situation.
    Anyway, I started last week trying Pillfood, still soon I think to see any results. Any advice with regard that? Would really appreciate.
    Have been reading also about Nioxin system(shampoo, conditioner, toner) and it says that make thinning hair looks and become thicker. Does anybody have any comments about that ? please.Many thanks in advance and wishing you all a good weak ahead

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss also started as I began menopause (now 65). I tried everything out there, over the counter and prescription, with little or no results. I would like to be more encouraging but it's my personal opinion that esp. for women whose bodies are producing less hormones the outcome is pretty bleak for regrowing hair. I started wearing a topper maybe 5 years ago, probably should have started sooner. Regarding Nioxin and other products like that, their claims are usually to "thicken" hair which means making the hair you have larger in size. They do not grow new hair - even Rogaine acts by lengthening the time between shedding rather than activating hair cells, as I understand it. I would find a stylist experienced in working with wigs and toppers and get a good trim with your hairpiece to make you happy with how it looks.

3. esperanza

esperanza Guest

Many thanks Lily, yes I know, well I feel like this is it about my hair loss and nothing will give me back my normal hair, wich by the way never been thicker, but if any shampoo could help me to make the hair I have looks s and acts better would love to give it a try, yes, you are right I should try my topper is just like I dont feel ready yet, I dont know how start, so wanted to keep trying for another solutions until will be unbearable the thinning and loss. Thank, many many thanks, by the way, Iam 48 now..

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My stylist swore by Nioxin but when her husband used it to try to help his balding she admitted it did nothing. Maybe it looks a little thicker? I used one bottle but couldn't tell anything. I use sulfate free shampoos now.

5. Patriciam

Patriciam Guest

Your experience

I am interested in your experiences with your hair loss as mine started post menopause, too. It really has picked up after a surgery I had a year and half ago. What type of topper dId you start with. Is it comfortable? Did you feel better about how you looked once you got it? has your hair continued to thin? Has the topper caused more hair loss or damage?
    thank you for sharing.

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair did continue to thin, but then I discontinued all treatments. I started out with GemTress toppers. When my stylist moved and I went to someone else, I ordered through her. I paid more but my newer toppers are custom to my head and much higher quality. The GemTress hair was over-processed in my opinion. I am not at all happy about having to "wear hair" but I can honestly say I don't know what I would do if I didn't. My toppers are clip-on - I like the flexibility of having several and switching out. Right now I'm wearing one of my old ones - played golf today so I'm sweaty and have "visor hair" but after I shampoo, I'll simply dry my bio hair and put on a newer, styled topped and save this one for my next golf round or workout session.

7. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

I had success with Nioxin a few years ago. I am currently trying nutri-ox which is a cheaper version of Nioxin. My hair does tend to grow sooner or later so not sure but I think Nioxin helped. Everybody is different though. Nutri ox does make my hair appear fuller where it is thin in the back due to a few bald patches that are covered by longer hair. I like it so far and have only been using it for 2 or 3 days.

8. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

Ive been using nioxin for over a month and I really don't see a change. .. I was using Hair surge, I bought it on amazon and I did see a decrease in shedding. it was so expensive 45 for 8 ounces.. the bottle did even last a month ..im gonna go back and research if anything is good!