Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Any Ladies Here Being Treated For Depression?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by losing_it, Dec 7, 2017.

1. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little recap of my journey... I struggled with hair loss from 2012-2015. In 2015, my hair loss stopped and basically did a complete 180. My hair went back to baseline from before the hair loss ever started. Then in early 2017, it started again and has not stopped, despite my attempts at using the same treatments I assumed worked in 2015.

I was definitely depressed during my first round of hair loss, but it was easy to brush it off back then. Mostly because I was single, so I wallowed in my depression while I was alone, and put on a happy face around friends and at work. Now, I have a long term boyfriend who lives with me. We met when my hair was doing very well. He has offered me a lot of support with my hair loss, but my depression is harder to sweep under the rug because I have someone to witness the change within me. He hasn't come out and said he's noticed a change in my personality, but I notice it and I feel a lot of guilt about not being the same happy person he started dating a year ago.

I do online counseling, where I video chat with my counselor for 30 minutes once a week. It has helps to have someone to talk to, but it definitely hasn't been life changing or anything.

In addition to being scared to take the leap to start medication, I also have crap insurance... it's basically a disaster plan, so I would pay a doctor's visit out of pocket. I don't even have a regular doctor. I feel stuck right now. Any suggestions?

2. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you haven’t checked for an underlying thyroid condition which sometimes presents as depression (or is even causing hair loss), sometimes an antidepressant helps you to deal. Keep in mind many antidepressants are now in generic so that you would at least save that expense.

Some primary care physicians (internists) will prescribe antidepressants so you could save a bit on an out-of-pocket doctor’s visit of a psychiatrist.

I get it. We read about antidepressants causing hair loss, but what’s the alternative? Cognitive behavioral therapy may work as well though you have to be prepared for the expense.

3. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my thyroid checked several times, always coming back normal.

As far as antidepressants causing hair loss (and I am agreeing with you, but just to expand a little bit on my feelings)... it's like... you know, I live my entire life wondering if what I am doing is going to worsen hair loss. I worry about what I am not doing that could potentially make it better. My counselor asked me how much of my waking time I spend thinking about hair loss. I said, aside from being so busy at work that I don't have a chance to think about it, I spend at least 50% of my waking hours thinking about it in one way or another. Whether it's being sad, angry, hopeful, evaluating other women's hair, thinking about possible causes and treatments... Hair loss consumes my thoughts. So maybe if I took antidepressants it would worsen the hair loss, but maybe I wouldn't care as much. Maybe I'd actually feel what I know logically... that my hair loss doesn't define me and that I can be happy despite it. I guess I won't know unless I try it, right?

4. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken anti-depressants since before my hair loss. They do help take the edge off of things. I'm still pretty depressed from my hair loss but I'm sure I would be worse without the medication.

Talk therapy has been useless for me and the hair loss but I did get a little benefit from seeing a hypnotherapist a couple years ago.

5. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting about the hypnotherapist! That is something I've never tried. Was it a one and done deal, or do you go multiple times?

My talk therapy seems mostly useless as well... It's good to have someone to talk to, but she often comes up with ridiculous suggestions, such as "Do you wash you hair too often? Should you be using a brush and not a comb? Maybe you can close your eyes during your shower and your boyfriend can clean up the hair in the shower afterward." It's just that thing that we run into all the time... it seems no one truly understands hair loss unless they are going through it themselves.

I do feel a bit better today. I think my anxiety was running rampant the day I posted this. My boyfriend thinks I should try a benzo, like xanax, for when I start freaking out, but honestly I don't trust myself with benzos. Seems a little to easy to become habit forming, which is why I was wondering about antidepressants.

6. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Multiple times. Once a week. It was sort of like seeing a therapist.

7. hair of the dog

Dislikes Received:
    Where have you found that thyroid condition = depression? ?? I know sufferer's who get refused thyroid meds feel low and then drs give them depression meds instead. Don't think you should confuse hyper/hypothyroidism with depression

8. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t confuse the two, and I did not say all. Please re-read. Some sufferers of hypothyroidism feel low, or depressed, and it’s due to underactive thyroid rather than depression.

By all means take an antidepressant if you like.

9. hair of the dog

Dislikes Received: