Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Any other autoimmune disorders??

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by sgomez33, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

My sister had type 1 diabetes and the other sister Hypothyroid. Both autoimmune types.
    I have borderline Hypothyroid, allergies, excema (didnt start getting that till mid 20's though) I have had Alopecia Areata, etc etc blah blah.

I dont think PCOS is immune related, but hormonal.

2. I must have missed this thread! :dunno:

I have had HORRIBLE eczema all my life at the point where my hands would bleed.

I also have/had asthma (now under control to the point of no medicine :) ).

My mother has sarcoidosis.

My aunt had endometriosis as a teen, but I had no idea it was an autoimmune disorder (I am going to talk to my mom about that).

I also read that allergies have some connection to it to. I am allergic to dogs, cats (still have one), trees, weeds, grass, dust, mold, and feathers.

3. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Dawn

I also had very bad asthma as a teenager, but have since grown out of it. I can't remember the last time I had to take medicine for it. I have also had really bad eczema since I was a baby. I still have it on my hands and sometimes on my legs. My eczema also gets really bad, to the piont of bleeding. Sometimes if I even bend my fingers the skin will split open and bleed. I try to apply cortizone cream as much as possible, but I sometimes forget :crazy: I also have allergies, but I don't think it's so bad as to be out of the ordinary.

4. Yeah my eczema hasn't been that bad for a while, which is a good thing because I used to have to go to sleep with socks on my hands with some cream on them, I think it was protopic or something like that.

5. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

lol!
    socks! That's funny! But hey, if it works..........
    I tried doing that for my feet so that they wouldn't get so dry, but I couldn't stand it! I hate socks!! Never wear them unless I go to the gym.

One time my doctor told me to only take showers every other day because my eczema was so bad. Sectretly I was like, yessssssss, because honeslty, if I can get away with it, I have been known to skip a shower or two! (Shh, don't tell anyone! lol!)

6. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Is asthma autoimmune?

7. laurelie

laurelie Guest

I've had eczema on my fingers for about 15 years too. Every once in a while I would get a place that would bleed. I found out my father and sister both have it too. My sister has had no hair for about 8 years now. I have noticed that since taking HRT I dont have many problems with it anymore unless I leave my hands in water too much. The more I wash my hands the worse for them. I cant use those antibacterial gels either. Too drying. I use alot of dove wipes during the day since I'm around kids a lot. I give my hands a thorough wash several times a day but cant do much more or they will split.
    Laurelie

8. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

hmmm interesting, i have endometriosis and mild ezema also ..........

9. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Is endometriosis am autoimmune disorder?

10. It is, I looked up a list of autoimmune disorders. :)

11. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Wow, that's crazy. I had no idea! Who'd a thought?

12. westiegirl

westiegirl Guest

Sarah,

I'm new here and just found this thread. I too, have been unoffically diagnosed with Alopecia Areata, and am going through tests/biopsies early in September. I have asthma, vocal cord dysfunction, and severe allergies too. I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma back in '03 after a really bad case of pneumonia and bronchitis.

Have you found any salons around Phoenix that deal with hair loss issues like this? I live in the west valley, and we've only lived here 2 1/2 years, so I haven't heard much about places to go.

BTW, my name is Sarah too :)

Thanks for your post-this was very informative to see what everybody else said here...

Sarah

13. MissOsMommy

MissOsMommy Guest

I have a bunch ofl autoimmune disorders.....Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, Autoimmune Hepatitis and Autoimmune Thyroid disease. I am also afraid that I am developing Type 1 diabetes, but I have not been back to the doctor yet for my follow-up. My aunts all have Lupus and my mom and grandmother have Polymyositis. My sister has Fibromyalgia. These disorders are very hereditary in nature and do tend to cluster.

14. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I have allergies, excema, conjunctiva sicca, hives, high thyroid antibodies, alopecia areata (not currently though)....I know there is a TON more wrong with me.....

My sister and aunt have endometriosis BAD. I could have it too.

15. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Sarah
    Hi! So you live in the phx area too?! How cool! Well, as far as being familiar w/ a good salon, I'm not really. I have just recently gotten a support group together for poeple w/ alopecia. We are currently in the process of getting a list together of doctors, good wig shops, and hair stylists that do wigs. It would be great if you can join us at our next meeting! If you would like, I can add you on our email list, and I'll keep you updated on the group. Hope to hear from you soon! Sarah :)
    my email is sgomez33@cox.net

16. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Wow, I have never even heard of those kinds of disorders! WHat are the symptoms? Do you have alopecia too?

17. westiegirl

westiegirl Guest

Hey Sarah :)

Just sending an email :)

Sarah

18. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

just saw this!! I had rheumatic fever when I was a kid ( autoimmune) , but nothing else. However, Diabetes, eczema, and asthma are huge in my family. Everyone has atleast one of those things...except me, I have this. :dunno:
    there has to be a connection somewhere

19. mrsellen

mrsellen Guest

I did not realize that hayfever (which I have badly) is auto immune. My daughter had childhood asthma which she outgrew, my granddaughter did have eczema when she was an infant - she is two now and has not had it for over a year - mostly had it when she was 4 - 7 months old. My daughter has allergies also. So far, with myself, my daughter and my granddaughter, I am the only one with alopecia.

20. scotia47

scotia47 Guest

Very interesting thread. My sister has RA and eczema, I had eczema as a child and now have allergic rhinitis all year. My daughter has psoriasis and IBS. My mother has rheumatics and arthritis. My father had extremely sensitised skin and couldn't use conventional soap. I reckon we're onto something, ladies - it would explain the huge upsurge of the incidence of hair loss in the last 30 years which would coincide with the massive increase in all these auto immune disorders over a similar timeframe.