Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Any other autoimmune disorders??

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by sgomez33, Jun 24, 2008.

1. MissOsMommy

MissOsMommy Guest

Yes, but mine is Alopecia Androgenetica. The Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS) basically causes early and repeated miscarriages. It sees the baby as a foreign object and sends blood clots to the fetus and the baby can't survive. I had 4 before they figured it out and then had 1 more because of another issue. Autoimmune Hepatitis symptoms include elevated Liver Enzymes, abdominal pain, fatigue and eventually yellowing of the eyes. It is treated with steroids and if it cannot be controlled, you have to get a transplant.

Polymyositis is a disease where your body attacks its own muscles and you start to get weaker and weaker. If caught early enough, it can be halted with steroids, but most people don't get diagnosed in time and have to use a cane or wheelchair.

2. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

Sorry Miss....those seem like some serious disorders!!! Makes Alopecia not a big deal really :dunno:
    I wonder why they cant find a cure for immune system disorders??

3. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Hey, MissOs. I think it's interesting that you have androgenetic alopecia (which isn't autoimmune) among all those autoimmune disorders. Your story sounds similar to mine. I'm not sure about the extent of your loss. Is your loss more diffuse or a definite pattern loss?

4. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Hi, Lee

I know I often sound like a broken record because I usually see most issues through the "gender prism," but I think one of the reasons for the lack of resources directed towards autoimmune disease and the inequities in research, health services, and education is because the people with the assorted autoimmune diseases are primarily and disproportionately women.

The variable symptoms from one autoimmune disease to another and within the same disease do make diagnosis challenging, but in the lupus groups I used to go to, while we all had different manifestations of the disease, we all went through long periods before diagnosis being dismissed
    by doctors, told it was all in our heads, or it was stress. I seriously doubt it's the same path to diagnosis for men.

Another issue with autoimmune is in addition to genetic and environmental factors, hormones definitely play a role. And as some of us here know all too well, doctors and researchers don't really know diddly about hormones!!