Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone end up worse off after trying rogaine?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Kadee, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I know this rogaine thing is tossed around here on this forum a lot and I have read a lot of past posts from years back as well.

Theoretically, any hair lost during the dread shed SHOULD come back but is there anyone for whom it did not?

Anyone end up below baseline after trying rogaine? I've read a few stories on this board from quite awhile ago but the men's boards in particular seem full of stories of this happening?

2. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm below baseline after being on Rogaine for more than a year, but I think the loss is from my Androgenetic Alopecia continuing down it's natural path rather than Rogaine doing any harm, so I probably would have been where I am Rogaine or not.

3. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your input! Darn-it though that you did not have success with it. Did you use the 2% or 5%? And, I think I saw somewhere you also use or used Spironolactone? Is that right?

4. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use the 5%, but it became difficult to put on because my loss is so diffuse all over the head :( Yeah I'm on Spironolactone for a few months now, nothing to report so far!;/

5. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair is definitely worse since I started rogaine in April of last year. I had a bad dread shed and lost a lot of hair. It has not come back. I have had regrowth but no where near enough to make up for it. I have been on 2% rogaine. I've taking Spironolactone for about 3 months. So far I can say it seems like my hair has stabilized. I'll take that for now! Crossing fingers.

6. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jury still out for me. I.ve been on it for 3.5 months and you'll find a few other posts on my progress, which has been pretty good so far.

i did lose a bit in a big shed when I started but my hair was so bad by then it didn't really make too much difference overall. It was half bald, completely see through to scalp all across the top so couldn't have got much worse.

my regrowth has been good and has filled in my top with lots of new, short (but growing) hairs. It has made a huge differnce and I can now look relatively normal with my hair tied up. My scalp is pretty much covered all over and I feel much less bald. This really takes the stress levels down for me which has to help. the longer (chin length) sections are still a complete mess, of course, but I am hopefull it will get better in time.

i guess it's a risk you take and it depends on your starting point. I had so little to lose it was well worth the risk to me.

7. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair is definitely worse since I started rogaine in April of last year. I had a bad dread shed and lost a lot of hair. It has not come back. I have had regrowth but no where near enough to make up for it. I have been on 2% rogaine. I've taking Spironolactone for about 3 months. So far I can say it seems like my hair has stabilized. I'll take that for now! Crossing fingers.

Hi, did you use the rogaine all over the crown of your head / hairline or just spot treat thinning areas?

How much Spironolactone are you taking? I'm glad it seems to be stabilizing!!!! That's good news. I guess that's partially why I am at the point where I am. If my hair would stay where it is now I would be OK with it and happy. It's just the worry that I don't do anything and it gets worse or I do something and it gets worse!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Nerak,

Your regrowth looks so great! Awesome it's working so well for you. It has to be a great relief!!

8. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using 5% Rogaine foam for over five years. It has helped but it took a year to actually see the line of new growth.

9. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Deirdre, do you use it once or twice a day ? I am glad it helped you !!

10. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's encouraging to hear that it took a year for you to see regrowth, Deirdre. I've been using Rogaine foam since last April once a day, in the morning, so I'm coming up on the one-year mark. Although I see regrowth, I'm losing it (hair is short cycling and miniaturizing) too. But I plan to continue with it nonetheless, since it hasn't caused me to shed any more (or any less, unfortunately). Maybe I would be shedding even more without it; who knows. Just curious: Have you also been experiencing short cycling while using Rogaine? Thx. Our options are so pathetic. It's time for something better.

11. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi JKSZ,

Do you feel the rogaine has been helpful??

12. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have had huge success with Rogaine so far! I have been on the 5% liquid since September. I am anxious to see what it will look like 6 months from now. The roots/top look the best because there are a lot of short hairs growing in, so it is filling in nicely.

The ends don't look so great obviously, but with enough time I feel hopeful that it will continue to improve. It will take at least a year to see significant improvement, I got to say that I wasn't expecting such dramatic improvement after only 2-3 months. Everyone is telling me how much thicker it looks. I just hope and pray that it continues to work. ;/

You said you are using 2%? Have you considered using 5%? I agree with Nerak ^... you have to be at a point where enough is enough and that is when you break down and try Rogaine. The thing about it is, you must be consistent! Twice a day, 5%. I prefer the liquid but I know a lot of people like the foam. When I tried the foam in 2013, I felt like it just got in my hair, and my shed was way worse then when I tried it again, this time the liquid, in 2014... I really would advise women to use the liquid! I hear people say the dropper gets it all over the place. I have NOT found this to be the case. Some of the droppers are better than others so when I have a good one, hang on to it. Using this method allows you to apply it to the scalp rather than the hair... All you need is 1 ml because it IS systematic so focus more-so on the crown area (since this is typically where us women with Androgenetic Alopecia lose it.)

13. bc2005

Dislikes Received:
    I used the liquid and although it was much easier to apply on my scalp, it irritated my scalp like mad! Switching to the foam has been wonderful. My scalp looks better and feels so much better! Everyone is different though.

14. bc2005

Dislikes Received:
    All of a sudden my hair loss has gotten worse and I'm very depressed. It's really starting to become noticeable. Especially cause it's in the front. I'm using concelar every day now. I started one time a day 5% like over a month ago. I had been on two times a day 2% for like 9 months. I'm still on the first bottle though Maybe I'm not using enough. I don't know what to do. :(

15. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using the foam or the liquid? I hope others can chime in with good advice, but maybe, just maybe you are at the stage of where it gets worse before it gets better? I've seen on other forums where some have talked about during a switch - even from liquid to foam, same percentage, they see a change at first. I hope things turn around for you soon! You have been so patient and determined with the rogaine!

16. sylvia plath

sylvia plath Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using rogaine for 3 years now? I not nearly as close to religiously putting it on like I use to. It's exacerbated or caused my SD. Jury's still out on that. I also think it's dried the hell out of my hair. My shedd would come on and off. Right now I'm shedding something fierce bc I stopped Spironolactone in January. It's all very blerg. I think I'm in the 'i wish i never started rogaine' category sadly

17. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Rogaine can cause or at least help bring SD out in people who are prone to it. It is said to be from the carrier agent in the liquid formulation it uses propylene glycol the foam does not have this and works better for people with SD. Also using Nizoral a few times a week helps with this. Just a thought.

18. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What is SD? I went through a second TE shed when I stopped an herbal supplement for hormones because a doctor had not told me how to use it properly and I had been taking it far longer than i should have been. My hormones went NUTS. They seem to be stabilizing now but my hair is still coming out too much when my hormones fluctuate. I've been trying natural methods since September. I think my Trichologist would like to see me try it after my wedding.
    It's getting so thin I am going to need a wig or some kind of make up to blend into my scalp. I saw my derm the other day. She said she had TE really bed after she had a baby and it takes about a year and a half to get better. She actually didn't think I should start Rogaine.. esp because I am getting married and there might be that slight (extremely slight) outside chance I could get pregnant.

My hair is getting so thin I am really self conscious about it. I saw a really good Chinese doctor who has worked as a researcher with Chinese medicine on cancer patients in major hospitals all over the US and in other countries. He works with breast cancer as well so I expect he knows something about hormones. I am hoping what he is going to come up with, in terms of Chinese medicine, is going to help me. He said he thought we could balance my hormones and get my thyroid working better - get my hair to grow back. I hope so.
    I don't know if I should try a wig or not or what. My boyfriend doesn't want me to wear a wig when we get married. Not really sure why this matters to him.

19. sylvia plath

sylvia plath Member

Dislikes Received:
    hartothere– WOW are you serious? Actually now that you mention it the SD came on incredibly fast when I first started Rogaine liquid. It was the intense plaque yellow kind. It slowed when I switched to foam a couple months later & got prescrip. shampoo for the scaling and pain. I still have SD happening though :-/ I've been using Revita shampoo lately which has the same active ingredient that Nizoral has. It's been helping a bit.

Jenk
    – SD = seborrheic dermatitis. Please keep us informed about what happens with the Chinese medicine. It's something I'm incredibly interested in but I know that you have to find a very trusted doctor. I would love to hear how your experience pans out :)

Your boyfriend doesn't want you to wear it? I feel like you should do what feels right for you. If it's supp hair or just having your bio hair showing, it should be what you're comfortable with. Everyone will be looking at you on that day (rightfully so) and you should feel beautiful/comfortable and if a wig/supp hair does that, I say go for it.

20. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sylvia! The meeting with the doctor went well- however, these are herbs tailored to each person made by a place that specializes in Chinese medicine. They are herbs that grow only in China. When I asked the doctor today in an e mail how much they would run a month (he said I would get a 5% discount if I paid in cash)... he said 200 to 300 dollars per month if I took it twice a day. OMG. I don't know. I feel like I am spending so much money on my hair. Now I found out that I have to go back to school to finish my bachelors.. because I can't find work. They don't have a night time program so that means full time in the day. My mom said my hair is important and she is willing to help me - but you know, it's hair - not cancer- and while I am freaking to be bald or lose more.. am I putting her and I at financial risk by doing all this? She was hopeful, I think, that this doctor could help her husband with cancer as he has a very bad aggressive leukemia..

This is the doctors site and his credentials. http://www.georgeycwong.com/ it does appear that he has done quite a lot of research for various hospitals - he has an impressive background. I think the herbs are costly because they are native to certain places in China. I haven't uncovered anything negative about him.

The derm said my scalp looked very healthy even though I had some pain. I just think it might be overly sensitive to the dryer now that its so thin.. and also the scalp drops I have been using every day might have become a bit much.

I really need more work between now and the fall. Trying not to worry.