Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone got feedback about Lucinda Ellery, please?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by DazzleDust, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DazzleDust

DazzleDust Guest

Hi, everyone!! I saw Lucinda Ellery (London) on "10 Years Younger" the other week and as she seems to have loads of experience treating women with alopecia, I'm seriously considering going to see her for a consultation. Has anyone been to her salon for treatment and if so, how did it go? Have tried wigs but find them too obvious, plus I am paranoid about ruining what hair I DO have left. : :$ I am also quite a sweaty person (sorry to share!!) so don't fancy Toppik or any cosmetic type concealers. Lucinda could well be my answer!! :jump: I look forward to receiving some feedback, whether good or bad. Many thanks and have a good week, everyone!! xxx

2. scotia47

scotia47 Guest

Hi

I joined this board specifically to respond to your post!
    I went down to London a year past Oct as I was getting to the frantic stage with my hair loss. I visited Lucinda's and was quite happy with her friendly approach generally although she was very keen to show me fab pics of girls she has successfully treated for trich - not exactly relevent to an alopecia androgenica sufferer. I was hoping she would supply me with a volumiser, even though that would mean 6-8 weekly treks to London to have it adjusted. However, astonishingly, she declared I had 'lots of hair' (?) and it would be difficult to fit a volumiser onto that. I was so taken aback as I thought I was pretty thin! Lucinda whipped out a tin of Fullmore and sprayed my head with it, declaring that was my best option at that time. I've used it ever since although I'm beginning to hanker after something a bit better now and am currently looking for a top quality supplier of volumisers or pieces in Scotland.

3. jakey123

jakey123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ,
    My first experience was exactly the same. I did go back for the volumiser though, and regretted it. I am using Fullmore as well and have to thank Lucinda for showing me how.

4. Jaye

Jaye Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    DazzleDust

I'm an ex-LE client and have written up my experience in a Word document which I'd be happy to email to you if you want to PM me your email address. It's long, but in summary, I had about 50% hair loss due to alopecia areata and the system made more hair fall out due to traction. Lots of pros and cons with the system, but only you can decide whether it's right for you. Also, it's extortionately expensive to have put on and then maintained regularly and, in my opinion, not value for money. If it's still the sort of solution you might be interested in, I can put you in touch with an ex-LE technician who now offers the same kind of services for less cost.

Jaye

5. DazzleDust

DazzleDust Guest

Hi, everyone!
    Many thanks for your feedback. :) I got a can of Fullmore but found it disgusting, really stiff and crunchy. Was I putting too much on? Am just so fed up now with the whole (lack of) hair sutuation, just want a magic solution to it all!! :( Will keep finding out about alternatives but in the meantime, thanks again everyone! More opinions would still be welcomed!!

6. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Wow Soctia - your experience is EXACTLY like mine. Said too much hair for volumiser and out came the fullmore, lol.

My experience with Lucindas is confined to hair extensions. I had to cancel this weeks appt due to my work commitments, and was shocked that because i didnt give a 3 day cancellation notice my depost was going to be forfeited. I kindly told the reception lady i only booked it earlier in the day and so a 3 day cancellation notice clearly didnt apply.

I see LE as a money maker to be very honest. She's the nearest place to me that does fibre extensions which arent bonded onto the natural hair (and i dont want to use micro rings).

Now, i have been to 4 salons in central london: LE, Bloomsbury Wigs, Whitecliffs and Mark Glenn. I recommend Bloomsbury Wigs over any of them. My experience and i know others i have spoken to on the UK PCOS board have decent views of them too.

7. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Sorry i should clarify, i've had around 4 sets of hair extensions put in at Lucindas, and i went to Bloomsbury Wigs to have a bespoke integration hair system made up. I have it but havent worn it yet. Seeing Graham at BW next weekend to go through practise runs of putting it on and taking it off as the thinning is becoming unbearable! xox

8. scotia47

scotia47 Guest

Jaye

Your ex LE techie wouldn't be any further north by any chance????

9. jakey123

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

Sadie could you explain how your topper is made? Did you say that it has holes for your own hair to be pulled through?
    How is it attached?

Thanks

10. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Hi Jakey - i got my system from bloomsbury wigs. It was made to measure etc. I got it made so that there are several holes (netted in effect) for me to pull my existing bio hair through. However, i am having difficulty in doing this. It has several clips attached to a PVC strip going around (if that makes sense). I didn't want to go for the one where the fake hair was just put on top. I wanted something a bit more natural looking.

I am going to BW next weekend to have it put on and taken off repeatedly to get some practise in, and also get a fringe cut in. I hope i can do it myself :) Otherwise i am going to consider getting it attached on with microrings (at this point clips are NOT used).

11. jakey123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sadie,

It sounds good, keep us informed, as I am thinking of trying them. Pics would be great if possible.
    Are you happy with the hair quality and match to your own? Attaching with microrings sounds interesting,does that mean that it is similar to bonding?
    Sorry for all the questions ,but you know what its like, Ive already poured £3000 down the drain.

12. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

£3,000 on toppers/fake hair Jakey?! Lordy!

Well the hair colour matches mine perfectly. Once it is combed it looks natural, but my concerns is having exposure of the net to others. I work in a profession in which i am publicly speaking daily and i always have folk sitting behind me. This is how my hair extensions got noticed by someone! lol. So i am a bit paranoid and i wanna get it right.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes next Saturday. My only concern is that i still wont be able to do it :(

13. Yes, I went from Leeds and they seemed very cold and money orientated, it appeared as if the clients where on a production line !

I have ended up with going to a place called Hairdoll Ltd which is much closer to home for myself in Yorkshire, it is also half the price Lucinda gave to me.

I would suggest you have a look at their web page its http://www.hairdoll.co.uk

Crystal B x

14. Lucinda Ellery is sooooo over priced

And the money for a consulation isn't even given back to you when you get treatment! :thumbdown2:

While I was sat down in there all the staff were complianing about how it was a terrible place to work which made me feel very uncomfortable

If you want an at home relaxed experience while you get your hair done and with NO ONE else around looking and judging you I'd go to Hairdoll in Leeds, I switched from Lucinda to Hairdoll months ago and its so much cheaper and so so so much more private !! :bravo:

Its only 2-3 women in there but they really look after you !

CrystalB

x

15. JulieK

JulieK Guest

I'd also recommend Mark Glenn in London http://www.markglenn.com - I've been going there for a while now and they're fantastic, great bunch of people and, more importantly, my hair looks great and gets loads of compliments.

They are still quite expensive (although half the price of Lucinda Ellery) but then who likes spending money on anything?! For the confidence it gives me, it's been worth every penny Jx

16. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Mark Glenn is Lucindas ex-husband.

Both went on about how hopeless it was for me to have a system as i had too much hair. Graham at Bloomsbury Wigs said the same thing, but was able to find me a medium solution with a topper with a lower density. I'm surprised that both Glenn and Ellery, given their "experience" in hair loss (Lucinda having hair loss herself), couldn't advise me of that. Afterall they do hair extensions etc for people who dont have loss such as victoria beckham, cherly cole, pixie geldof etc etc etc.

Or maybe, and this is what i've often thought, they like to keep / have "high end" clients to keep their reputation amongst those who can afford to pay their sky high prices. Someone normal like me isn't as welcomed. Or maybe i am just paranoid, but i did go with my housemate at the time to Glenns and she even said it was a high market place and it felt like he didnt want to "help".

:dunno:

17. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

Fullmore takes practice, you just spray it in small bursts not like a hairspray and lift up your hair to get it on the crown/root area so the scalp is covered but your hair wont get that crunchy dirty feeling , ive been using it about a year now and its saved me from wearing toppers........

18. DaniellaZ

DaniellaZ Guest

JulieK I am quite surprised that you like Mark Glenn doesnt he use synthetic hair. I agree with almost everyone that Lucinda is a rip off. How can anyone charge £1500 +VAT fot Russian hair- and she uses glue. My advice is go to Tatiana Hair Extensions either in London or Manchester. She has the best hair which she gets herself from Russia, her prices are well below LE or MG and she uses Micro Rings. Plus the salon is cosy and she has the two cutest chihuahua!

19. JulieK

JulieK Guest

DaniellaZ, yes I preferred the synthetic hair option because it's lighter on the head (about half the weight) and isn't applied with glues and, most importantly, it looks and feels just like human hair. From an ethical point of view, I didn't want hair that's been on someone else's head especially having read the stories in the media about where it comes from. It works for me and everyone who's felt it and seen it thinks it's real hair. It's really easy to style because it reacts to heat so I can use straighteners and rollers etc. I wouldn't criticise anyone who uses human hair, it just wasn't for me.

20. Joanne D

Joanne D Guest

I went to Lucinda ellery for a consultation about 2 weeks ago. I am getting married in August and have been thinking about this for a while. I am getting really fed up with covering up patches and I certainly don't want to spend my wedding day worrying about my hair!! A friend of mine told me her cousin got a hair system done at a place in manchester (the guy used to work for ellery?) and she felt the system did not look natural so contacted ellery and they were happy to redo things for her. she told me the service was professional which I suppose is a bonus but I just want natural looking 'hair'. anyway, went to ellery on this personal recommendation and she was very straight foward about costs and appts etc. I saw a couple of clients at reception and their hair looked great which kind of inspired me. am just a bit disappointed that i have to wait 4 weeks to get it done but i feel good about finally making a decision about what system to go for. if anyone is interested I can update you once my hair is done at the end of march. i have read various review about ellery but you have to make your own mind up but i don't mind sharing my experience good or bad if it helps someone else. J