Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone had high liver enzymes due to Viviscal and Biotin?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by CarliGali, Mar 12, 2010.

1. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

H I~ I have not been feeling so great for over a month now. It's sort of on and off but I feel very tired at times, headaches, in a few instances I got a bit dizzy while exercising, plus some gastro crazy feeling, a bit nausea and stomach upset, my digestion seemed NOT to be working properly etc…

I finally went to see my dr and he order a bunch of heart test (there were all good) and blood work. My Blood work showed elevated Liver enzymes. In order to further investigate, he ordered an ANA test (antinuclear antibodies) and Hepatitis test, plus a liver ultrasound. Well, I tested positive for ANA which MAY indicate autoimmune disease, but he asked me if I was taking any medications etc…the only thing I have been taking for several months now is Viviscal 2x a day, Biotin 2x a day and on and off iron (slow fee) have anyone had blood work (liver) while on these supplements? Could it be affecting my liver? I have a rheumatologist appt next week but I stopped taking the supplements for now…I am hoping for not autoimmune disease as that would not be fun… BTW I seemed to have ready about Celiac disease or something similar to this name….I will search for that as I think qualifies as autoimmune disease as well…

Any thoughts?

Farrah711 likes this.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also take both of those supplements, but have not had any problems, at least that I know of. However, I wanted to post so I vould easily follow this thread.

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had this problem.. and I was taking Vivscal for ~ 6 months and biotin for, like, forever (still on biotin).

I did get elevated liver enzymes while taking fairly high doses of supplemental iron, though.

how high is high? A LOT of things can elevate those enzymes, my memory says (since i looked it up when it happened with me over a year ago.. and mine went back to normal).

Farrah711 likes this.
  4. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

okay - my AST was 116 while normal range is 0-37 and my ALT was 69 while normal range was 0-40.

I have not been taking Iron lately ....I did on and off...but was taking Slow Fee 2x a day for a while.

My Iron was 66.2 while normal range 30-160
    UIBC 276 normal range 110-340
    Iron biding capacity 342.2 normal range 228-428
    Percent Satuartion 19.3 WHILE normal range 20-50
    My ferritiong was up to 23 (last time I checked was 17 - back in Oct 09)

The test said Abnormal High so I guess is high ...The liver enzymes.
    Anyhow, I have an appt with a rheumatologist next week, lets see what he will say ...hopefully no major thing will come out of these but I do wonder if Viviscal and Biotin played a roll of this.

Thanks for your comments.

Farrah711 likes this.
  5. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

I don't know if this helps, but I have stopped taking biotin after only a few days because it upset my stomach so bad. I figure I am clearly not biotin deficient. Hope that helps. My symptoms were gastro and not good :)

Farrah711 likes this.
  6. I thought ferriton was the same thing as iron? I also have a low iron saturation rate (I think mine is under 10). Does anyone know what that means? Last time I checked, my ferriton was 17 like yours. But i have not checked it since I started SlowFe a couple months ago.

Farrah711 likes this.
  7. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

From what I understand - ferritin is storage iron in your body ...i
    At some point mine was 7 (back in 2008). Still trying to figure out about the Viviscal and Biotin ....so confused.

Farrah711 likes this.
  8. JGar

JGar New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I took Viciscal for a few months from late 2015 to early 2016. No other supplements.

In early 2016 I started getting nauseous at nighttime and immediately stopped taking them. Had blood tests that were otherwise fine, except for elevated liver enzymes. Took another blood test this year, 2 yrs later, and it turns out I still have elevated liver enzymes. No way to prove that it was Viciscal but I wanted to add one similar case to the books.

Farrah711 likes this.
  9. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:

10. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took viviscaL and it raised my alkaline phosphatate levels.