Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone Use Compounded Topical Gel? How?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by hoping4best, Jan 18, 2018.

1. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I got compounded minoxidil and finasteride today, finally! But...it’s a gel? I assumed it was going to be a solution. I’m not quite sure how to use a gel. Is anyone using a gel?

2. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine are gels, aloe vera base, Finasteride and Spironolactone. I asked that they be compounded in a moisturizing way since the alcohol is so dry to my scalp.

I simply apply them to my scalp. Yep, they’re a little messy.

What strengths did you get?

3. hoping4best

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! I have 0.5% finasteride, 5% minoxidil gel, I am supposed to use 1ml daily on my scalp. It comes in plastic 10ml syringes. It’s hard to apply so far! I feel afraid I’m not covering all the areas I need...

4. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine comes in plastic tubes and I know I apply more than 1 mL since it’s hard to spread evenly.

5. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    mine are in liquid sprays--ethenol based I think..(smells like alcohol)..been on them for a while now and they work really well for me.
    I have no negative such as drying to either hair or scalp.
    I also dont have to wash my hair daily if I don't feel like it.
    I cant say if a gel is a good delivery vehicle or not I have no experience and I don't know much about chemistry.

also my Spironolactone and my finasteride are in separate bottles--so no clue how they work if they were mixed together in the same bottle if they degrade one another or not...not saying they do--just i would be cautious to make sure they don't.
    medicine chemistry can be tricky so just be aware and do research when using all these things in how to make sure the delivery and compounding is the most efficient and effective.
    good luck

6. hoping4best

Dislikes Received:
    I called the pharmacy & they are making me a version in ethanol with a dropper (my preference).

I also got a tiny 1 ml syringe and I put a dose gel in that, it’s much easier to get it onto my scalp. I dot it on my scalp along my part where my loss is worst and then massage it into my scalp. It does leave a light residue & makes me need to wash my hair after two applications, though.

I’ll see if the ethanol is better for me. Thanks for all your helpful thoughts!

7. hoping4best

Dislikes Received:
    The pharmacy made me minoxidil + finasteride in ethanol and I can apply it with a dropper. *Much* easier for me, and my scalp and hair feel so much cleaner (I don't like washing my hair more than every 2-3 days). I don't seem to have much scalp irritation, either (the solutions have no PPG in them like regular liquid over-the-counter minoxidil does). It is even more expensive than the gel version, but if it works, I'll figure out how to deal with that.

Mcat, do you also take minoxidil separately, or is minoxidil compounded into one of those?
    Also, are they clear, or are there particle bits in your liquids? Do you have to keep yours in the fridge?

This is the first time my compounding pharmacy has made a minoxidil + finasteride solution for anyone, and the liquid is not quite clear, and I'm supposed to keep it refrigerated, which surprised me. The pharmacist as been great, though, and is open to tweaking things, so that's why I've been asking so many questions.

mcat11 and valentinab00 like this.
  8. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

No
    I use minoxidil rogain foam 5% womens 1/2 cap 1x a day.
    I use liquid form of finasteride I was told only other thing in it was the vehicle which I am assuming is ethanol (IDK for sure).
    It does NOT have to be refrigerated I was told it has a 12 month shelf life.
    I also have a liquid form of Spironolactone that has a 'weak' estrodial in it and i think caffeine..and it also I believe has an alcohol vehicle I am assuming ethanol.
    It does not have to be refrigerated.
    They are in those tinted apopthacarry type jars and they have spray pump...I do NOT see anything floating in them but hard to see to say for sure.
    Just out of habit i do shake them 1x just in case but no one has told me to do this.

If you can google 'Desmond' 'making topical finasteride' on bald talk (cant remember--i have put the link up here often enough should be easy to find)
    Supposedly (its the internet so I have no idea if its true or not) he is a pharmacist in Australia who gave instruction on how to make topical finasteride at home...so maybe you can find it and send the link to your Doctor to get their opinion or pharmacist.

I will say I had found at one time with Spironolactone there was a study that said the alcohol vehicle did over time weaken the Spironolactone--i still use it and I cant say if this was true or not since I had only read it 1x and never saw it again.
    I never found any study that said that about finasteride.
    BUT some finasteride is formulated with a Lipo (Cant remember the word sorry) vehicle not ethanol...so maybe that has to be refrigerated?

Sorry cant be much more help then that.

9. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there, I am Ruth, i have been diagnosed with pre Androgenetic Alopecia by biopsy, so i am treating it as Androgenetic Alopecia. I have been using minoxiidil 5% 2x per day for almost three years now. I have had great succes. Although lately my hair is looking a little bit worse again. It is only if i look very hard that i can tell it is getting worse. Some parts are a lot shorter again (that was my main concern that my hair was getting shorter) and on the whole it is getting somewhat thinner as well.
    It is stil looking fine but i worry that it might get worse. So i would like to add something to my regimen to keep my hair the way it is now for as long as possible.
    I read that you use compounded fina and Spironolactone.
    Coming monday i have a meeting with my derm and thought i might ask you some things.
    Did you add the fina and Spironolactone after you already used minoxidil, and if so did you feel that the fina/ Spironolactone made an extra difference for your hair.
    What is your exact regimen now? How much and how often do you use minoxidil? and how much and how often FIna / Spironolactone

It would be so helpful if you could tell me some more. Thanks a million in advance!!