Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone Using Topical Finasteride Have A Formula?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by hoping4best, Nov 6, 2017.

1. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
  2. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like I remember Mcat saying she used .5%. I'm curious about using this, too..

3. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My dose I believe is pretty high but I personally have no side effects.
    I dont think such a high dose is necessary BUT I do remember reading an study on ORAL finasteride that said women did better on 5mg (which is high) compared to 1mg (usual dose for me) where they say little change..The report made me understand women respond better to higher doses of oral..If its same for topicals I have no idea nothing to compare it to.
    So few studies have been done on topical finasteride or even oral finasteride on women.

My prescription says 0.5% but I do not know how it is formulated, It seems like the vehicle is ethanol(not sure?).
    I know nothing about chemistry. I shake it and use five sprays so the exact dose I use I cannot say for sure.

I know a poster named "desmond' in the past has written about compounding on bald talk (think that is name of site). He had some legitimate knowledge professionally about compounding if i remember correctly.

Im sure if you search around you can find formulas or call compounding pharmacies perhaps to get there advice or opinions.

Check the mens forums they are more into figuring out formulas. They are pretty helpful if you are direct about what you are looking into. Check out hairlosstalk

I think a pharmaceutical company is coming out with a study in February on minimal dosing of topical finasteride vs sides vs efficiency. I cant remember name of company.