Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone with dents in scalp?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by magic8, May 10, 2011.

1. magic8

magic8 Guest

Hi, I'm new here. Was just lurking for a while and fianally got myself registered.

So I've been fighting with Alopecia Areata since last Dec. 6 months now, and it is just getting more and more confusing for me.

This is my second time. First time was 8 years ago, grew back in about 3 months, and didn't really think much about it.

This time around, it started out smaller than the first one, about 2cm in diameter, so I thought it'd grow back like last time. And when I first found it, there was already new hair growing in the middle. The new hair that was growing is now about 3 inches long, and normal looking. However, the rest of the patch grew to be about 4cm now, and 3-4 new patches sprang up nearby. Progression is so slow - both in new growth of hair and the patches - that it's just driving me crazy.

Anyways, I've got a doctor appointment today for my second round of cortisone shots, and I've got an urgent questions for you guys. Do any of you have a dent in the scalp where the bald patch is? My biggest patch doesn't, but a smaller one I found just last month is noticably dented, I can fit my pinky finger into it. I did get a steroid shot there last month, but I'm kind of sure the dent was there even before the shot. Also, there is another area where it's itching like crazy and the whole area feels depressed to the touch and I can see a tiny patch starting up there as well.

I'm so scared that this might mean that the tissue inside the scalp is damaged. I can't find any information on this on the internet and I don't recall anyone writing about this on the forums I've read.

Do you think I have scarring alopecia?

Please help!

2. magic8

magic8 Guest

Ok, so I went to the doctor today and annoyed the hell out of him. lol

Anyways, long story short, he refused to give me a second round of injections saying he already sees hair growing, so no need... There is some hair growing in the middle of the biggest patch, but the patch is still expanding!! I insisted I want to get another round just to make sure it doesn't progress any more, and he refused... Should I go look for another derm?

So something new I found out today. The topical steroid can acctually irritate the skin! I think that was causing the red bumps and itchyness all around the balding area. He said the steroid can change the condition of the scalp and may contribute to fungus growing there or something. So I got an anti-fungal shampoo and will see if that relieves the itching. Come to think of it, the itching and red bumps started after I started using steroid. Crossing my fingers.

And about the dent... I've been looking at my diary and I realized that the dent came after the steroid shots. So I guess this is the side effect of the shots people were talking about?
    My question is that has this damaged the follicles permanantly in this area? People say that the dent will go away in a few months, but will hair grow in that area? Right now, there's nothing.

Oh, and one tip for those of you who have the red itchy and painful pimple-like bumps - try using pure aloe vera gel. I had them for 3 weeks and the aloe vera gel cleared them in 2 days! (btw, the one I have has tea tree in it, so it might be the tea tree rather than aloe vera, but whatever, it's gone!)

3. freakyfriday

freakyfriday Guest

yup, I have dents *but* I know they are from the shots I'm receiving, far as I have read and do read, they go away after awhile when no more injections are being done.

as far as another dermo is concerned, I don't know he may only want to inject in new spots, not spots that are already showing some growth, My dermo does it in the areas that have shown no growth whatsoever even if he injected the month before, but does leave alone the spots that show growth of some sort, they must have a reason for this.....we are not the dermo injectors so hmmmm on that one.

I'm glad you found a relief for your itchiness, in the beginning I had itchiness like bugs crawling all over my head...however that phase is gone...and I did get red bumps and still do dermo says it has nothing to do with Alopecia Areata, I'm almost certain this has to do with my injections.....and they are not itchy no more neither so I just leave them alone.

I noticed when My head/hair hurts bad like someone is pulling my hair by the scalp.....the next day I lose more hair/new spots are visible...or the spots got larger hmmmm

these are stages or the way it's going for me anyhow, I suppose not everyone with the same disease has it going on in the same exact steps, but there is a lot of similarities.....

as for any of other info or help regarding hair I have no clue this is all new to me.....
    the aloe sounds soothing though ty

hope everything works peaceful and happy for you:)

4. jojo1806

jojo1806 Guest

Hi, Im new here as well. I also have a huge dent on my skull after 3 series of injections. Had I known this was going to happen I would not have gotten them. The site shows minimal regrowth and its been 2-3 months since i last went back for shots. I don't think the injections are worth it, in my case. To make matters worse I have short hair. :( I did a little research and found out that the dents can happen when the injections are done incorrectly and not spaced out. I've have alopecia since 2008, been to see my first derm and this never happened. I moved and had to get a new derm and this happens. Now, im balding and slightly deformed. wtg..NOT!!

5. magic8

magic8 Guest

Thanks for your replies.

As for me, I've tried the anti-fungal shampoo and it seems to have reduced the itching quite a bit.

But the spot with the dent is still sore (it's been sore for about a month already) when I press it. I do hope that there's no permanent damage in that area. And still no sign on any hair on that spot. It's very scary that I have these weird senstations on my scalp and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it other than watch my hair fall...

Also, my homeopathic doctor recommended me a combination of coconut oil and sesame oil with rosemary and thyme essential oils. I'm supposed to do it every night and sleep on it, but it's just so oily I don't think I can do that.

Another question I have is that I've got a old spot that's kind of filled in, but the density is not what it used to be before. There's no bald spot now, but the whole area is just sparce and still quite noticable. Has anyone experienced this? Is it eventually going to fill out or is this it?

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome magic, :grouphug:

I've had Alopecia Areata on and off almost my entire life and was basically without the correct info on Alopecia Areata until 2004. I had no idea what caused Alopecia Areata or a real understanding of it. As a result I went at it blindly and even made poor decisions about treatments. I'm very glad to see newly diagnosed people arming themselves with as much information as possible. So important as many derms don't fully explain Alopecia Areata to their patients.

The most important info anyone newly diagnosed with Alopecia Areata should have can be found on this link:

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Al ... efault.asp

Dents in the scalp are a result of the cortisone injections. They do eventually disappear. Mine always did.

Repeated injections in the same area especially if it is for an extended period of time will thin the skin. Perhaps that is why your derm is reluctant to inject an area that is already regrowing.

The injections don't stop the loss that is was occuring or prevent new areas of loss from forming. They solely jumpstart regrowth in the areas of loss in hopes that the immune system white blood cells stop mistakenly attcking the hair follicles and the hair can continue to grow. If that doesn't happen then you can be growing hair in one area while losing it in another. You can even lose the new regrowth.

Keep in mind that in Alopecia Areata the hair follicles are always able to regrow hair even after years without if the immune system white blood cells stop their attack. I personally know people who had total scalp loss walking around with full heads of hair now.

The hardest part of coping with Alopecia Areata is the not knowing how bad it will get or when or if one will recover. I always give my own history as reason for hope because I lost almost all my hair at 4. Chance of regrowth at such a young age and rate of severity is very low and yet recover I did though I had ongoing bouts thereafter. Still I was extremely lucky.

In Alopecia Areata most people will recover within a year and only 1% go on to have the more severe forms of it. I have seen recovery even in those people so lots of room for hope.

Homeopathic remedies are not endorsed by the medical experts because they are not backed by clinical trials. Some may actually even make hair loss worse as the immune system is already in overdrive and you don't want to try anything that will stimulate it more.

Hope all this info helps. Feel free to ask any further questions or concerns you may have.

Hugs,
    Joann

7. Michelle Santener

Michelle Santener New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Here is everything that you need to know about a dent in skull or a skull indentation. It can cause due to Gorham’s diseases or Vitamin A toxicity.
    Mainly due to excessive intake of fat soluble vitamin is the major cause of vitamin A toxicity. Fat soluble vitamin contains Retinol and retinoic acid which in terms affect the body in some major ways. Excessive intake can also lead to death followed by liver damage, hairloss.

Also if the level of Vitamin A intake is not proper then your child may suffer a dent in skull, follow this table for more.

• 0-6 Months: 400 mcg
    • 7-12 Months: 500 mcg
    • 1-3 Years: 300 mcg
    • 4-8 Years: 400 mcg
    • 9-13 Years: 600 mcg
    • 14+ Years: 700-900 mcg
    Cures:
    1. Stop taking Vitamin A supplements.
    2. Blood test to check the amount of Vitamin A.
    3. Diagnosing at the doctor’s clinic.
    Vitamin A toxicity can lead to a serious cause as it mostly affects the liver or kidney. The severity of damage will be seen first before diagnosing or starting your treatment.
    Source: Safest Symptoms dent in skull