Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Anyone with TE and PCOS related Androgenetic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by evee, Aug 6, 2014.

1. evee

evee Guest

Hey, I'm new here and looking for some answers or at least someone to talk to about all of this. I've always had mild PCOS symptoms until now, but after a stressful year I have been experiencing intensive shedding that had led to me needing a topper in less than 5 months after noting a small quarter-sized area of loss on my crown. I'm on 200mg Spironolactone and bcp (went back on two months ago- the shedding isn't from stopping those because i'd been off of them for about three years before this started) and I'm also on a minoxidil routine given to me by a derm/hair speciaist. It's only continued to get worse than I thought possible (more shedding that anything i've seen related to a dred shed) and now I have thin sides (can't pull my hair back) and have started to loose my hair line. Could this really just be TE and PCOS???

-E

2. chantik

chantik New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the EXACT same boat. I have polycystic ovaries, but don't have any other symptoms other than irregular periods. This is my third instance of what a Dr told me the second time was TE. My most recent Dr appointment agreed with me its probably TE due to discontinuing BCPs (Whoops). They said that TE can "unmask" Androgenetic Alopecia and prescribed me Rogaine.

I'm terrified to start Rogaine. I heard it causes massive shedding, weight gain, and facial hair. Shaving my head and wearing a wig sounds like a better option at this point o.o

Also, my hair loss is most noticeable in the exact same place-a quarter-sized area loss on my crown basically.

I'm not doing anything right now-my dermatologist said I could try Spironolactone if rogaine doesn't work.

3. missblue

missblue New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I have PCOS without many symptoms. I did Rogaine for a while and had no side effects...There are many stories out there but I personally had no issues with and saw some improvement. I got a bit lazy and stopped using it...planning on starting again.