Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Are wigs easier to wear with a shaved head?

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Bengal77, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bengal77

Bengal77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like my post got deleted by the forum glitch. Here it goes again!

I've been debating shaving my head for a little while now. Before I commit to it, I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with wearing wigs with a shaved head. Do you find it easier or more difficult? Do you prefer to keep your head shaved or your bio hair buzzed very short? Or has it not made a big difference?

2. kiki11974

kiki11974 Guest

Thanks for posting this, I am curious to see what others say. I've debated about shaving my head. In some ways, I think it's because I am hoping that my hair will regrow (although, I know it wont). I thought about shaving, not because of my wigs, but just to get rid of the little bit that I do have and just accept that I am bald

3. Bengal77

Bengal77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone? I know that this is a question that hasn't been answered because I've looked. I'm really curious if the people who have shaved their heads and wear wigs find it easier and more comfortable, or if there are any cons to it.

4. Alliegator

Alliegator Guest

Hi,
    I prefer to keep my head shaved rather than buzzed. I like the feeling of a shaved head much better. Yes, there might be some cons, but it depends on the person. There are pros & cons of each option. Shaving takes more time & effort, but I still like it better. You can buzz cut your hair pretty quickly, but it can make a mess. I like my head shaved better when wearing a wig as well. I'm not sure how or why, but I think that it sort of creates a suction for the wig to stay on your head. All you have to do is put on the wig and go. You don't have to mess with any bio hair. Also, with shaving, no more shampoo & conditioner! I would suggest that you try to buzz cut it first. Then, if you start to like that, try the shaving method. I can help you with the shaving if you get to that point. I found a good razor & gel that I use to shave. Don't do anything if you aren't ready, but if you think you are then go for it! Keep me posted.

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you bond?

6. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends on how you want to wear them. If you want to bond and wear the wig without taking it off to shower/sleep then it probably would be more comfortable to shave (less itchy, smelly, less chance of scalp irritation, etc.). If you just want to wear it for the day it might be easier to keep some of your bio hair so that you can use wig combs or bobby pins to keep your wig attached during the day.

7. For what it might be worth: In Summer 2011 I started with a bonded topper,THEN about 2 months later,
    I lost MOST of my remaining bio hair(due to a rare disease), SO I had to switch to full wigs that I wear 24/7 even to sleep & swim in. I am actually MORE COMFORTABLE after the ''big hair loss'' my head stays cooler under the wig, and I use DERMAFIX,instead of tape/glue/adhesive/bonding. Your bio hair can't be more than 1 imch long or the dermafix doesn't work. -Marsha

8. Alliegator

Alliegator Guest

I haven't ever bonded. I just put on the wig and it is ready to wear. We like to call it the "plop & go". It is so easy and fast.

9. Bengal77

Bengal77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't bond for extended wear, sometimes I will use a little spirit gum or tape. I dont like the idea of 24/7 wear. I'd rather sleep natural and put the wig on daily. I was curious if wigs were easier to wear with little to no hair. I'm considering getting a pixie cut to start with since I've never had short hair in my life.

10. Lynda

Lynda Guest

Best wigs?

Which wigs are the best ones to wear with a shaved head, lace cap, front lace, etc.