Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Ashley, 25, Telogen Effluvium 6 Months Of Awful

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Ashrosee, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Ashrosee

Ashrosee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    hello! So my story starts somewhere around August, 2018. I started loosing A LOT of hair shortly after starting a new job. I ignored it for a while. Come November I realized there was a problem. My hair was always tangled. Always greasy. And it was everywhere. In my bed, in the shower, coming out when I brushed it. Falling out while I worked. I was finding it stuck in the vacuum cleaner. My once thick curly almost unmanageable hair was disappearing. Finally I was able to get into a dermatologist. He took one look at my scalp and told me it was T.E. Some days I doubt this diagnosis as I am still loosing so much hair. I’ve had blood work done recently with some interesting results. I was tested across the board for any possibility and the one thing they noticed is that my ferritin is extremely high. Was definitely expecting the opposite. So now that’s a whole other thing I have to figure out. But for the first time in months I have hope. I am growing hair again! It’s still falling out. I’ve counted regularly and it’s usually about 50-60 every shower. Not including what I loose through out the day. But I finally have little baby hairs close to my scalp. Curly tiny little ringlets! I feel I am a long way from the end. I have good days and bad. I have not put conditioner in my hair for almost 3 weeks now. Because unfortunately once I lost so much hair, my scalp is overproducing oils and my hair gets extremely oily. I’m still figuring this out. I’m a long way from the end. I just wanted to put this out there to give hope! This is the most tramatic thing that has ever happened to me. No doubt about it. I’ve maybe got about 30-40% or my original hair still. You can see my scalp in places. And all over 6 months! Don’t give up everyone. Hope is the only thing keeping me going.

sunlit and TinaM1968 like this.
  2. emw16

emw16 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Ashley, I've been dealing with telogen effluvium for the last 6 months too :( It's honestly been the worst experience but I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm 21/in college and I know how hard it is to lose so much of your hair...I've probably lost about half of my hair and even though other people say it looks "normal," I can tell the difference. It's scary. My hair is straight not curly, but it also gets extremely oily and flat, so I actually have to wash it more often now (I got a shampoo from my dermatologist that helps a little bit.)
    I also got tons of blood tests and everything was normal. Everyone has told me this is due to stress, and even though I have had an extremely stressful year, I just can't believe that has done this to my hair! I also have some baby hairs growing at the top of my head, but it's not enough to fill in any of the thin patches. Most things I've read say TE shouldn't really last more than 6 months...so I'm really, really hoping that my shedding is going to stop soon.
    It can be really helpful to talk to other young women going through this, so update me if you want! I really hope your hair gets better :)
    Emma

3. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    God bless you and keep up the hope! There's an end to it. I am the same age as you, and my hair loss started with telogen effluvium at age 20, which turned into chronic telogen effluvium. I didn't have regrowth for about 4 years, then suddenly in 2018 I started having regrowth, and my regrowth has stayed growing for 6 months now. I know it's awful to hear 'try not to be stressed over it', but really the only thing that slowed down my shedding and allowed my regrowth to stay in my head was stopping stressing about it. For me the answer to that was wearing tape-in extensions to cover it up, because then I didn't think about it. Would NOT recommend tape-ins as they caused me traction alopecia and now I have less hair than before despite my regrowth, but I do recommend trying to cover it up with hair fibres/powder, clip-in extensions, halo extensions/hair on a wire, or a hair topper. Anything that means you feel like your hair looks good so you don't have to worry about it.

4. emw16

emw16 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much for writing this! It gave me a lot of hope...I'm actually starting antidepressants over this whole thing, so hopefully that will lower my stress levels. I also got some hair fibres and great clip in extensions just for when I go out at night. Definitely made me feel better (even though I wish I could have my real hair of a year ago.)

If you don't mind me asking, were you ever worried that you had androgenetic alopecia? I feel like every day I'm making myself paranoid looking at my hair loss and wondering if it's not actually TE...even though my dermatologist said it was. I'll probably end up doing a biopsy in the next few months. From what I've read, female hair loss is just so frustrating because there's so many factors and sometimes doctors don't know what's going on. For me the worst part right now is not really knowing what caused it or when it will stop. But like you said (same thing my mom told me lol), I guess the only thing I can do is not stress.

sunlit likes this.
  5. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I was worried it was androgenetic alopecia. To be honest there might be androgenetic alopecia in there, even though I have regrowth at the parting. But it really doesn't make any difference and I'm not going to waste time sweating about whether it's this type of hair loss or that type. Either it'll regrow and stay in, or it won't. And only time will tell with that.

6. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    Did you have any small hair being shed as well? Like small, thin and circular hair ..along with the long and normal ones ..

7. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been experiencing hairfall since 11 months now ....initially diagnosed with TE but after some 6 months into the shed, I saw miniature hair shedding as well. So went to a new derm, who said it's androgenetic alopecia.

I have been on iron,vitamin,biotin tablets since the beginning and even took 2 sessions of PRP in Aug-Sep 2018. This showed no improvement for me . Following this my derm recommended BCP+Aldactone combination . I started taking this from November after my marriage and am still on it . But my fall has increased manifold since last 2 months . It's like in 100s daily where the 80% portion is small, thin, circular hair.

I am wondering whether this is coz of the pill?? But it didn't increase in November ..it started increasing from December .
    Or is it the hormonal change post marriage ? ( My derm thinks this is the reason ) . If yes, how will this decrease ....:(
    Also, I moved to the UAE which is a humid area compared to India in December....Can this be the reason ????

My hairfall is somewhere taking down on my mental health as well..although I try avoiding it..but it's hard to see this happening....

I would really be glad to hear for suggestions on this !
    Thanks in advance !

8. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone on ?

9. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:

Hi Angel! This is a few months old but dealing with similar situation.
    I have androgenetic alopecia as well and started taking Yasmin/spironolactone 200mg. Started Yasmin in June 2018 and Spironolactone 150mg in September 2018 and increased to 200 in December. For the last two months I have been experiencing a crazy TE shed! I assume it was from taking Adderall for two weeks straight because a few weeks after, shed started to increase, and the last month has been heavy heavy TE shed with scalp inflammation. I should have know better about the adderall, I am so mad at myself. I believe that medication is what kick started my Androgenetic Alopecia from the beginning when I took it years ago. When I started to look into why my hair was falling out two years ago I stopped the medication. Stupid me for trying it again.

Anyways, had success with Spironolactone and stared feeling like my hair was getting better then BAM! TE shed from hell. I hope it ends soon and the medication starts to work again!!

How are you now with the meds and shedding?? This is really getting me down...

#9 Hairmess, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Angel likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also on spironolactone since November 2018....So almost 7 months now....But still I see miniaturized hair falling along with longer ones..!!

11. Angel

Angel Member

Dislikes Received:
    And isn't it also a fact that no new regrowth takes place with Androgenetic Alopecia?

12. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thinner and finer strands I believe

13. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, if left untreated they return miniaturized. Theoretically, the Spironolactone is supposed reduce production of androgens and stop them from returning thinner and finer to help maintain density. In some cases even regrow some hair. The anti androgen birth control gives us that extra estrogen to help follicles stay in the Anagen cycle longer. Synergistically, the two can hopefully help maintain when suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia.

By jan I noticed a huge decrease in my shedding. It was wonderful! For three months it was bliss. Then in April I took the adderall. Two weeks after noticed an increase, like going back to how my hair was shedding before treatment. By mid to end of May, the shedding was very obviously TE. Similar to when I tried minoxidil. So absolutely awful!
    Spoke to my Derm she agrees it’s TE from either the adderall medication or when I had the flu a while back. I truly believe now the adderall kicked off my Androgenetic Alopecia years ago. Used to have the same itchy tingling sensation I just don’t think I was aware that I was shedding more. Can’t remember.
    Anyways, All i can do now is wait and hope my hair doesn't become completely decimated and that this is the Spironolactone no longer working :(
    I am working on knocking out the inflammation right now with Clobetasol and it’s helping. Started to take nutrafol to help regrowth. It was suggested by my Derm.
    Keep me updated since we are on a similar path :)