Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

B1uebird, Age 34 Androgenetic Alopecia From Age 18

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by B1ueBird, Dec 27, 2018.

1. B1ueBird

B1ueBird New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I’m 34 and live in the UK. I’ve had an official diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia this year.

It started when I was 18. I thought it was due to stress. Over the years I’ve tried the following lotions and potions-

Regain, Chinese acupuncture, Viviscal, Nioxin, Nourkrin, Caffeine products, Zinc, Iron, Multivitamins, Jamaican Castor oil just to name a few!

My Doctor (Dermatologist) advised me that my only option now is a hair transplant after giving me the diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia. After having my second child I decided to go to a clinic. I’d mentally prepared myself for the option of surgery, to be told that I needed a year on a prescription only strong type of Regain to get my hair at optimum health (I’ve used regaine regularly to no effect). Then after that I’d only be suitable for a front hairline transplant, as apparently transplants don’t work in the same way with women as they do men. I’d also need a hair tattoo (micro pigmentation) to the rest of my scalp.

I felt deflated as I was going to be spending a lot of money and I wouldn’t be getting the result I wanted.
    I’ve decided not to go down the transplant route, and I’m now wearing Human hair toppers. It’s early days but I love it so far and get “the look” I’ve always wanted.

I used to go months where my Alopecia didn’t bother me. As Ive gotten older and it’s worsened (plus two lots of postpartum hair loss) it’s gotten hard to disguise with hair fibres/root spray and backcombing. People have also commented. My hair loss is diffused over the top, a bald spot at the front with a fine hairline. I’ve lost around 50% of my hair. I’ve come on here for information and support.