Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Back After A Few Years... Ready To Get To The Bottom Of This

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Eddadde, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Eddadde

Eddadde Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, everyone. I was on this forum in 2015 when I first noticed my hair loss. Since thing I have just been waiting, hoping for the best, and treating what my doctor thought was subclinical thyroid. I had a lot of other symptoms back in 2015 as well - fatigue, brain fog, etc. - and since then my health, diet, and everything has gotten much better! I feel good! But, I have to face the facts, my hair loss is not getting better. It's only getting worse.

I'm 32 years old. There is some mild hair thinning in my family. No one started this young and everyone now looks pretty okay (I haven't seen my mom in seven years but both my grandmothers have good hair for their age!). I don't have any other symptoms at this point except some darkening of the hair above my lip - this is very mild.

I'm ready to start treatment to keep it from getting worse. I already have to keep my hair cut pretty short for volume, I can't pull my hair back for all the visible scalp and temple thinning, and I notice my part being wider, but I don't think others do yet. What kind of doctor should I see? Should I do a scalp biopsy to confirm Androgenetic Alopecia? Ask for Spironolactone? Hormones? Minoxidil?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Farrah711 likes this.
  2. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Most people will see a dermatologist but an endocrinologist can be useful too. I'd go with the derm first.

For the biopsy generally I say it can't hurt to have more data but it depends on the situation. If they try to fob you off and say it's just TE then definitely push for the biopsy but if they think they think it's Androgenic Alopecia and are willing to prescribe meds then it might not really be necessary. (ETA: I'd recommend you ask for blood work to test your hormones as well. There are a lot of different ones that I see get recommended online and on these forums but IME definitely at least have them check your testosterone and DHT levels).

As for treatment it really depends on how aggressive you want to be. Topical Minoxidil and oral Spironolactone are pretty common and safe (just don't get pregnant on Spironolactone -- they will probably make you take a BCP).

3. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you on any thyroid medicine? Sometime that can cause more hair loss as well. I know it did for me