Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Back from derm appointment, sad. He said i could try Spironolactone before considering biopsy

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by samantha303, Oct 21, 2015.

1. samantha303

samantha303 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is my third derm. The other two think I have CTE and just brushed me off. This derm said i might have Androgenetic Alopecia. I am a bit scared. Dont know what to expect.
    I dont have insurance. The biopsy is going to be £650 so i am thinking about trying Spironolactone for 6 months.
    But what if it doesnt work? How would I know if it's because it just doesnt work for me or if it's because I dont have Androgenetic Alopecia?
    I am also worried about the side effect, worried about having to be on a medication for the rest of my life.

I feel like crying

2. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would not go on Spironolactone if you are not sure you have Androgenetic Alopecia..

I would do a biobsy to know for sure...

hugs for you....

3. samantha303

Dislikes Received:
    but £650 is an obscene amount I can't afford it at all.
    And a lot of people have been saying how biopsy is not worth it :(

4. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi.
    Sorry to give a conflicting opinion to fleur--i know that just makes it harder to make a decision on what to do.

I would give a pass on the the biopsy. A biopsy isn't helpful in 95% of cases in my opinion. CTE will usually have some degrees of miniaturization, and even if none is found Androgenetic Alopecia can still develop further down the line. It took years of CTE for real miniaturization to show up for me. Anyway, I think early treatment is always best for hairloss no matter the cause.

If you have no genetic or androgenic component(unlikely) you can always get off Spironolactone and suffer no ill-effects. As far as taking meds for rest of life. I get it. I really do. But, that is just perception. Most things need to be done continuously to maintain a good outcome. You don't think about how you wish you didn't have to continue to brush you teeth everyday, right? :) I know not the same--but if it is that you think meds are not good for the body--how is the rest of your lifestyle? Do you eat clean, exercise, etc. Think about offsetting any negative on the body with Spironolactone with increased awareness on other aspects of your health that may have a lot more damaging effects over time (like eating sugar, 14 hours in front of computer, cell-phone attached to your head, etc...)...

5. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think 6 months on Spironolactone is enough time...but sounds like you should give it a go and pass on the biopsy for now. Maybe in 6 months or so you can get one.

6. samantha303

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Megan,

Yeah I don't think I will get a biopsy.
    I made a mistake of blow drying my hair before visiting the derm, my hair ended up being a lot more volumised than it was supposed to be. As a result, my derm thinks I still have a lot of hair :( :shock: I asked him what if the biopsy results come back inconclusive, he said there's no way it will be inconclusive. At that moment I kind of felt like he was trying to *sell* me an expensive scalp biopsy (he is a derm in London with good credentials tho)

A year ago I'd try anything to save my hair. Now I really don't want to try Spironolactone. I am scared of the side effect particularly weight gain.
    I am going to retest my prolactin level which has been high for two years and rule out a potential benign tumour.
    Also going to check coeliac disease.

i just don't want to take Spironolactone/contraceptive pills/rogaine for the rest of my life. I'd rather wear a bonding system :( :( :(

- - - Updated - - -

And a lot of people say it made them shed more first? It really puts me off. After rogaine dread shed i havnt got much hair left

7. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:

8. samantha303

Dislikes Received:

9. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I went on Spironolactone even though I'm not sure if I have Androgenetic Alopecia or TE. But I have elevated testosterone levels (possible PCOS) so it made sense for me to go on it. So far, three months in I have gained a few pounds. Not entirely sure if it's from the Spironolactone though because I went on birth control at the same time. I don't mind the weight gain so much as I am thin anyway. It did cause some initial shedding, or at least I think, or maybe that was just my period of shedding coming to an end and fluctuating as it did. But, I did notice a correlation between starting Spironolactone and increasing my doses and increased shedding.

10. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Samantha - I think it's definitely the right call not to get a biopsy if you don't want one. In certain cases, it can be helpful (and I wouldn't try to discourage someone who really wanted one from getting one) but if you're still noticeably shedding - which I assume given that some docs think you have CTE - the chance your biopsy result will be inaccurate is that much higher. As someone who got a biopsy, the "diagnosis" left me with way more questions than answers. And as someone who happily spends hundreds of dollars on their hair a month between supplements, Rogaine, doctors visits, etc, the $100 co-pay I was charged on the biopsy is the one hair expense I've felt was not worth it.

I love Megan's post about how to put in perspective the idea of having to do something every day for life. If there is more bloodwork for you to get to rule other potential causes first though, then definitely start there! Regarding the weight gain, I totally hear you, though when a drug causes you to gain weight it's generally because of a change in hormones. Therefore, once you go off the drug, any weight you gained because of it is generally lost. So, if in 12 months time you feel like hey, this isn't helping my hair (or not enough for me to want to continue), it's not like you can't go off it and any side effects (weight-related or otherwise) will cease.

11. samantha303

Dislikes Received:

Hi Eliza,

I am really scared about putting drugs in my mouth again as I believe my hairloss is due to a medication I took a month before this whole thing started.
    What really put me off having a biopsy done is that my derm thinks biopsy will not produce inconclusive results and he looked at my with a magnifier and told me I might have Androgenetic Alopecia because he can see small hair. He's supposed to be a good derm who charged me $400 for half an hour of his time. And he quickly looked at my blood test results without even telling me if there's more tests I can do.
    I lose all faith for dermatologists.

12. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think you need to figure out why you are experiencing other symptoms before doing a biopsy and DO NOT go on Spironolactone with an elevated protactin level--you need to look more into that before going on anything.

I would say no to both and pursue the hair loss in conjunction to other symptoms you are having.