Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Bad shed day :(

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sheeny, Jul 15, 2015.

1. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have to vent because I'm having a tough day. Have shed a pretty decent amount so far today in brushing & styling & I haven't even washed my hair yet :( every single hair was long and healthy. My shed has been going on since the beginning of the year & it is draining me mentally. I can deal with the thinning scalp, it's the constant hair fall that is really taking a toll on me. It has to stop at some point, right? The regrowth is about 25% to what is falling out- there's no way it can catch up with the shed.

2. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    I have. Every "good" hair vitamin,zinc, iron, etc. I've been taking biotin & prenatals for years, way before any hair issues.
    They think I have cte related to hormones. I've had "hormone" related sheds in the past but never more than 2-3 months before they resolved.

3. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I'm not on any hormones/birth control now- haven't been for 5 years. I just started a low dose of Spironolactone last month but it hasn't seemed to have done much.
    I appreciate your kind words :)

4. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi sheeny,

Just sending some positive vibes your way. I know it's tough when you see/feel the hair fall and it all feels so out of control! Have you increased your Spironolactone dosage yet? Or, are you uncertain as to what to do?

Yesterday, I "graduated" to 100 mg Spironolactone/day. So, I've been on it for exactly 6 weeks, starting at the low dose of 25 mg/day. Skin great. Hair never gets oily. My hair fall seems to be my "normal" 80-100/day. It might be a bit less, but I grew tired of trying to count the hairs, so I'm estimating. I'll continue to share updates with you. My doctor said I should give it at least a few months, and from what I've read, we really need to give it six months to a year.8O

Keep your head up! Wishing you all the best!

5. pollymaggoo

pollymaggoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I could have sworn I shed 300 hairs yesterday. Just like you are saying, full beautiful healthy hairs and all over the place. Never comes out in clumps just strand by strand by strand. I'm really trying to keep my mind off of it, but it's impossible. Walking to the bathroom knowing I have to wash my hair is daunting. I've only been shedding for 3 months, but it actually feels like it's accelerating. I've been on Spironolactone for 2 weeks tomorrow. Trying to remain hopeful but it can be hard. :/

6. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Anne- thanks for the positive vibes! I truly appreciate your support! I am now on 75mg as of this week. I see my endo on Monday & I'll see what she thinks about going up. If anything, I would like to stay on it for the oil control. It feels nice not having super oily skin & I can go 2 days without washing my hair!
    I had a "bad" shed the other day that mentally got to me. Thankfully, these past couple of days have been much, much better. Thank goodness- I needed that little break! Hopefully it continues!
    Congrats on your "graduation" lol!
    Let me know how that dose works for you- I'm right behind you!
    Pollymaggoo-
    It is so hard to see those healthy hairs fall. You'd think after months and months of it I'd get used to it, but I haven't :(
    My last derm I saw ( a very reputable one with alopecia herself) told me that those healthy hairs are part of the TE cycle & you'll get them back. We'll see, right? I hope we do!