Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Bioidentical Hormone Pellet Therapy and Hairloss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Janie710, Nov 10, 2014.

1. cocoflyer

cocoflyer New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started hormone pellets in March 2018...on my 2nd pellet, (the pellet mix was the same, estrogen and testosterone), with the 2nd pellet I started hair loss at an alarming rate. I also started vaginal bleeding (I am 60) I was given DIM Detox to lower the estrogen.
    My dr said the hair loss was because the Estrogen was too high, and the DIM Detox will counter the higher estrogen (over the counter). The Estrogen was the cause.
    I was just assuming that as the pellet wore off, my hair would start growing again. (I had long relatively thick hair, now...thin flat hair) I hate touching/looking at it. Each day I finger comb it (so gentle with what I have left) and put in a braid and wear a hat).
    Want my locks back, am I to understand that this may not happen, even after the pellets wear off?

The pellets made me feel better, and helped with my "non-existent" sex drive....BUT the thinning hair makes me want to not do anything (a hint what men go through as they know "baldness" is approaching)

Anyone help on what to take, shampoo to try.....just want my hair back

Farrah711 likes this.
  2. Linda

Linda New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Only had one pellet insertion session, 4 months later, hair loss right at the top sides of my head. I noticed right away. Stop pellet therapy and go another route is my advice. Take some dht conversion blocking agent like evening primrose oil and hair growth stuff like biotin. I'm getting ready to try GNC 30 day hair skin and nails since it had both ingredients. I'll chime in later and let anyone who is interested know what the outcome is. Always read all info on anything you take that is new, even if is says natural herbs or whatever. Everything has side effects, even ice cream:)

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. angkee

angkee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad to find this forum and hoping I can find some help here. I started BHRT in July using a cream. I didn't use it consistently and started out very slowly, concerned about side effects. I did start feeling better, but the hair loss was instant and in massive amounts! I stopped using the cream as soon as I noticed the hair loss, so I only used it for about 8 weeks, but I'm still losing hair. I researched and read about Saw Palmetto and Biotin. I've been taking it about a month and the hair loss has slowed, not as much each day, but I'm concerned if it will come back. I've lost about 50% of my hair and I've never had thick hair to begin with. Anyone have any experience with their hair growing back?

Farrah711 likes this.
  4. angkee

angkee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. A general thinning all over. I've never had thick hair and before starting BHRT, I had finally gotten what was a head full of thick hair for me. So glad I had or I would likely be bald. But my hair is SO thin now, thinner than it's ever been, and I'm really getting nervous because it shows no sign of stopping.

Farrah711 likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Dislikes Received:

Farrah711 likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I received the testosterone pellets and immediately had large amounts of hair loss. Doctor only mentioned that I may gain weight and would grow hair on my face. I am frustrated that they don’t share the possibility of hair loss with the patients. I was diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia due to way too much testosterone administered and it took months for the testosterone to work itself down. I have spent $$4400 on prp treatments and it did help grow new hair, but the month I was stopped from my treatments, the new hair started to fall out. Was told I need the $1100 prp monthly in order to save my hair. Not doing it.
    Please do not get on Hormone pellets!!

Farrah711 and TinaM1968 like this.
  7. Farrah711

Farrah711 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on Synthetic HRT....Premarin and Progesterine (medroxy).
    Has anyone gone this route before trying the Biodenticals? Been on the Synthetic hormones for over 10yrs.
    No hair problems. My hair loss was caused by a drug called Myobetric.
    After many supplaments and vitamin infusions .....I have my hair back after 18mos. I am thinking of trying bios...mine is a cream. Progest and Estrogen. I am reading these posts and thinking I should stick with the synthetic.
    One day on BIO and whoa bloating!
    Thank you

8. Farrah711

Farrah711 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on Synthetic HRT....Premarin and Progesterine (medroxy).
    Has anyone gone this route before trying the Biodenticals? Been on the Synthetic hormones for over 10yrs.
    No hair problems. My hair loss was caused by a drug called Myobetric.
    After many supplaments and vitamin infusions .....I have my hair back after 18mos. I am thinking of trying bios...mine is a cream. Progest and Estrogen. I am reading these posts and thinking I should stick with the synthetic.
    Thank you

9. Farrah711

Farrah711 Member

Dislikes Received:

10. LLJ

LLJ New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am going through major hair loss, and I am certain the pellet is to blame. I had mine put in October 2018. Started noticing minimal hair loss in December and now it is coming out in huge clumps. I have lost over half of my hair. A month after getting my pellet my labs showed my T levels at 314 (up from 36). How high was yours? My doctor is insisting that the pellet is not to blame but saying I have alopecia from a autoimmune disorder I have. How did they diagnose you with androgenetic alopecia? Did you take any DHT blockers both orally and topically? I am so sorry you are going/went through this. It is terrible and more oversight needs to be done. You posted this awhile back so I am hoping you are recovering your hair.

11. LLJ

LLJ New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you have any success with growing your hair back? I am going through this right now and started using a shampoo/conditioner that blocks the DHT. Also taking Saw Palmetto and starting spironolactone. Hair is still falling out in clumps and have lost over 50% of it.

12. LLJ

LLJ New Member

Dislikes Received:

How did the GNC 30 work? You are literally telling my story. Exactly 4 months after having the pellet I began losing hair. It's over 50% gone, and I am stressing out. Started the DHT blocking shampoo/conditioner along with saw palmetto. Doctor just prescribed spironolactone. Hoping this is reversible.

13. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Dislikes Received:

14. Ellen

Ellen New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so sorry you are going through this! My dermatologist told me that she sees this way too often with pellets and she always advises women against them.
    I took Saw Palmetto along with special shampoos trying to block the DHT. None of it helped. I’m not certain what my actual testosterone count was once they were inserted, but after almost 4 months after the pellet insertion, my count was over 400. I really received way more than I should ever been given. My doctor sounds very similar to yours with not taking any ownership of the pellets causing this. I had great hair before the pellet, so I don’t buy the fact the pellet had nothing to do with it. My dermatologist did a biopsy on the area around my temples where I was losing a massive amount of hair and it came back with androgenetic alopecia. She said it most likely will not come back, but I’m not accepting that report. I believe in the power of prayer and I am getting new growth.
    I really feel for you and what you are going through.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  15. LLJ

LLJ New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am in absolute shock. Your T levels were over 400 after 4 months. That is way too high even for it just being first put in. I am so very sorry. And yes, our doctors do sound very similar. Mine was "shocked" that I thought it was because of the pellet. She was adamant that she's never had a patient report hair loss with it. Biote is also a big money maker for her practice so I am sure she will not admit to it. She doesn't want that getting out.
    Do you know your levels now? I am wondering if you still have high T levels and it's still converting to DHT? If so, maybe you can start with the spironolactone along with the shampoo. I am so glad you are seeing results, and I absolutely believe in the power of prayer. Keep it up!
    Again, I am so sorry that you are going through this too. There really needs to be more information out there about the negative effects of the pellets. Red flag for me should have been when insurance refused to cover them. Sadly, I have come across many people that are experiencing the same thing. Sending positive thoughts your way!

16. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve heard this way too many times with women using pellets, and even some using bio identical hormones anytime we alter our hormones we cause chaos. I’ve prayed to death and see no positive results in my hair. Maybe gods just not listening to me