Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Biopsy Results Show One Thing, But Symptoms Show Another?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Megan, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Megan

Megan New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone. I've been dealing with my second bout of hairloss for a few months now and finally got the results of my scalp biopsy back. Basically a ton of things were found in my scalp, but my final diagnoses is nonscarring inflammatory alopecia caused by seborrheic dermatitis and TE. I was told to use a shampoo called Ketoconazole and after a few washes, i am losing about 30 hairs a day instead of 300.

Now the strange part is I am now beginning to lose my eyebrows and lashes. It is diffuse hair loss so far and its only been happening for about two weeks but I am terrified i have Alopecia Areata/universalis.
    My dermatologist is adamant I do not have it due to the biopsy, however I am very doubtful.

I have honestly been the most stressed out I have ever been in my life due to the hair loss and several other health problems rearing their head, and waiting for diagnoses and treatment. I have also increased my uptake of biotin, so idk if that has anything to do with it. Maybe its just a severe case of TE? Or maybe my hair follicles are being attacked? I dont know what to think.

Any input or advice is welcome!

Thanks~

#1 Megan, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. Marry1993

Marry1993 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You can try to ask different dermatologist for a second opinion

3. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You sound like me. is your scalp really flaky but not really what you see when you google Seb derm?

4. Megan

Megan New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! If i scrape my nails against my scalp, i have a bunch of gritty,flakey, oily bits under my finger nail. Its really gross, but Ketoconazol shampoo is helping a lot. My scalp is itchy a lot, but just looking at my scalp, does not show the seb derm.

5. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I didn't like the shampoo. I didn't really give it a good chance though. I feel like mine is internal. Fixing my scalp isn't going to help the hair loss. I've had this for a long time though

6. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you have alopecia aerate you would have actual bald spots happening on brows--not just excessive shedding.

If you have bald spots or patches on brows--and your Dr is not helping you--get your biopsy reports and go to another dr.

If the KEto is helping--then I think you had a proper diagnosis and treatmetn.

Stress may be making you shed more on brows and the hyper-awareness that happens to us when we have hair loss may be making notice it where in past you would not have thought much of t...If its a bald spot or patch then I would think it could be areata.
    Does anyone in family have it or had it? Mom or dad or siblings?

Aerate, even if its mild or a small area-- in most cases--I think is hard to miss..it causes bald patches or round spots of no hair..there are some rare cases of defuse areata but I it would not positively respond to Keto.
    If you went from 300 to 30 hairs a day then the Keto is working and you had a proper diagnosis.

Hair loss can make us have PTSD--Im not even kidding..not just us women even if you go on the mens site it can make us all super neurotic and hyperaware of ourselves.
    I'm not saying you DONT have hair loss on your brows but try to asses if its
    1 excess shedding
    OR
    2. actual hair loss in an overtly obvious circle or patch that everyone else can confirm looking at you.

I am curious if you can have same condition on brows as your scalp but just milder?
    Maybe ask dr if you can put keto cream just in case? But talk to him first may not be good for that area.

Good luck

Megan likes this.
  7. Megan

Megan New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly really appreciate your reply. It give me some reassurance.
    I dont have any patches, but I am concerned about diffuse Alopecia Areata. No one in my family has any sort of issues like Alopecia Areata, autoimmune or even hair loss. Even though i have been shedding A LOT of brows and lashes. They look exactly the same. No noticeable patches or spots. If fact, when it comes to my brows, I am plucking the excess hairs every few days, instead of a couple times a month. So it seems to be growing back quickly.

I actually have been using my shampoo in my brows, since my derm said i could but i am not noticing a difference.
    Either way, thank you so much for the reassurance!

mcat11 likes this.
  8. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Brows suffering from a diseased hair loss like thyroid and areata--its quite noticeable quickly..that your brow growth i turning over quickly this could just be a coincidence..IDK but if they look good and you have to keep plucking strays-this is good sign.

Megan likes this.