Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Biopsy Says Androgenic Alopecia But Blood Results Show Normal, Healthy 20 Year Old Girl

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Ann Mac, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Ann Mac

Ann Mac New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was on tri-estarylla for about 2 years then I switched to the Nexplanon implant during the middle of June 2017 and I got it removed during the middle of December 2017. During middle of September, I started experiencing excessive hair loss and it has not subsided since I removed Nexplanon. I got a biopsy in January 2018, the results said I had chronic inflammation with some scarring and it is believed to be androgenetic alopecia. My blood results are normal, hormone levels too, and there is no family history of any sort of hair loss. The only symptoms I have is that my scalp gets very irritated like red and I have a lot of dandruff which I have never had either of these problems until November 2017. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else? Also, my doctors said I could go back on the tri-estarylla but I am scared it will exacerbate my hair loss. I'm only 20 years old and I do not know what to do, this diagnosis consumes every day of my life.

I am currently being seen by a dermatologist, but she is not acting as swiftly as I would like her. I started the steroid injections in my scalp which I will receive every 4 weeks, rogain twice a day and ducray anaphase shampoo. However, rogain is turning the hair I have white in some areas. Does anyone know any hair loss doctors on Long Island, NY?

2. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I posted a few posts on your other thread.

I really liked the dermatologist I saw at Columbia presbyterian hospital in NYC..>Dr Mckay Wiggans--I don't think she is there anymore--not sure see below.

your biopsy to me sounded either like they made a mistake or it's complex due to the inflammation ..(some biopsies are wrong I had a wrong diagnosis and they had to take a second sample and cross compare and then adjust my initial diagnosis--it happens.)

https://www.columbiadoctors.org/specialties/dermatology/overview/hair-scalp-disorders

https://www.columbiadoctors.org/specialty/dermatology/our-doctors

I would try to see one of these two;
    this list says Mckay-Wiggans is accepting new patients--but I had a letter telling me she was moving but if you can get in see her--she is the best.
    https://www.columbiadoctors.org/julian-m-mackay-wiggan-md

If not I would try Dr lyndsay Bordone--think i saw her on youtube once talking about alopecia.
    https://www.columbiadoctors.org/lindsey-bordone-md

Good luck keep us posted.

3. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    To add to mcat's comment, biopsies for hair loss, unlike biopsies in many other fields of medicine, are not definitive. They give you a picture of what is going on, but they aren't 100%, so I would definitely suggest getting a second opinion!

I totally understand how you feel. I was 22 and healthy when my hair loss started. Here's what I would suggest... start slowly and methodically exploring possible causes and treatments for your hair loss. Don't run around like a crazy woman trying every remedy in the book, because your hair loss will likely not stop overnight due to any treatment (I'm only saying that because that's what I did when I started losing my hair lol... lots of wasted money and emotional energy). You said your doctor offered to put you back on your original BC... Personally, I wouldn't. I would give my body a full year to rest from artificial hormones. That being said, I'm sure some women here would disagree with that and would suggest getting on a hair-friendly BC. So you just have to think about what you feel comfortable with. Do research before making any big decisions.

You said your blood results show a healthy woman... what labs were drawn? Ferritin, Zinc, and Vitamin D are particularly important for healthy hair. Obviously hormones are as well. Sometimes lab values can show in the "normal" range, but they are not optimal. (For instance, my ferritin was showing just a tad bit low at 13. 13!!! They suggest a level of at least 70 for healthy hair growth!) Do you mind sharing some of your lab results?

4. Ann Mac

Ann Mac New Member

Dislikes Received:

Everything was normal like my Ferritin, Zinc, Vitamin D, estrogen and testosterone.

5. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think probably it was from the BC change. It also sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. I had this and it started with a few red itchy bumps and then turned just into a dry itchy scalp. NO shampoos helped. The only thing that helps is apple cider vinegar rinses. I would think that the dermatologist would see this though?
    My loss started after being on a hormone balancing supplement for a year and not realizing that was the cause. My loss slowed to normal shed after 2 weeks being off if it but nothing ever grew back and I sometimes now lose some more. It is awful. Whatever I lose most doesn't grow back.
    I had a biopsy that said very subtle miniaturization but they were unsure so clinicopathologic correlation is needed too. But wouldn't some of the hairs grow back?? I truly think they have no clue and it is all a guessing game.
    The Dr who did the biopsy also did blood work. My ferritin was only at 17 and she said it was good when every where I read says it needs to be above 50 to grow hair properly.

6. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    wow not even a 'thanks' LOL

valentinab00 likes this.
  7. Timzi

Timzi New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you're sensitive to normal androgens levels, also I read somewhere that there should be a specific ratio between T and estrogen and when that changes hair falls....

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tula, would you mind sharing how you did the ACV rinses? I have inflammation and no shampoo is helping! I actually think Nizoral makes me shed more.

Thanks so much!

9. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
  10. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use 50% ACV and 50% water. You can also add an essential oil in to help with the smell. For me tea tree oil also helps with the itching. I don't really measure it out! I just pour some into a cup and then match it with water. Then after shampooing I pour it over while rubbing in and leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing. I really think that shampoo did nothing to help at all. My head feels so much better now. My hair still isn't growing back, but I don't think that was a cause in the first place.

11. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Dislikes Received:

Thanks!