Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

birth control pills friend or foe

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by texasgirl10, Jan 3, 2011.

1. texasgirl10

texasgirl10 Guest

do any of you think that birth control pills could be the cause of your hair loss and maybe some of your other problems? I'm beginning to think that may be the case with me. Been doing alot of reading on how bc can cause a hormonal imbalance an trigger hair loss. I have a pcos diagnosis but I question if that's really the case. I believe that all my years on birth control has caused an imbalance which in turn has caused my hair loss. I really would like some feedback all theories welcome :)

2. cwoc

cwoc Guest

I think it can. Once you start playing around with hormones anything can happen. BCPs have helped some people, but they have also triggered or exacerbated hair loss for others! I think it just depends!

3. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

i agree! bad BCPs triggered a horrible TE for me last year. however, it is what my gyn recommended for me once i got my PCOS diagnosis. i am 31, though, and there is a strong history of stroke in my family. i know i don't want to be on BCPs unless there is no other contraceptive option available. happily (but not really!) i am not in a relationship now and don't have to worry about that.

anyway, i don't think that docs have it nailed down to an exact science. the clinical research on BCPs uses averages, yet hormones seem to be a very individual matter.

sorry i can't be more helpful. just wanted to give my 2 cents!
    kay

4. cgristima

cgristima Guest

What kind of birth pill control had the least amount of negative side effects? My periods are irregular and I get really bad cramps, and my parents told me it's fine if I get on birth control to regulate them. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and they told me to discuss my irregularity. I wanted to know, which birth control would you recommend?

5. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I liked Yasmin. I've only been on three types of BC but it is the only pill I took that I did not gain weight on.

However, some other pills that should not be bad for your hair are Ortho-tri-cyclen (sp?), Ortho-cyclen (etc.) or (I think) Desogen. As far as I know none contain a form of progestin that mimics testosterone-like activity which is what you want to stay away from.

Some good low-estrogen pills are Yaz and Mircette.

Any of the pills mentioned above should theoretically help reduce acne, oily skin/hair, and/or hirsutism if they are problems of yours. I'm assuming since you are on this site that you already have hair loss so I won't put any warnings on this about BC causing hair loss (in my case it was stopping the BC that kicked off my hair loss, but everyone reacts differently).

I also have irregular periods when off the pill. You may also want to discuss the idea of taking your pills in an extended schedule. I take the active pills continuously for 3 months and then am off for 4 days to have a period. I like the freedom that allows me to plan activities and not have to work around my cycle every month. Just a thought anyway as some people do not realize this is an option.

If you look around on this site I'm sure there are a few places that someone has posted a link to the BCs available which includes a general ranking and categorization of what pills are good for which problems.

6. rayna

rayna Guest

7. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

Perimenopausal FRIEND

8. lemongrass

lemongrass Guest

high androgen BCP = foe

low androgen BCP = friend

9. dying curls

dying curls Guest

high androgen BCP=foe
    non andorgenitc or antiandrogenic BCP = friends

10. texasgirl10

texasgirl10 Guest

I dont recommend any of them :( it is in my opinion and again this is just my opinion I'm not a doctor or anything, that birth control pills are bad for you. I think that by fooling around with my hormones by taking birth control pills caused my problem or at least contributed to it. I just question how long you can supress your body natural hormones with synthetic ones and not create a problem and this may not be the case with all women, some may take BC pills with no problem but then their are others who may be more sinsitive to it. Do your research before puting anything into your body and question your doctors. My doctor's handed BC pills out like candy.

11. aries

aries Guest

My hair does much better when I'm on birth control. I have been off of the pill for over two years now and my hair loss is crazy not to mention my weight gain. I think the pill helped keep my hormones in check. I never head acne, heavy periods, cramps or any mood changes on the pill. I suffer from all of these now.