Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Bonded for the first time!!

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by daisylover, Aug 3, 2012.

1. daisylover

daisylover Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I finally did it. I bonded my topper this week. Well, I didn't exactly, I had my stylist do it for me. But there is now hair attached to the top of my head!!! OMG.

So, I wore this topper as a clip in 3 years ago. I absolutely HATED wearing a clip in topper!! I did it for about 5 months until my hair started growing like crazy during a pregnancy. Now fast forward, my daughter is 2 now and my hair is crap again. It's really really thin all over. It's to the point where Toppik doesn't even hide it. So, I started researching again. I found a stylist in my area who specializes in bonding. (I found her on the hair direct forum).

To make a long story short, she cut the clips out and bonded this topper to my hair last night. We did not shave my head. We bonded to the top of my hair. That way, it's completely reversible should anything go wrong. Not that I necessarily expect anything to go wrong. But I've read about cases of people being allergic to the adhesive and I had my concerns.

Anyways, I have now slept in it 2 nights. And I worked out in it yesterday. So far so good. It does feel like a lot of hair on my head. My hubby says no one will ever suspect anything. There is one little spot at my part that I worry is noticeable, but I don't think you'd see it unless you were really looking at it. And while I can feel it on the top of my head, I don't think anyone would think it felt weird if they touched the top of my head.

I'm really nervous about going back to work next week. I've been off this week and haven't seen anyone I know yet. I'll post pictures later when I have time. I just wanted to start a post documenting my journey. I know it helped me so much when others would post about their bonding experiences. I wasn't brave enough to shave at all, let alone do it myself, so I give all those women props for jumping in with both feet. I'm not much of a risk taker.

I need to wash it today for the first time and then style it myself. I'm slightly nervous about that. I'll keep you posted.

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow- hope it works out. It would be great to have good hair 24/7. I wear a clip on.

3. bessie

bessie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your post sounds really liberating!!!!! I shaved for a topper this January - like you I have a stylist bond it for me.

You're beating yourself up for not shaving - but it sounds as if this system isn''t suitable for you at this time. Considering it's emotionally challenging losing hair - you're doing great. I don't think there's a dichotomy between shaving and bonding onto bio hair - it's whatever system works for the individual; so the decision to shave for me was expedient not brave.

It'd be interesting to see your pics - am waiting for my son to show me how to load pics of my bonded topper.

As to your anxiety over co-workers noticing a difference, I had the same concern so wore the topper hair up for a few weeks (but also because my first piece was such a crap wig) so my natural hair line was visible. People who aren't versed in wigs assume it's real once they see the natural hair line, and wearing it up gives them time to get used to the extra hair on top. So when I eventually wore the hair down people didn't notice the difference (this is assuming your topper isn't a short piece).

Look forward to your subsequent posts.

4. daisylover

Dislikes Received:
    Day 3 of bonding. I washed it myself yesterday and then hubby and I went out for date night last night. The shower went fine. It took a little longer than usual just to make sure I got all the shampoo and conditioner out of it. I didn't like the way it looked wet, though. I thought it was obvious when wet. So that knocks out any ideas I had for taking my son to a water park. And sleeping in it is really not that comfortable. I can feel it when I lay down. And one little spot on my head has become quite sensitive to the touch. I'm not sure why.
    And I am having some anxiety over the hairline today. I am so afraid that it doesn't blend that well. And I think the top of it is visible. It's not a silk top. It's the same topper from these pics back in 2009:
    http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/showthread.php/12804-First-Day!/page2
    I am going to have to get used to it, though, at least until I can get a new one ordered. I'll try to take a good pic of the top and the hairline to get your opinion. Maybe I should just start wearing headbands to cover that section. I'm just really really nervous about going back to work on Monday.

5. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at the other pictures, it looks really good! I have a question about bonded to your own bio hair, does it feel like it is pulling on it? It is very secure? Does your scalp feel like it is clean when you shower with it? Try not to stress about work, I think only we notice these things and not everyone else!

6. daisylover

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I made it through the day at work. I had two different people say to me, "Your hair looks different". I told them I got it colored. I'm not sure if they completely believed me, but it at least shut them up. I thought it was interesting that neither said "Oh it looks good." :(
    I'm sure I was worried for nothing but still. I am super paranoid about the part section. I will have to take pictures for you so you can see it up close. I think next time she detatches it, I will have her reattach it closer to my hairline. I thought it was going to be 1/4" - 1/2" back, but it's really more like 3/4". Too far, in my opinion.

@mycurlyhair - To answer your question, when she bonded directly to my hair, she pulled my bio hair as straight and as close to my scalp as possible. It doesn't really pull, but there are a few places where it's a little tender to the touch. I don't know what that is all about. I do feel like my scalp gets clean, but of course, I've only had 2 washings so far. It's all such a learning process.

7. bessie

bessie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds as if your first day back at work with your new hair was ok for you daisylover - I'm glad. People who comment on a change of hair (or whatever) and then don't back it up with a positive are miscreants - it indicates their inability to deal with change - their crap - not yours. The colour of the topper from your pics looks very natural. As mycurlyhair points out it's usually us that notices the slight discrepancies!