Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Bonded Maintainance Update

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sessa555, Sep 1, 2005.

1. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I had my hairpiece re-bonded last Friday and it was super fast and easy. She used clippers to 'shave' the piece off of my head, washed and deep conditioned the piece, and bonded it back on.

When she took the piece off, I was shocked at how much my hair had grown underneath it (length-wise, not thickness-wise; unfortunatly, still as thin as ever, but not moreso which is good). It was funny because they turn you around when they remove the piece and then wrap your head in a towel so you don't have to see, but curiousity got the best of me and I peaked. I seriously laughed outloud, I looked ridiculous.

There was quite a bit of white gunky build-up underneath the piece that was pretty gross. She washed and conditioned my hair and scalp really well and then exfoliated my scalp so that it was super-clean before she put the piece back on. It felt wonderful!

I definitely have realized the importance of having a stylist you can trust, and I don't mean just trusting that they know what they are doing. My stylist is a wonderful, outgoing person who it supportive and caring and I think that has made a big difference for me as I go thru this process. I figured that it would be a huge traumatizing ordeal every time, but it's been totally okay and low stress.

As far as the hair goes, I'm washing all of my hair (piece and natural) every three days, but I have a system where day one I wash it all, day two I wash just my natural bangs, day three I wash just my natural hair with the piece part pulled up in a showercap and then I repeat the cycle. It's worked out great so far. If I get up late day 1 and my natural hair is too oily to blend it in with my piece, I throw it in braids and put a bandana on and wash that night. My piece is in excellent condition, still good as new, and I think that is in part because I don't wash it daily (it doesn't need it...in fact, I could probably go for 4 or 5 days w/o washing the piece but that just grosses me out).

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

I am so pleased for you Sessa I really am .....I would LOVE to see a pic of your new hair peice ...

3. sk

sk Guest

I'm glad things are working so well for you. I'm curious, who do you see in Oregon? She sounds like a great stylist. Thanks.

4. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

Shawnee at HRS of Portland in Tualatin.

5. Did you notice any scalp irritation when she removed the hair piece? When I had a hair integration (pulls the hair through, no shaving), I had horrible scalp irritation and burning when the hair piece came off, but I'm wondering if that was because so much of my own hair got caught under the piece and became kind of matted and really greasy.

-Kelly

6. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

There was no irritation, but it sure was nice to be able to actually scratch my head! They use a really strong but really hypoallergenic glue and I haven't had any problems with it. I have super sensitive skin so I did a test patch on my arm before hand.

7. I am so glad to hear that this is working out for you given what you have been through in the last two years or so! Congratulations!