Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Bonded piece: what I've learned

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Lesliet, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Lesliet

Lesliet Guest

Hi everyone. I have some info that I want to share.

I've been with Apollo for a year and had nothing but heartache so I tried another place (small salon in my area). I went for a consultation at William Collier Design (WC) in Seattle. I had the best experience. Within a half an hour, William asked me If he could cut my hair system (from Apollo). (His assistant wears a HS too and told me later that she was surprised he didn't do it sooner. William cannot stand a bad hair cut. Btw, she looks fantastic - I'll tell you her story later).

Now, I just went for a consult, I haven't paid a thing, and he's offering to cut my hair no strings attached. Of course I said yes!!!
    William has a great reputation as a hair stylist on the west coast.

First thing: He told me that the hair for new HS are all one length. You need to thin it and then layer it so it moves like your own hair (so it reflects new growth/old growth). He worked his magic on me and I can't begin to tell you how much better it looks.

Second thing: The big clubs hire technicians not hair stylists (in other words, they know how to service the HS but not necessarilly how to cut and style the hair so it looks great). My problem was not the HS it was the cut, color, and style -- amateur work.

Sessa555, I finally understand why you love your hair -- you have a great stylist who knows how to service HS's -- not the reverse, like I've had.

Now, the assistant is probably 32 and I would never guess in a million years that her hair was not real. It looks beautiful. I told William that I want my hair to look like hers (it's shoulder length in whispy layers. Color totally suits her). He thought it would be a good look for me to. I need to grow my hair out but can do it in stages. The assistant was at Hair Club and had the same experience I had. She switched to WC and later became his salon manager. I asked her if she was married or dating (she was nice enough to answer me). She's had the same boyfriend for 4 years and they both lost their hair at the same time. She was so confident and looked great. She gave me the boost I needed.

I want to tell all of you considering a bonded piece to look at small shops in your area (check the phone book, do an internet search, whatever). Look for a good stylist (one with a good rep) who specializes in hair systems. Ask for credentials and experience. The clubs cannot give you TLC the way a small shop can.

Happy Sunday to you all!

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    How wonderful for you--I'm so happy! It would be good to have a place where everyone who uses a wig, extension, weave, etc. and has had a good experience could post it for the rest of us. Unfortunately I'm all the way across the country--anyone know of a good place in Charlotte, Winston-Salem or Greensboro, NC?

3. September

September Guest

I'm glad to hear you've found a salon in your area that you're happy with! Hair systems are expensive & a good piece can be ruined by a place that doesn't know how to cut them in properly. I too go to a small shop & am very happy.

4. Lesliet

Lesliet Guest

thanks Lily and September. I go for my fitting (create the template) next Sat.
    I would be glad to ask WC who they recommend anywhere else across the US. Let me know.

Cheers.

Lesliet

5. Nayners

Nayners Guest

Happy for you

Hi LeslieT,

I'm so glad that the consult went well. I have a topper from William Collier Design that I got last April. I'm ordering an additional one in the next few weeks.

Even though, I don't live on the west coast anymore, I'll be visiting Seattle and Oregon in December so I will have William do the cut in appointment then.

Let's keep each other posted.

Take care,
    Renee

6. Lesliet

Lesliet Guest

awesome!

I think I can now take a break for a while from the endles pursuit of the perfect solution and live my life.

Lesliet

7. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

Woooohooo! Congrats, I'm sooooo very happy for you! :)

8. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Lesliet, thank you so much for sharing...I have my first appointment with Apollo on saturday...

9. Amy

Amy Guest

That is great news!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!! You sound so happy. Can he recommend someone in the Atlanta, GA area?

Amy

10. Amy

Amy Guest

One more question,

Any pics to share???

Thanks so much for sharing your info and story.

Amy

11. Lesliet

Lesliet Guest

oooh, that famous question about pics -- how about I post when I get my new hair from WC. It will be a vast improvement from what I'm using now. WC improved my cut but I still have bangs that are too short and the color isn't right...

Am I vain? -- most certainly ;)

Krapiva -- glad to hear you're going forward. All of us need to explore our options -- and sometimes take a deep dive! Let me know how it goes -- ask a ton of questions and make sure they take samples from all sides of your head. You'll get the best color that way. If your hair is fine like mine then ask about density --

12. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Thanx...will certainly do...i used to have fine wavy hair...i still have some thicker places on my scalp, but then some are very very thin...i am mostly looking to cover the top/front of my head...i am getting off bcp, so i don't know what the future holds for me...but i want to chose the option before i'll actually have to...i am not good at making impulsive decisions...
    I'll keep you posted, and will definitely come back for more advice...

13. patchyfro

patchyfro Guest

Help

It was so good to hear a positive story. I am currently in California, but I am originally from the east coast, and planning to return. I have a small natural afro, and my hair is thinning in the top. It just has seemed to stop growing. I am so tired of looking at my hair this way. I use to have a chemically relaxed hair, and after encouragement from a dermatologist, I cut my hair all off, thinking....... it will grow back. Well it hasn't....my hair growth is stunted and now I have this small afro... that is thin in the top. I am looking for any suggestions to help me find someone to get me on the right track with extensions, wigs, etc..........or even healthy hair to keep what I have left.

Help Patchy fro.. It is so frustrating be 25 and loosing my hair.