Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

bonded piece

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by dorothy, Jun 24, 2005.

1. dorothy

dorothy Guest

Hey girls, I am wondering where to go to get a quality bonded piece in the Washington DC area. For now I am trying to get a realistic topper but I think I would be much more comfortable long-term with bonding. Does anyone know the details of how to find a place that actually does this kind of hair replacement, without going to Hair Club or anything like that???
    Thanks,
    Dorothy

2. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

Hey Dorothy!

Well, I ordered one from HRS of Portland, which was recommended by Apollo of Seattle as an affiliate. I think they might be the same company, or at least go through the same supplier. Anyway, before diving into this one I spoke with several clients, including their receptionist who actually let me dig through her hair to feel the piece bonded to her head. It looks incredibly realistic. They don't make you do any sort of club membership, though the do offer it as an option after your first year (to make sure you like it). I paid $1,800 and the piece will be in at the end of July. It's $75 for rebonding, and it totally depends on the individual as to how often you need it. Some people do it every 3 weeks, some every 3 months. I guess it depends on how fast your hair grows.

I called a few days ago to check in and the receptionist asked me if I was excited. I said yes just to be polite, but to tell you the truth, I'm totally not, I'm a nervous wreck over the whole damn thing. After the Great Sequence Debacle I am, to say the VERY least, a bit gun shy. I will, of course, let everyone know how it goes.

--S

3. Nayners

Nayners Guest

HRS

I went for a consultation at HRS of Portland and know exactly the receptionist you are talking about. She let me see her hair upclose and how it was bonded. If I remember correctly, I think they only offered bonding. Is that what you are having done? Please let us know how it turns out for you. I was seriously deciding between HRS of Portland and another place. I'm curious how it works out so please keep us posted.

I was looking for clips instead of bonding so I was referred to William Collier Design in Seattle as one of the best. I drove the 3 hr drive from Oregon to Seattle and was very impressed with his work. Have you heard of him before?

I recently purchased my first system from him--and it is all so new! I'm trying to get used to wearing more hair on my head. It is an adjustment when you don't grow it yourself and it is clipped on.

At the cut in appointment, William really took his time in trying to get it right (almost 2-3 hrs)--which I really appreciated. I just wished I was closer to his location. I recently moved to the east coast so I don't know when I'll be back in Seattle anytime soon.

Good luck with HRS and let us know,

Nayners

4. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I will definitely let ya know how it goes. I was specifically looking for a bonded piece...I'm not great with hair, and clips pulled too much and were VERY uncomfortable to me. I want hair that is glued on, that I don't have to take off, and that someone else will cut and maintain. The whole shaving part of your head thing used to be incredibly scary to me...so scary, in fact, that I spent thousands of dollars on a piece from New York that clipped in that turned out to be a total scam (picture a flat brown doiley with hair tied on it). Now I am actually kinda looking forward to shaving some of it as long as the piece looks right. HRS only does bonding, but they are willing to bond on top of your existing hair if that's what you want to do. However, Judy said that literally every single client who has had it bonded onto their existing hair has come in within a couple of weeks to have it shaved down and glued onto their scalp. I was impressed that HRS doesn't cost an arm and a leg...well, in comparison to other companies at least!

5. Peony

Peony Guest

bonded pieces in dc

dorothy,
    i am thinking about trying to convince amy's of denmark to go into the bonded piece business. but honestly, there's got to be SOMEONE out there. i'm thinking about ordering a new lf toppiece (to "grow out" my original topper haircut), so i might go there again soon. keep me posted if you find anything!