Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

bonded wig -would LOVE thoughts

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by asc, Oct 16, 2013.

1. asc

asc Guest

hi all -
    i started losing hair in my mid 20s and for the first year was super devastated. my god, of all the things you should worry about in your 20s, this isn't one that feels anywhere fair! i went online a few years ago and heard about dov salon and have been going to him since. i know ive heard alot of different things on this website but for me, he has been pretty awesome and his pieces are flawness. very few people know i wear fake hair, and i get compliments a lot. i got married last month and used one of his pieces -i attached a pic so you can see how real it looks.
    now..that was the happy part. the sad part is in the past few weeks, my hair has done a REALLY bad downhill. it was already looking pretty awful but now the clips now sort of hurt bc i dont have as much hair to clip in as a used to and taking off the hair piece now makes me feel completely devastated because i see how bad my real hair has gotten. im thinking of getting a bonded wig bc i hate having to come home and take off the topper -i still want to be sexy for my husband! and even more, want to feel like i can shower, work out, and just live without having to put my hair on like a hat everytime i want to feel normal.
    but i have NO idea where to begin. i live in new york city, so i know i have some options, but i dont know what to do or where to start -esp since dov doesn't do bonding.
    i would love anyones advice. im feeling...FREAKED.

Attached Files:

2. orbit

orbit Guest

This is very interesting to me too, as I have worn "traditional" wigs for 20+ years and the idea of a bonded piece is intriguing for all the reasons you mentioned. I know little about them and am keen to learn more. I think the one that concerns me is, how do you keep your scalp healthy and clean under the bonded toppper/wig? "Luckily" I have Alopecia Universalis so I don't have to worry about hair growing underneath, but how easy is it to keep it and your head clean and fresh under there??

By the way the photo you attached is amazing, you look beautiful!!!!

3. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, asc and Orbit! I can't offer too much advice except to say, if you are thinking about a bonded topper/wig and can find a reputable company - DO IT!! Seriously. It is the best decision I have ever made. asc - i agree your clip-in topper looks GORGEOUS but if you aren't feeling comfortable with it or want something you can sleep in, work out, swim, etc. bonding is the way to go. I was losing my hair for 20++ years since I was a teenager and kept holding on to hope that something would happen and my hair would miraculously come back. When that didn't happen, i jumped right into bonding. I didn't wear a wig or a clip in topper before, just shaved and bonded. It took me a LOOOONNNNGGGGGG time to get to this point, but i'm so glad that I did.

Orbit - my base (and most out there) are made with a very fine lace/mesh so water and shampoo gets to your scalp but you can't really "scrub" it but it still gets clean. I switched to all sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners and haven't had any scalp problems at all (knock on wood). I get mine re-bonded every 5 weeks and my scalp always looks normal when the system is removed. Sometimes it gets a bit irritated, but that's more from the adhesive remover they use than from having it on for that long. A lot of people re-bond every two weeks and most people that bond on their own remove it every week and re-bond.

If you would like to see a pic of my topper, please PM me :)

4. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Angela I have questions that someone with your experience might be able to answer. Please check out my post about bonding.

5. ksgrl

ksgrl Guest

I have been bonding a full lace wig now for 4 months and have mixed feelings about it really. Mostly because I've been struggling with density and color. I just can't seem to get it right. I think once I get my specs down I'll be happier. The thing is, once you shave you are committed!

6. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    ksgrl I just answered you another thread :) I loved the look of my FLW and the fact it looked so good tied up but the bonding side caused me problems, even though I tried loads of tapes weekly bonding left me with severe allergic reactions and I just couldn't sleep in it as it irritated me like hell. The shedding of my FLW was another annoyance and I never master removing the tape without pulling out some hair from the wig. I sewed in thin skin to make tape tabs at the temple and nape and this helped that problem.

My FLWs are now past it and I have been wearing a supplex wig instead. I am in month 2 and so far really pleased with it. For my life style this wig works really well and it is easy to maintain, so far no shedding and the hair is still soft.

7. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    im Alopecia Areata and have tried many different styles. What is your hair loss pattern? For a few days now ive been bonded only on the front hairline with a front lace wig with combs on the sides and back. It works because my hair loss is a the crown.When i bathe i simply flip it forward and wash my bio hair with bio shampoo, and the wig with proper shampoo, then flip it back into place. the glued front stays glued.

- - - Updated - - -

i never shaved tho. i used the adhesive just outside my hairline

8. verbatim

verbatim Guest

Hi asc!
    Very nice wedding picture and congratulations!
    Did you get assure about purchasing remy hair? I mean, if supplemental hair it's not knotted to the base according to the direction of cuticle tips and roots, is a mess covered by a silicon coat to make it softer. After a few washes or just for using it, you are having the hair so tangled and crimped all day. Maybe you can ask in your saloon about remy hair and if it's not remy, ask for a refund or for a fix (they use bleach and amonia to make cuticles nicer).
    About the shedding, maybe is because you have to brush your hair so much and hard?