Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

borrowing hair?

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by hanna, Nov 11, 2006.

1. hanna

hanna Guest

I know it's a crazy idea but if I had a family member who wanted to donate suitable hair for me to use in a transplant, would that be possible? I assume it's similar to other transplants in terms of matching and rejection risks. Has anyone ever studied that? Just worried that by the time I can afford a transplant, I won't have enough hair to help myself.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think you could have a problem with rejection. But of course I don't know.

3. annej

annej Guest

i dont know either, but have heard it can only be done with ur own hair..

4. hanna

hanna Guest

the rejection is my concern as well. I'm mostly just curious if it has been researched and if it would ever be an option.

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You might ask the doctor who answers questions on this forum--he does hair transplant and would certainly be aware of any research or experiences along this line.

6. hanna

hanna Guest

I thought that would be the case.

As to status of my hair loss...My hairloss is not noticable to anyone but me at present unless I point it out, but it is progressing. I was shedding more than 200 hairs a day this summer. This has decreased dramatically, but it seems that I can see more of my scalp now than I could 6 months ago. (I can see approximately 2 centimeters into my hairline at the bangs and the sides are thinning as well.)

All of my hair loss seems to have happened in the last year. To that point, I had OK hair-- i.e. it was not a think mane of hair, but it covered my scalp.

What would you recommend?
    Thanks!

7. hanna

hanna Guest

oops I meant to say thinning temples not sides. The sides and back are fine, as far as I can tell.

8. hanna

hanna Guest

Thanks Dr. Bauman. I know it's high time to do something, but I'm waiting until I have insurance so that I can get a dermatologist's opinion and weigh my options from there. I have submitted my request to your website as well. In the meantime, should I start rogaine or would that cause more problems than it solves?