Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Brought my first topper!

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Pumpkin Pie, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie Guest

Well Ladies Today I went into a wig specilaist looking to buy a full cap custom made wig as I had so many problems with the fit of the caps of the shelf wigs.

I never expected this today, the lady I saw said I did not need a full wig as I would be more natural with a topper so that I can use my own hair. The unit she sold me was half the price of the unit I was intrested in so straight away I though hang on... their not money grabbers and geniune kind family business.

So I was told to think about it for the next few weeks. but I decided I want go ahead asap.

They then washed and dried my own hair and cut down the topper cap to fit, actually talking me out of the unit I had planned at twice the price.

The hair is wavy which is how my hair is now so I cant be a staight girl or it would not look natural with my own hair.

With my topper I will have to grow my own fringe longer to blend it better. My hairloss is mostly crown and cenre part. But my fringe is paper thin with a small bald spot to the left.

I know their ar a lot of topper wearers on the forum, I am trying to get myself ready to wear her to work on Monday, damn scarry eh?

The lady at the shop put it up, I tride to do this myself the layers kept falling out so I might as well brave it down.

Nobody I work with has ever saw me with my hair down so I hope its not too shocking and I can just say hey had a new cut hilights and a few extentions. I keep reminding myself loads of women wear them add on ponytail hir pieces so whats the difference. :lol:

Love Sarahx

Love
    Sarahx

2. Amy

Amy Guest

Hey Sarah! I saw your pic on Wig Support. I promise you no one will know it is a topper. The best thing is you will be wearing it down which no one has seen so they will just think that is the big change. The hair you got looks incredible. People who do not have our problem do not have any clue as to what toppers are. They will just think "Her hair looks great, must be a new cut and color" Know what I mean? Before my hairloss I would never suspect someone who suddenly had thicker hair as wearing a topper. I would just think they must have cut it or got a body wave or extensions or something. You should feel very good about wearing her to work and do not worry she looks so natural! Like you said, just tell people you got a great cut and some extensions for volume. People will leave it at that. HOwever, be prepared to tell them a place that you went to for the extensions bc they are going to think your hair looks so great they will probably want some of their own! :wink:

Congrats and good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Amy

3. VAgirl1

VAgirl1 Guest

I am curious why extensions are fine and great and totally acceptable, but if you wear something like a wig or topper it has a stigma..
    they basically have the same principal except one clips in one is GLUED on.
    i just don't get that, and every single celebrity we lay eyes on has some kind of "work " done to their hair.

Pumpkin
    YOU HAIR LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! ( I am rcsmom3) on WS, I posted to your post, I think you look wonderful, you should be happy.

4. bayareagirl

bayareagirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so excited for you Sarah as you look so great. I agree with everything Amy said. People not in our situation have no idea about toppers etc. Unfortunately there is less of a stigma associated with extensions. Tell them whatever makes you feel comfortable (or nothing at all!). You'll get a positive reaction I'm sure in any case.

For me, it's nice to see a real example of a blond topper (as I am) as lots of wearers on this sight have darker hair, so I'm very excited too to see something look so natural.

Kate

5. KY girl

KY girl Guest

Hi-
    I just saw your new pics of your topper on WS. It looks really nice. It actaully looks like it belongs on your head.
    I just bought one as well and the clips bother me. I need to work on that a bit. Maybe you can consider bonding? Are you ready for that? I'm not emotionally ready for it although it seem s like a better option.

6. polly

polly Guest

Hi Sarah,

Glad it went ok and wasn't too traumatic. I'd love to see your pics but i'm not a member of wig support

If the girls say it looks good it must do! really, we're all worried that people will notice therefore wouldn't lie. :)

if you don't mind me asking where did you go?

Hugs,

Pol x

7. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

VA Girl I totally agree with you ... being an extension wearer at the moment I consider it no different from wearing a topper .. because in reality most of the hair people see is not mine ! ... I dont understand why we are all made to feel ashamed about it .. I mean after all how many women do you know who have fake nails, plastic boobs, and face lifts ! what we are doing is covering something that we are not happy with !

Sarah babe you look FAB ... I hope you get the hang of those clipsx