Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can Multiple Te's Over Many Years Cause Androgenetic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by tula, Oct 6, 2018.

1. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking over old photos going back 15 years. I noticed that in some I have thinning in my part and others it is filled in. I did apparently have a small TE after having both my kids, I also apparently didn't notice! It also seems that I had it come and go depending on birth control pill use.
    I had a TE set off by a hormone balancing supplement and now it hasn't stopped and I have almost no regrowth after almost 3 years. But when I style my hair (it's a short cut) you can't tell. But if I were to part it in the middle or pull it back, I can see how thin it is. My temples are the worst followed by the front hairline.
    My moms hair had diffuse thinning after being thrown into menopause from a full hysterectomy. Did all of my TE's just start mine off substantially younger??
    I am really struggling lately on if I should start Rogaine or not. I am so worried about a major shed from it and having bald spots.
    Does anyone have experience with this?

Farrah711 likes this.
  2. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Look up Accelerated Follicular Miniaturization from Prolonged Shedding (AFMPS) by Dr Donovan. He says that if you are already genetically predisposed to getting Androgenetic Alopecia, then TEs will essentially speed up the genetic hair loss. So let’s say genetically, you’d notice Androgenetic Alopecia in your 50’s. If you suffer from multiple prolonged TEs, you may notice Androgenetic Alopecia in your 40s or even 30s.

I myself am worried about this because I am on my second bout of TE, the first of which lasted 3 years and this one has been going almost 2 years. I’ve come to accept that because I have a bald grandfather and uncle, there is a good chance that I will eventually start to show signs of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Dr Donovan states that stopping the shedding in individuals like this is of upmost importance. Well... if I knew how to stop the shedding I would have a long time ago ;)

tula and Farrah711 like this.