Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can people with Alopecia Areata wear toppers?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Sissy, May 9, 2006.

1. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Just wondering, thinking that it would be good to have just in case. I am worried that the combs on the sides will losen my existing hair. What do you guys think about that? I wouldn't be wearing it everyday, just when I have to.

I have a wig that is very close to my own hair color and Im thinking that I might cut it to make a topper like Kimmy does. I would also have to cut the hair to match the same length of my hair as well and Im not that I am that talented.

I'm getting kinda jealous of Kimmys great hair! :lol:

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Kimmy's hair looks amazing i agree I look at her pics with envy :D

I would think if your existing hair is stable and the areas are not active that youcould get away wiht a topper ... I cant see why not .. however the clips can I hear anyway be fairly painful ... a friend of mine couldnt wear them as she said it did cause irritation to her head ..

Another question is do thes clips cause allergies if you have the nickel allergy !! I just thought that

3. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Thanks Sally,

I too think that it could make your scalp a little sore but over time I would probably get used to it. I don't think that I need it right now but I just want to have it on hand just in case I do ever need it.

I don't have any allergies, so that is good.

Take care...
    Sissy

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sissy, :)

This is what I have learned about toppers on Wig Support:

A topper is used for people with hairloss mainly on the top & sides of the head or general diffuse thinnning all over the head.

You must have some hair on the sides and back to wear a topper successfully. Very little hair is required to secure the topper.

Traction alopecia should not be a problem with a topper. If one of the topper clips is pulling you just need to unsnap it and resnap it to release the tension. It should never feel like it is pulling on your hair.As long as it doesn't move if you give it a little tug you hav eit secured properly.

Hope this helps Sissy. I could have avoided going into a full wig long before I did if I had known that toppers existed.

Take care. Hugs Joann

5. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Thank you Joann,

That is exactly the info I was wanting to hear! This is good news for me, as I am hoping to find a good topper and some clip-in hair pieces that are smaller, just to give my hair a thicker appearance when needed.

Claire was talking about seeing a booth at her local mall that sells tons of great synthetic pieces, so I am going to see if I can find the same here. Since I live right outside of Dallas, I shouldn't have any problem finding a place that sells that type of thing. Just good to have if needed. One with Alopecia Areata never knows what tomorrow will bring, right?

Thanks again Joann, I knew one of you gals would come through for me....

Sissy :D

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sissy,

You're very welcome :)

If you live outside Dallas, there is a company : http://www.wigs.net that has a store located in downtown Dallas. If you look at the site there is a map of where the store is located.

I have ordered a wig online from them and was pleased with their service.

Take care. Hugs. Joann

7. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Good to know, I will be totally checking that out.

Thanks again,
    Sissy