Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can Someone Recommend Best Place To Buy Wigs In Nyc

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Marsha, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I’m new to the community. I feel with more and more hair loss there is not much left to do but buy a wig. I’ve had everything checked out and all test results fine. Currently taking propecia and using rogaine but still very fine hair with loss. I have seen women with very expensive wigs and they look horrible. I live in NYC and wondering if anyone here has recommendation where to buy one. Thanks.

2. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much. Will check it out.

3. Tulip

Tulip New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, the best wig shops are in Harlem, on the block of 125th near the Apollo Theater. There are two huge shops and the people working there are very helpful. Plus they'll trim bangs or do other styling for a little extra money. There are great wigs online but for your first ones you should head to the shops and see what's available...so many choices!

4. ksk

ksk New Member

Dislikes Received:
    H
    Hi, I am a New Yorker. If you are willing to spend for a human hair wig go to Flora in Teaneck, New Jersey. She can get you any color hair (mine is red and really hard to match and maintain). I had bad experiences with Merria Dearman ($4,000 wig in the trash after a few months). Dov is a nasty man with no compassion. Andrew DiSonno is the kindest person and has a great selection; I think he has both synthetic and HH. I hope this helps. It’s hard enough to struggle with hair loss; dealing with replacement hair is not easy even in NY.

5. Shula

Shula New Member

Dislikes Received:
  6. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much. Will check it out.

7. Tulip

Tulip New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Also....forgot to mention that there are some amazing cheap wigs, and if you want to spend around $200 you can get a terrific one. I've been bald for about two years, and have come to prefer synthetic to human hair. It's easier to manage, holds its style, and I get compliments on "my" hair all the time. The cheaper human hair wigs are made from low-quality hair. Good luck!

8. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again!

9. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much. Will check it out.

10. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
  11. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

Dislikes Received:

12. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

Dislikes Received:
    After probably 2 very frustrating years researching wigs, I finally contacted Fortune Wigs in Brooklyn (I'm in Alabama) Probably due to low thyroid and menopause together, ....I now have extremely thin hair. I barely have hair, but I have just enough around my face and back that with one of Fortune Wigs' toppers, which is almost a wig, but maybe somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 wig, I can let my own hair line show. I can even put my hair in a French twist or pony tail and it looks like it's mine. Fortune Wigs told me something that I would not have known looking at their web site, which is that they will customize a topper, making it all hand tied, with no wefts. (I hate wefts and the risk of them showing) All of their tops have the skin look scalp and hand tied hair in the area of the silk, but unless you order the topper customized with ALL-hand tied, you would get the wefts. They have the option of European fine hair at a high price. But, as one with fine hair, I went with their "Mazli" topper, except that with my customizing, they obliged me with the finest hair they have in that line and...with body, per my request. My customization only added $100. When I got the hair, it was incredibly thick. So, I thinned it with thinning shears. I cut my own, because based on my experience I don't trust hair stylists a lot. I LOVE the hair!!! It acts like real hair because it IS. Fake hair will not do what real hair does. I've read too many reviews from wearers of synthetic hair and those hair pieces don't last long. The synthetic hair goes bad usually in "two to three months" and they shed. They are also subject to melting in front of an oven. So, no, I did not want that. Unless I'm in heat, washing my topper doesn't have to happen but about every two weeks or so. Some recommend less washing than that. I've had mine 1 1/2 years and it has had no problem shedding and still looks beautiful. The scalp looks incredibly natural. My own mother could not believe it and was happy for me that I was able to look like I would normally look. I had worn my hair up for 5 years, because of the thinness and was able to disguise that thinness with Toppik coloring my scalp and I'd wrap my hair around a synthetic hair pony tail holder. But, as that was growing more difficult to manage, this topper saved me. My number 7 light brown color did fade in time, just like my own hair fades after coloring it, so I color my topper and it matches my hair perfectly. I think what is a bit of a problem for some people who buy real hair and don't like it is that they don't realize you have to work with them a little to get them right for you. Most of them are too thick, which is what looks unnatural, especially in the bang area. They have to be cut and thinned and washed. In the end, the hair is natural and so it looks natural. In July of 2016 I got this piece for $580. It has been worth every penny and more! I cannot express enough how much I love it. I will be getting another soon, as a back up, and plan to buy during one of their many sales. Wishing you all the best!

13. Marsha

Marsha Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for very toughtful and informative reply. I live in Manhattan and therefore very close to Brooklyn so I will certainly check them out. Thank you again and very best wishes.