Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

can someone tell me more info on alopecia areata

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by cowgalcarly, Feb 16, 2008.

1. cowgalcarly

cowgalcarly Guest

:lost: hello there can someone help me answer some questions ?
    my younger sister has had alopecia areata all her life and she has learnt to deal with it really well and a few months ago i found bald patches on my head and thought it was due to stress '
    so went to the doctor and he told me i have alopecia areata ' and that Alopecia Areata is hereditary through the girls in my family ,and am really worried that my 9 year old daughter will have it as well................................ : :sobbing:
    so i went home and asked my mum if she has had any hair loss problems she told me in her younger days she did , and my sister told me a confession she has had it all her life thats' why she has all ways shaved her head ,{ i thought she shaved it cause she was gay },so im starting to get scared and dont know what to do next ' when i found my first bald patch it didnt really bother me but in just one month i now have 5 bald patches and they seem to be getting bigger ,
    what steps do i take to get me through this ' cause doctors said there is not much they can do ..........please help me someone

2. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

hi cowgal,
    in the internet you can find lots of reasearch however alopecia, not always in hereditary.
    i am the only one in the family, and we are 3 girls.

this is site where you can download a good book on hairloss

http://www.drrobertjones.com

are you using something?

3. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

and i surely am not gay!

i were wonderful wigs, that you can't say they are not hair

4. sadlady

sadlady Guest

Hi,
    I too am the only one in my family with Alopecia Areata - no one in my family has a problem with hairloss, and we are two girls. Mum has never had Alopecia Areata either. But my sister in law has Alopecia Universalis (alopecia universalis). She has had Alopecia Areata since she was a little girl, and after the birth of her first child it turned into Alopecia Universalis. She has dealed with this beautifully - I did not have a clue what she has been going trough until now. And she is so beautiful whitout hair - its a part of her now, I can not imagen how she would look with hair. But it has been hard for her, but even so she is really a role model for me now - you can survive this, and you can survive it and become even stronger! (Even if it does´nt feel like that just now - but I guess it is mainly a question of time - you have to go through the denial, then be angry and maybee after that you can accept it. And sometimes you go through all this emotions in one day - you start with thinking you have accepted iy, then you start to cry and so on. At least that is how it is for me). But she told me it is really, really hard when it starts. It is exactly as you write, Samantha, you get a new look and it takes time to adjust. I am still adjusting, and trying to come to terms with the hairloss. It is so good to here that it gets better! I am thinking of getting permanent eyeliners, just to get some colour back in to my face. Life is really a rollercoster - up and down, and up again. I think I am slowly going up again, after being down a long time - thank yoy for being here! It makes it easier to share it with you, that truky understands what I am going through. It is really supporting when you´re down.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

lol!
    most women who wear the bald look are not lesbians.
    on the contrary, many beautiful bald women are with handsome men.

6. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Being bald shows the true femininity of a woman.

7. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Carol - you're really confusing me. Bald beautiful women are actually handsome men!?! :freaked2: Lol. I'm hoping that's not what you meant. But if it is, please explain...

Cowgirl - I think you should look on the bright side that you have people to talk to who have experienced the same kind of problems. And don't worry about your daughter. I'm sure there's nothing that says she will definitely have Alopecia Areata as well but I guess it won't hurt to try be strong through your Alopecia Areata so that if she starts having hair loss when she's older, she'll be reassured that it's something that can be lived with. Just look at Carol. If you were her daughter, you'd know that it was not the end of the world and that hairloss is something that can be adapted to.

Crikey, whilst writing this, I've pulled about ten hairs off my jumper. How is it you look down one minute and there's none there and then the next minute, they are just appearing everywhere? Could they not try staying attached to my head when I'm wearing black? Inconsiderate hairs.

8. angieangie

angieangie Guest

"Crikey"... Redheaduk, you're so cute. I love that word.

9. cowgalcarly

cowgalcarly Guest

Re: was not meaning anything about gay people

:hairy: i did not mean because some people with Alopecia Areata are lesbians because they are bald '
    was just referring to my sister who is {GAY} sorry for the misunderstanding ,
    of what i was talking about and i love my sister gay or straight , my sister is my world'' i speak to my sister every single hour not one goes by with out us talking to or seeing each other .

10. Guest

Guest Guest

lol!

obviously i meant that beautiful bald women are WITH handsome men!

i am sure you understood that it was a typo.
    i corrected it.

11. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Sure did but it was a funny typo. I had this vision of all bald women being like Ru Paul. If I looked half as good as him/her when I go bald, I'll be happy. Being ginger and prone to sunburn and flaky skin I think he is probably not the ideal style model.

Cowgirl - I know what you meant about your sister. One of my gay friends still talks about when she got her first 'lesbian' haircut, short, spiky with a really cool colour. Even though her mum had met a couple of her girlfriends by then, that's what confirmed to her that she really was gay. It's a funny story when she tells it.