Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can wearing a wig slow hair growth?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by dragonfly, Mar 30, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been wearing a wig pretty much full time for a few months now, and it seems that my hair is not growing at all. I can see new growth around the front hair line, but almost no growth in the rest of my hair. I'm wondering if wearing a wig can slow hair growth due to lack of oxygen getting to the scalp? What do you all think? Maybe it's just this stupid Androgenetic Alopecia :sobbing: .

2. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

yeah, i always am thinking that also.. and then someone posts I'm paranoid and it has no effect...LOL.. I'm just a paranoid person i guess :)

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My husband thought it would be similar to wearing hats, and that doesn't seem to have an effect, but he was the one who commented that my hair doesn't seem to be growing :dunno: .

4. angel706

angel706 Guest

Well, I don't know, but I was once told by a dermatologist that it wouldn't have an effect unless there were pressure points causing a lot of rubbing, and even then it would likely only be in spots, and would be reversible.

I've been wearing a clip-in topper daily for about 8 hours a day for nearly 9 months now, and while I've noticed a small amount of breakage where my front clip goes, the rate of my hair growth is not slowed...not one little bit. I still have visible gray roots at 2 weeks.

Granted, a topper is a bit different from a wig, but still...the top part of my head is fairly tightly covered for several hours a day, and no slowdown in growth.

5. muttrain1975

muttrain1975 Guest

Thats a really good question..I was thinking like your husband with the hat theory. I just started wearing a wig but for the past few months I have always had my hair cover by a wrap. My hair is still growing...for now anyway.
    I'm very curios to find an answer to that question,and so glad i'm not alone in thinking this!

6. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

I've heard the opposite, that maybe the warmth causes increased blood flow

7. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Yes i agree. I think my wigs helped my regrowth. Someone (i think it was valentine) suggested it to me here and then i mentioned it to my derm who said it was more likely to help