Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can weight loss make cysts go away and lower androgens?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by WorriedMom, Apr 19, 2011.

1. WorriedMom

WorriedMom Guest

Hello everyone,

I have Androgenetic Alopecia pattern hair loss, hirutism, and was very overweight. I forced myself to lose 100 pounds or so and when I finally broke down to go to the doctor about the hair loss, she tested my hormones and said that they were in the normal range. (Testosterone was 41.) I also didn't have any cysts on my ovaries. Is it possible that my androgen levels were abnormally high all those years as a result of PCOS and my weight loss put them in the so called normal range and made the cysts go away. I always noticed that when I gained weight, I stopped menstruating, but when I dieted and lost some weight, my periods started back again. Could I have PCOS and it is kind of dormant right now? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hello,

First of all, congrats on your weight loss! Weight loss will most definitely improve PCOS. It is one of first and most important treatments for PCOS, so it is definitely possible, even probable that your Androgen levels were much higher prior to your weight loss. Weight loss lowers your Insulin levels and in turn lowers your Androgen levels. This may also resolve any cysts that you may have had because when some women lose weight they also restore normal ovulation. The string of pearl cysts that some women (approx 20%) with PCOS have are from a lack of ovulation.

This statement is from page 2 of the link below:

If you have PCOS and are overweight, weight loss may be all the treatment you need. Even a small weight loss can trigger ovulation. Weight loss of as little as 5% to 7% over 6 months can lower your insulin and androgen levels. This restores ovulation and fertility in more than 75% of women with PCOS.

http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ov ... t-overview

Have you had your insulin/sugar levels checked yet? I have insulin resistance that had already progressed to Diabetes by the time I was diagnosed with PCOS. I am now on Metformin, which has helped my cycles become more regular. I am slowly losing weight and I am starting to see a difference in my symptoms. I know continued weight loss will help my symptoms continue to improve, maybe even my hair.

Hope this helps :)