Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can wigs and yoga mix?

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by catfancy, Apr 16, 2012.

1. catfancy

catfancy Guest

After a few years of being somewhat sedentary, I've become quite active again over the past year or so. This is big for me as I had severe anxiety about going to a gym because of my hair. I was able to get over it and I just go in a wig.

I wanted to try yoga again and I wanted to do a class at my gym, but I'm a bit too scared to go to any kind of class in case there's a "mishap."

Do any wig wearers do yoga? Any advice on how to keep the wig on? Bad experiences? Good experiences? I know I can wear tape and bobby pins (I have enough biohair to clip it to), but I'm afraid that won't be enough.

I already tie a bandana down over my wig every time I go. Any advice is appreciated. I'm also considering a cardio kickboxing class and have many of the same anxieties. It took me YEARS to get up the nerve to get on an elliptical while wearing a wig. Silly, but true.

2. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long do you wear your hair? are you wearing a wig over your own hair - can you braid your hair and the wigs' together, that could help.

Scarves are your friend. Silk ones don't damage hair fibers (human or synthetic). Google Jewish scarves and you will find ways of tying them that ware quite stylish - and secure. ie:

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/jerusalemtwist.pl

3. Vlal

Vlal Guest

The bandana thing works quite well, but you also might want to look at the scarf option some women doing Kundalini yoga wear on their head. They wear a white scarf or turban to protect the crown chakra. I wear scarves like this sometimes and I also wear turbans and silk wraps. You can either do a bun style or a headwrap. The wraps are really secure if you do them tightly enough.

[​IMG]

You could also look at a Buff, which can be worn in a tucked in reverse turban style and is good because the fabric is constructed to wick away sweat for athletes.

Attached Files:

4. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Oh, these are all very good suggestions! I actually have some of those Jewish scarves but I've never worn one over a wig. Ditto for the Buff. I used to wear them out and about (or at home if my head got cold) but never over a wig.

The wigs I've been wearing lately are rather long, so I might be able to braid bits of biohair into it.

I didn't know that people sometimes wore head wraps for Kundalini yoga! I think I can tie my scarves like that. I'll do some practice runs at home before I try it at the gym, but I feel a lot better now.

5. Alliegator

Alliegator Guest

I agree... Scarves are your friend. If you have any scarves currently in your closet, you could probably wear the majority of them on your head. You could wear it over a wig, or without a wig.

My suggestion would be to try doing some yoga poses at home with a wig on, and you will get a feel of what it would be like at the class. I don't think it would come off, but that is my opinion. I wear a scarf or hat when I exercise. And like Vlal mentioned, I have heard great things about Buff.

Vlal... I like that first pic that you posted. That is how I wear my scarves (but without the hair underneath).

6. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I think it also depends on the poses - the ones where you put your head downwards will be the problematic ones (if there is going to be a problem). It partially depends also, I think, on the length of the wig as the ones that are long are heavier.

Another option is to get some kind of cosmetic hair to peep out from under the scarf like a fringe... and just not wear the wig. Like these: http://www.hatshow.com.Alopecia Universalis/fringes.html

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do both yoga and Pilates wearing a clip-on topper. I've had a few "oops" moments but not with yoga (except when the instructor did a brief neck rub while we were relaxing at the end of the class and I was afraid she would go too far up my scalp and feel the topper edge). I make sure the topper is securely clipped and wear a bandana folded into a strip around my head like a headband and tied at the nape of my neck. Namaste!

8. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    I find the knack to security is to get the nape of the wig below the knot of the scarf, that stops it riding up. To do this I leave some hair at the bottom down then tie up the remaing hair, wrap the scarf around, tie at the back then pull the nape of wig down before twisting the ends to tie at the front on the top, the loose ends I twist and tuck into the twisted bit, really secure then :) then I let hair down. The scarf needs to be well forwards towards the forehead with the knot again to stop it riding backwards. I use long scarves about 130cm to do this and headwraps. Chiffon or cotton scarves definatly hold the best,I do use silk but suggest you try the others first until you get the hang of it :) Never had a mishap yet ;)
    Enjoy the yoga !

9. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Thank you so much, dancer! I have a cotton scarf that is 42" (114 cm) long and I think that would be perfect.