Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can you cure dépression?

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by cocoa, Apr 13, 2015.

1. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you girls had been able to overcome her depression. It goes beyond this hair loss thing, as far as I can remember I have always been that gloomy, quiet and reflective person. Even when I was a teen and did not loose my hair yet ( or did not notice it yet). I long to be cheerful and enjoy my life. Any tips?

2. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I guess no one has tips on how to become a happy person :(((.

3. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow - tough question. I've always been a very positive person (annoyingly so, I'm sure) so can't really relate.

i do have a close friend though who has benefited from doing some reading around 'being in the moment' and has found this helpful.

I think more naturally positive people just do this automatically, letting go of past issues and not worrying too much about the future, but some people need to work at it.

sorry, not very helpful but just wanted to reply since no-one else did.

4. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's too big a question to answer really. If you think you have depression, it's better to go to a doctor and talk to them about it than ask this forum.

5. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Im depressed but only because of my hair/scalp issues. Many years ago I took meds for depression when my BF left when I was preg. (Took meds after the baby) Took them about a year and it helped a lot. Helped me sleep too. Hope you feel better!

6. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to reply to your first post with some positive thoughts but, unfortunately, I have been more depressed than ever since my shedding picked up about a month ago. Check out the Follicept-What's This? thread on Bald Truth. Hope there's something to it. I've had depression in the past, tried several meds and counseling, but nothing has helped. Hair loss has changed my life forever. There is absolutely nothing anyone could say to me that would make me feel better.

7. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that being gloomy, quiet, and reflective means that one is necessarily depressed. That sounds more "contemplative." Clinical depression is serious, as in one cannot get out of bed in the morning to face the day, is persistently sad, and has a complete loss of interest in life.

I tend to be a positive, cheerful person, so it is hard for me to relate, but my daughter (now 22) has always been contemplative and/or moody. I have frequently told her that the best way to feel more positive and better about yourself is to spend some time volunteering or helping others. She has found that to be so. Also, another way to feel more uplifted is to spend time in nature... Find somewhere outdoors that you enjoy being and regularly take yourself there. Drink in the natural beauty around you. Finally, something that really helped a friend of mine, who was going through a horrible divorce and child custody battle, was to keep a "blessings journal." She kept a small journal on her nightstand and every night before she went to bed she wrote about something in her life that she was blessed to have. It helped her a great deal and she says that, slowly, her life has become more positive.

I'm not sure if any of this helped, but I feel for you and hope that you can effect some change for yourself so that you can have some joy in your life.

Best Wishes and aloha!
    Anne

8. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for your answers ladies!

JKSZ, I tend to feel like you, even though I was already unhappy with some aspects in my Life, hair loss was Kinda like "the last straw". I spend a lot of time thinking about it, or rather feeling depressed and sad about it. Can't afford any wigs for the moment, besides toppik but it doesn't work a lot. So I just feel ugly most of the time :(.

Noalani, my contemplative nature has some bouts of depression to it. I'm quiet, gloomy and négative because I have these permanent négative racing thoughts, and there is nothing i can do about this :(. I try to focus on positive things but I naturally come back to the négative. It is really hard. And not very attractive, i have very few Friends because of this, most people tend to avoid me because of that gloomy nature. Only people who Know me very Well or for a long time have stayed.

I guess i should see a shrink. Especially since this hair loss thing is very hard to go through. But guess what , it is expensive ( here I'm négative again, or as i like to put it realistic lol)

- - - Updated - - -

And like you said I should find a way to help others, so the focus shifts away from me. That could help.

9. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Cocoa:

If you are having these negative thoughts consistently racing through your mind and are suffering from chronic depression, then you may want to consider seeking counseling. You mention seeing a therapist as expensive but, honestly, if you can work with someone who really helps you then the benefit(s) to you will be priceless. I sought help from a therapist when my marriage went through a rough patch and I found the sessions invaluable. You might check around with friends and family and see if there is anyone they'd recommend. Taking care of our mental health is as important as taking care of our physical health...sending you my best wishes.
    Anne

10. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Accepting that I will always have to wear hair (currently a topper) until mad sience comes up with a cure helps me - I'm not happy about my situation but its nothing I caused or can do anything about (believe me, I've tried) except cosmetically - so I just keep on keeping on.

11. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you ladies for your very Nice answers. I ve always wanted to see a therapist, but I really, really can't afford it right now :(. And if I had that Kind of money, i Would prefer to invest in a good wig or topper actually :).

12. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Cocoa, I don't know much about healthcare in France, but is there any way to get reduced-price or free counselling? Here in the UK, obviously the NHS provides a certain amount of free counselling, but there are also a number of charities and organisations that provide access to free or discounted counselling to people who need it. It might be worth looking online for French charities and so on that might be able to help.

There are also a lot of helplines and text or email services that can give you someone to talk to... again, I only really know about the UK so I can't link you any numbers for your country, but one international website I know of is 7 Cups of Tea where you can talk to somebody sympathetic and be anonymous. I've had mixed luck on there because sometimes the website is slow and disconnects you, and because it's all volunteers sometimes people don't know what to say, but it can really help with moments of loneliness and hopelessness when you feel like you can't talk to any friends/family, just to know there are kind/sympathetic strangers out there.

CBT self-help books and workbooks might be something worth looking into too. There are also a lot of free CBT and DBT self-help resources on the internet. Also, there are Youtube videos which can offer some advice or words of wisdom, including youtube videos by licensed therapists and psychologists. There are also some mobile phone apps that can help with anxiety like this one so there are probably ones for depression too... I know there are a lot of mindfulness apps, videos and books out there, so that might be worth looking into too. Although it's not as good as actually talking to someone in person, and it isnt a solution for depression or a cure, it can help ease the burden and help you find strategies of coping/managing with it :)

13. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow! Thank you so much, i Will have a look at those. Thanks!!!!!! :)))