Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can you take Spironolactone if you don't have PCOS/ have normal labs?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Larzeze, May 20, 2016.

1. Larzeze

Larzeze New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi!

I'm new to the forum, but I've been losing hair since 25 (I'm 33). I started being more aggressive with treament at 31, using Rogaine 5% once a day. I'm not seeing results. I'm seeing a new derm on Monday and I want to ask about Spironolactone. Has anyone had any success with it who does not have PCOS and has normal labs?

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took Spironolactone quite a few years ago, no PCOS or thyroid issue, iron was OK. I was in perimenopause so don't know that hormones were "normal" but they were good for my age.

3. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have PCOS and have totally normal hormones, and they happily prescribed me Spironolactone.

I didn't have success with it but didn't try it very consistently, as I found it hard to tolerate. You might have different results.

4. Larzeze

Larzeze New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, ladies. I'm going to the derm today to see if he will prescribe it. I've used Rogaine for 3 years. I'm not sure if I grew hair, but my hair didn't change. I stopped using it due to scalp issues. I'm hoping maybe Spironolactone will work for me.

5. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    What scalp issues are you having? I recently talked to someone where it took her SD away 95% on her scalp in just a couple week. I kinda want to try it also but doubt I will be able to get any. Plus I already have low blood pressure.

6. Larzeze

Larzeze New Member

Dislikes Received:

I have SD. I was prescribed ketoconazole 2% and a steroid foam.