Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Candida overgrowth

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sheeny, Aug 11, 2016.

1. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all! Unfortunately, I tested positive for candida. I kind of knew I would, to be honest. Candida sure does explain a ton of things that have been going on with me, not just recently but in the past as well. As a positive, this may be a critical piece of the larger puzzle that is my hair loss. Does anyone have experience with overcoming candida? I've done a ton of research on it & it is overwhelming & a bit scary. My dr suggested a few non lifestyle changing things that I can do to help, but man, this is going to be a long battle. Would love to hear from anyone that has had any (+/-) experiences with Candida & yeast overgrowth. Also, if any of you suffer from SD, might be a good idea to get tested for it...

2. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Candida overgrowth on your scalp? How are you treating it? I have SD and I use Nizoral/ T-Gel daily (to little avail) and I get yeast infections pretty frequently. I'm interested to hear what you and others have to say....

3. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    EPE, not just on my scalp- I tested positive via blood test. But the sd that I've had on my scalp for the past 5+ years may be a result of that. I also have/had it on my face, eyebrows, ears, etc to some degree. Yeast infections & absorption isdues in my gut as well, and inflammation most noticeable on my scalp. All these things are symptoms & by products of Candida overgrowth. My dr said I may have not have had hair loss before by luck, but I also have thyroid/adrenal issues going on so two years ago the dam just broke, so to speak. Also, backtracking, two months before my hair loss started I took a round of antibiotics. It may have sent the brewing Candida over the edge.
    I think that being on Spironolactone & some of my shampoos have helped but I will continue to flare up until I treat the Candida & root of my issues. It's very difficult to treat. I'm starting by being very strict about no gluten once again, as well as further vutting back on all sugars. I re started my probiotic, take a scoop of diameteous earth in the am & acv when I can remember.

4. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Geez. I'm so sorry to hear. Sounds like quite a lot to handle! What probiotic are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

5. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm now also wondering if yeast overgrowth is contributing to my hair loss. I had an outbreak of acne on my upper back and the dermatologist recently told me it's pityrosporum folliculitis, which is caused by yeast. It's also related to dandruff and oily skin, which I have. About 4 months ago I had a sebaceous cyst that became infected, and was on two antibiotics...and broke out in a rash. The derm didn't connect the yeast and hair loss, so I have no idea if it's affecting my scalp, but then I found this online:

“The prevalence of positive smears [indicative of a Malassezia infection] was significantly higher among subjects with hair shedding than among normal subjects. The study found that 89.92% of hair shedding subjects tested positive for a Malassezia infection while only 9.52% of those without hair shedding had a positive smear. The probability of such a result is only one tenth of one percent. Furthermore, the study quotes, “participants with positive smears had a significantly higher frequency of hair loss complaints and positive hair-pull tests.”

The Malassezia is the yeast associated with
    pityrosporum folliculitis. So, now the research begins. I've started a probiotic. Should I have my doctor test me for candida as well? Why is it so difficult to treat?

6. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    El Pato, I take one by Jarrow that needs to be refrigerated. 2 differebt dr's advised that the most effective have at least 10 strains, this one does ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't hurt to get tested. I read that blood tests can sometimes produce false negatives & stool testing is more accurate. Luckily, I did fine with just blood!
    It's hard to treat because as long as the yeast/bacteria is there it will continue to multiply so it's impossible to get rid of without drastic, aggressive approaches

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny- Interesting!! I have also had SD/Hair loss for almost 5 years. I was on MANY round of antibiotics before mine. I have done strict candida diet (green veggies and meat only) for almost 2 months, probiotics, Caprylic acid, oregano oil, and Monistat fungal cream on my scalp and many many SD shampoo. Nothing has helped yet :( Do you think the sprio is helping your SD? Also- have you dyed your hair recently? Mine scalp clears for a couple of weeks after I oclor it.

Scorpio-Where did you find that study?

8. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny, I didnt know doctors believed Candida overgrowth was a real thing? Where are you based?

I think I also may have a candida overgrowth but it seems nearly impossible to treat :(

9. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received: