Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Can't Take It Anymore. The Depression Is Real.

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Heather, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed my hair loss 2 yrs ago. I had blood work and all was good. Went to gyno....all good. Went to Derm and had a scalp biopsy (horrible experience) and diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia. I am the only female in my family to have this. I have 4 sisters. My mother doesn't even have hair loss. Tried Roagaine on and off with no luck....actually made things worse. I took Spironolactone up to max dose....no luck. Currently taking Propecia and all I have with that is weight gain and depression. The depression is real. Losing my hair and my mind. I take vitamins, I eat very well....fruit and veggies and all the good stuff. I am starting to want to hide and hole up. I currently wear extensions but that won't last at the rate I lose hair. I won't have hair to put the extensions on to! What do you do when all hope is Lost? How do you cope with going bald? My husband is all about the blonde pretty hair but I can't even get highlights anymore because of the damage they cause. I am so frustrated. This is consuming my life and my mind. I find my hair everywhere and try to throw every strand in the trash for out of sight out of mind, but it's all day every day. Just venting and very sad.

2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure that it is all your own hair you lose ? I currently wear extentions too and while it is no doubt that I was shedding more than enough the whole year due to the constant stress and similar thoughts you have, I noticed that lots of hairs which come out are actually these f******g extentions hairs, they are done so non-professionally and I have them not even 1 month ! Also when you say that your blood work is good - dont trust your doctor, do your own research, like for example some Drs say that ferritin of 40 is totally perfect. However I red in so many forums that to have it over a 100 is a must to keep hair in place. And - when we are stressed, body does not absorb vitamins and minirals well, I also red it somewhere online. We all must find ways to calm down, let it go and the rest will come.

3. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    I try and really do have periods where i don't think about as often. And then...BAM....shedding gets out of control and start depression all over again. My normal doctor and my Derm are happy with my blood tests....says all normal levels. But I don't want to believe them as I can't accept all is normal. Should I see an Endo perhaps? I read that suggestion somewhere. And I don't wear my extensions on a daily basis. Yea, I have noticed they shed too. Thanks for your reply. Let me know What you think about going to an Endocrinologist and if you have gone. Thx!!!

4. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I have been to three endocrinologists, one even specializing in reproductive endocrinology. I didn’t find any of them helpful. The only doctors I found somewhat useful were naturopaths and integrative health doctors.

5. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of either. I will definitely see if there are any in my area. Thank you!
    I am going to re do blood work and find out my ferritin level as well.

Has anyone tried Acupunture????

6. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    I went to one session of acupuncture, so I can’t really attest to it. It was more money than I was willing to spend on an unproven science.

Heather likes this.
  7. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My endocrinologist was pretty useless too.

Heather likes this.
  8. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone tried laser light therapy? Specifically the products you can use at home?

9. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently trying it so I can’t speak the the benefits. Have been for about one month. In truth, I don’t give much credence to it particularly for growing hair rather than just thickening what you have.

Be curious as to others’ experiences.

Heather likes this.
  10. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:

I would be happy with thickening!! If it works, let me know!

11. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely will.

12. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Heathter - do give a chance to an endocrinologist, but dont forget your own research too.
    Valentina - why did you find naturopath as the usefull ones, I am now desperately trying to make an appointement with one, but in these pre X-mas time is a bit difficult :-(

Heather likes this.
  13. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    I found naturopaths useful because they look at issues holistically. However, I found integrative medical doctors better because they are more willing to prescribe conventional (stronger) medicine than herbs, and the good ones also look at your medical situation holistically.

Yes, it’s difficult to get a quick appointment with the good ones.

Overall, I have found more support from doctors outside the insurance model (though I can still file an insurance claim).

Sofia1980 and Heather like this.
  14. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    I will try. Thank you! Question for you......what kind of extensions do you wear? I'm thinking about single sided tape ones but want to find the very best to buy that are undetectable. My hair is super duper fine.

15. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Heather, I feel your pain !!! I suffer from depression & anxiety due to my hairloss :( I barely left my house last year , couldn't go too work , couldn't sleep, didn't see my friends for nearly a year, cut myself off from everything & everyone...hair loss is so debilitating and I find most people don't actually understand how terrifying it is to be in our position, unless of course they are experiencing it themselves...You feel like you have no control over it, and it can be all consuming.
    I did have some success, after having a scalp biopsy and been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia, my dermo put me on Spironolactone 100mg x 2 a day, finasteride-2.5mg a day, Minoxidil 1mg x 2 a day.....I also take half a teaspoon of L-Tyrosine powder mixed with water twice a day (recommended by a Trichologist I saw)...I started to see some improvement on top, my hair started to fill back in.( I will attach photos) My anxiety was still extremely high though, so my doctor put me on Lexapro 10mg, I cut this back to 5mg, as I felt like it was making my hair fall out again.....however I was able to finally return to work and face people without going into complete panic mode....I actually started to feel like a normal person again. I did also see a psychologist to help me with my unrealistic view on what I thought other people were thinking when they looked at me , specifically my hair.
    The last few weeks , I have started to regress. My hair is falling out like crazy and is worse than it has ever been !!! It is more on the sides of my head now, as opposed to on top ...and also front hairline is receding badly.....Not sure if it is just going through a cycle and will hopefully come good again...or this is it and it will just continue to get worse !!! I look ridiculous with a wig on !! I have spent so much money on them, however can't bring myself to wear out in public ... Hair Fibres have been a godsend, I use Viviscal. I really hope that things come good for you Heather, as I do for all women suffering from this dreadful condition, including myself....

Attached Files:

Farrah711 and Heather like this.
  16. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dreadful is the perfect word for this. I haven't tried a wig yet, just extensions that I can take on and off. I found a really good Holistic Dr in my town that I am going to set an appt with. They run all the labs that regular doctors don't do/look for. I haven't really accepted my condition yet and still trying find an underlying cause. Wasting my time because it's most likely hereditary from my Father. He's all the way bald. Just being the only female in my family to go through this alone, really sucks. I am afraid I will want to do what you went through by staying secluded all the time. If I could wear a hat everywhere.....if only! That's the only time I feel confident. I am sorry you went through major depression. My heart aches because I can see how easy that can be to fall into. It's nice to know I'm not alone but it feels sooooo very lonely. I think I'm going to ask my Derm to put me back on Spironolactone with the Propecia I currently take. Crossing my fingers Holistic Dr will be helpful. Wish I could just super glue hair on my scalp and be done with this! HUGS!!!!

17. Heather

Heather Member

Dislikes Received:
    The difference between the two pictures is really amazing!!!!!!

18. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    @Boomba are you taking anything more with your regimen? Any hormones?

Also in the last weeks that you noticed the change, did you change anything in your regimen approximately two or three months before?

Farrah711 likes this.
  19. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, so very, very lonely...I am lucky that my husband has being so supportive, although he now admits that he was scared for me when it was at it's worst...He always tries to make me feel better about myself, but as you know, the demons in your head tell you something different. When first starting on the medications, I continued to lose hair and they made me extremely sick, however I perservered as I would rather be sick than have no hair.....(the sickness eventually subsided) I'm not sure if you have the burning tingling scalp , if so, Vitamin D3 1000IU helped calm that down for me (Trichologist recommended) He also said to take a tabet with Black Cohosh & Dong Quai.......so found some menopause tablets with both in it... Fusion Menopause.
    I added Silica tablets to my long list of pills a few months back, and read online yesterday that they can deplete all the vitamin B & other important vitamins/minerals in our body, so I binned them. My hair actually looks like it is deplete of any nutrients, just frizzy & dry....so am wondering if it is the Silica....... It seems to be an endless journey unfortunately, always on the look out for something to fix this bloody nightmare !! I gave up smoking about 6 months ago, hoping that was the cause and all would be well again, but no......Please let me know you go with the holistic doctor, am very interested.....It's good to be able to talk to people who understand. Although my friends are sympathetic, I feel like they think I am over reacting and always say they can't notice anything...I can spend anywhere up to 2 hours in the bathroom, trying to make it look like I have more hair, thickeners, fibres,etc... (very time consuming and exhausting) ...and probably doing more damage !! All the best x

Farrah711 likes this.
  20. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you girl. After two rounds of chemo it is a miracle I have any hair left. Did you try the oral loniten?